THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    United Airlines Overweight Charges

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

United Airlines Overweight Charges
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got a call from L. David Keith. He and Mark are left Nashville this morning on United to Dules then on to Jo'berg. One gun case was 2lbs. over and the other was 6lbs. over. The charge was $150 per case for the overage.

David asked me to post this as they were caught off guard as they were expecting at most a $50 overage. He wanted to make sure everyone was aware of United's charges before they got in line at the ticket counter.

Pretty rough pricing IMHO. But I guess if you can gouge, you do. Especially in the airline industry.

David Walker

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Delta has a basic charge for all bags, then they have the same over weight charges. thumbdown

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Desperation, plain and simple.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UNITED WEB SITE

Tickets purchased on or after November 14, 2008 for travel on or after December 3, 2008

• Africa
• Asia via the Atlantic
• Middle East

51-70 lbs. 71-100 lbs.
$150 $400
per bag per bag

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9373 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DELTA WEB SITE

Weight Amount Fee
51–70 pounds $90 each-U.S. domestic; $150 each-travel outside the U.S.
71–100 pounds $175 each-U.S. domestic; $300 each-travel outside the U.S.
Over 100 pounds not permitted

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kathi. That clears it all up right there. Bottom line is don't go over or be ready to give up your first born for the infraction.

David Walker

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a retired ailine professional, I find these pricing schedules outageous. Lousy service has become the norm and the baggage charges are simple thievery.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
I just flew United from Buenos Aries to Washington Dulles, Business Class. for breakfast we were given sliced fruit and yoghert. Thats it........................pathetic

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
DELTA WEB SITE

Weight Amount Fee
51–70 pounds $90 each-U.S. domestic; $150 each-travel outside the U.S.
71–100 pounds $175 each-U.S. domestic; $300 each-travel outside the U.S.
Over 100 pounds not permitted

Kathi,

How much extra would an extra bag be on these airlines instead of the overweight charges?

on Delta or UA/SAA to Africa for example?

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To Africa

United 3rd + $250.00 per bag

Delta
Bag 3 $200.00
Bags 4-5 $350.00 each
Bags 6-10 $600.00 each

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kathi! That might be a better option than pushing the limit on weight!

I assume that is a one-way charge, all the way to the final destination?

I just found this at SAA too:
From/To SOUTH AFRICA 125 ZAR 650

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
These costs are obscene........ does anyone out there think it'd be worth buying some cheap hunting clothes etc when you get here and then just leaving them with the staff when you leave?

You can buy a cheap T shirt here for about US$8 -10, a cheapish khaki shirt for about US$20-25 and a pair of khaki trousers (pants to you Americans) for about US$2--30. You could probably borrow a jacket from your PH!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most people pack way too much crap because they fear they may need some gadget or toy that they did not bring. Carefull selection and packing of just the essentials should make it possible to get by without exceeding the posted weight limits.

But if one feels they have to bring everything they MAY need with them then just be prepared to buck up and pay the fees. What else you going to do?

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyedoc:
What else you going to do?

I'm beginning to think it might be worth the outfitter organising things like clothes and some toiletries etc and having them in camp for when the client arrives........ it'd save the cost and weight of one entire bag........ rather then just leave the lot with the staff........ to me, I'd rather see the staff get the benefit rather than the airline.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Maybe you should sell a package of clothes?

2 or 3 sets shirt, and trousers

1 medium weight jacket

1 Fleece vest

all laundered, folded and UPS/FedEx delivered to the specified outfitter!

All we need to bring then is hat, boots, socks and underwear!

Les

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Les,

Far too busy for that I'm afraid, but I was wondering about putting an order form etc on our shakariconnection site where the order would just be passed onto someone like a Trappers store who then either delivers it to the airport for collection or sends it to the hunting camp.

It wouldn't be a problem for us to do and if it's a service hunters would be interested in using, we'd be happy to do it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This could work if the outfitter or HO could handle the logistics on the other side. No reason it could not happen but so far I have not seen anyone step up and provide this kind of service.

If there are any of the old-timers still around that are old enough to remember
, hunters coming in were taken to the tailor and the bootmaker and fitted for their safari.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
All the outfitter would have to do is take delivery of a bag of clothes etc.

What I had in mind is a simple online form where the hunter clicks boxes to order the size and type of clothes he wants and then when he clicks submit, it just sends the order straight to someone like a trappers store who then contacts the hunter who then pays with paypal or credit card etc....... then the store puts the order together and sends it to the outfitter.

If it could work like that, we could offer it just as a free service where our benefit would be increased traffic to the site.

If the service needed our supervision, I guess we'd have to make some kind of small charge to cover our costs but frankly, I'd prefer the former option.

Sooo would anyone be interested in that sort of option?

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Solution: Take two pounds out of one bag and put it in the other so you only pay over weight fee on the single bag! Been there and dont that one. I also gave away a few frozen bison roasts to a airline counter attendant once to get a cooler in under weight.

Another solution......DON'T F(&$CKING CHECK ANYTHING! Screw the airlines! I have reached the point where, when I travel to hunt, I pack three of everthing I need in a carry-on just under the max dimensions. I will check a gun and ammo but that's it! You have daily laundry service in most cases for Christ's sake...how do hunters need so much crap? Anything I unexpectedly need, I can buy when I get there and leave with the staff as stated above.

JMHO

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I would have removed some items to make weight and carried them on. For example, my hunting boots weighed 6 pounds-- I wore them on the plane and put tennis shoes in the bag. I carried on my fanny pack and wrapped my jacket around it thus saving another 12 pounds. You get the idea. Weigh bags at home and give yourself 2 pounds leeway per bag is my approach.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Solution: Take two pounds out of one bag and put it in the other so you only pay over weight fee on the single bag!

I was thinkin' the same thing???????????????

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
I was thinkin' the same thing???????????????

Truthfully, the problem is also one of space and most guys pack so much crap that there is NO ROOM in any checked or carry-on bag for an additional two pounds worth of gear to save at least ONE over-weight fee. Of course, you could also probably derive a great deal of satisfaction by looking at the counter attendant and saying "FINE...i am putting 2 pounds worth of this S**T in my jacket pockets". Big Grin It would also be fun to take your bags to the restroom and proceed to put on three pairs of pants and four shirts to get a bag under weight. Then you just walk through check in and security, buy a cheap larger carryon at some shop in the airport, and dump everything (including your original carryon bag) in that. Some guys might see this as a lot of trouble...but I am cheap. Big Grin Wink Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not my suitcase that I check that causes me problems, I learned when traveling to Africa to pack lite. It is my gun case where the troubles lie. I usually take 2 rifles with me and with the case it will probably put me over on weight.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote