Find
Notify
Tools

Leaving LHR on a layover?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted
I've never traveled to Joberg via London...I have always flown out of ATL or D.C.

I'm planning our flights for our trip next year and one option is British Airways out of Seattle to Joberg going through London. Going and coming there is about a 10 hour layover. For those who have ventured from the airport...is that enough time to see some sights? Is it a good idea to leave LHR during a layover?

Keep in mind I will NOT be traveling with a firearm and my bags will be checked through to Joberg from Alaska.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Yes!

Take the train, not the bus.

That was my mistake last time.

I had about the same amount of time. Got in from Madrid in the morning and had a ton of time to see the sights. Except I was on a fucking bus for 5 hours making my way from one airport to another.

Gatwick, to Heathrow, to Standsted.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i have done a similar route 3-4 times and that is plenty enough time to go downtown. take the express train from LHR, not the regular train. saves almost about 45 minutes each way, ends at Paddington Station- an easy walk across Hyde Park to Buckingham palace. short cab ride to other attractions.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13147 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
What are some other interesting things to see?

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have plenty of time to see things in London. Enjoy yourself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/tr...nloads/tube_map.html

This is the tube map. Heathrow is in the bottom left of the map.

http://www.bing.com/maps/defau...London+map&FORM=MIRE

Interactive Map

Example: You want to see Big Ben, Parliament, Westminster Abbey. Leave Heathrow on the blue line. Go to the South Kensington station and transfer to the green line and go to Westminster. After that you can walk 10 minutes and be at Buckingham Palace. If you want to see the Tower of London/Crown Jewels/Tower Bridge just continue on the green line to Tower Hill station. This will be the simplest/cheapest way and take .75-1.25 hours one way from Heathrow

Check to see if South Kensington station is under construction. If it is make the transfer between lines at Hammersmith or Earls Court.

There are a lot of fun things in London. Enjoy!

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Dang! Thanks for the great information. It reminds of visiting Chicago...take the blue line to the red line, or switch to the orange line...etc. Haha. Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We booked at tour when my son and wife came to Africa with me, saw the changing of the guard, toured a palace and did some sight seeing. Got back at the airport 2 hours before our flight.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely worth leaving the airport for the day. You can purchase Heathrow Express tickets online and print them out before you leave.

In addition to the other suggestions on things to do consider lunch at Rules, London's oldest restaurant.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On one of my layovers in London, i went to Purdy's, Holland&Holland, and also short cab ride to the Rigby shop for a tour. All worth the while...

Posts: 162 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I visit our London office I always make the trip to the British Museum. The Changing of the Guard is not very exciting at all, and sometimes it is cancelled without notice. If you arrive on a weekday fairly early in the morning you can probably see the Tower of London before the crowds get too thick. Harrods is very near a tube stop.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AK145,

Everyone has given you good suggestions and SEA/LHR/JNB is my preferred route to Southern Africa. London is a walking town that Sadie and I have enjoyed many times and you can see a lot on your own but as suggested I'd do a tour if you only have the time between flights. London is hoot. Enjoy it!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds fun. We were going to have a 12 hour layover, and I think it is 10 hours now. So maybe the girls can catch a couple of sights.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Mark and others. Again...thanks for the responses. I'm looking forward to trying out BA, and the itinerary out of SeaTac fits our schedule great. I like the idea of arriving in Joberg at 0700 versus 1900...you don't lose a whole day and the jetlag has got to wear off easier that way. Also, since BA is partners with AK Airlines I can book straight from Fairbanks to Joberg with ease on one itinerary.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AK145

The arrival time in JNB has always been one of the best aspects of this itinerary. It's nor necessary to overnight in JNB as you arrive early enough to catch connecting flight to about anywhere.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well BA will take care of you and your guns.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope that BA does take care of my girls and my guns too as I went that way from recommendations of guys here. Wink

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote