THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Tuffpak lock question and transporting ammo question.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tuffpak lock question and transporting ammo question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My son and I are taking our first trip to Africa.

My Tuffpak has the original integral lock with the round key, not the TSA accessible lock.

Is this still OK to travel without a TSA accessible lock on my gun case?

We are flying British Airways. In regards to transporting ammo, their website instructions say that if you are flying to South Africa your locked ammo case has to be checked separate of your checked luggage.

I was under the impression that your locked ammo case could be transported inside your checked luggage.

Is this a new regulation?

Has anyone flown BA lately that could tell me about this rule?

Thanks

Hook em Horns

Posts: 330 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your gun case shouldn't be accessible by TSA lock so you are ok on that front.

As to ammo, in Africa they require ammo be checked separately in its own lockable case.
That's what I have experienced in ZImbabwe , South Africa and Namibia.

I,use a small Pelican case with 2 padlocks for my ammo.
Remember it should be 11 lbs max. Or else I can't be shipped.
In South Africa they enforce this one as I have found out!

Cheers and enjoy Africa.

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was my understanding, and I have done it that way on the last 6 trips, that the ammunition must be in a locked hardcase, not to exceed 11 lbs and cannot be in the guncase. I have always placed it in my checked baggage and had no issues but then again, I'm not overnighting in Joberg, just changing planes.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Each airline has their own policies on if ammo can be in the same case as the rifle. SAA didn't allow it coming back from Africa but United did flying into Africa. It all depends on which airline you are flying.

Go to the website of the airline that you are flying with and check their "special handling", "dangerous goods", "sporting equipment" and/or "firearms" luggage rules/policies.

Print out the airline rules and take them with you when you check your guns in. Make sure that you check your firearms all the way through to your final destination. Also, you will have to retrieve your gun in Johannesburg to get your SAP gun permit if you are hunting anywhere in SA. You will need to put your ammo in a separate locked case for any domestic flights in SA.

I take a small 10"x6"x6" plastic box that will take a small TSA lock and put my ammo in it, inside my regular luggage with another TSA lock on it. Only your gun case cannot have a TSA lock on it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A little of topic. I went to Alaska's website to see if they would transport ammo in the gun case. Didn't cover that situation. Sent an email to them. Reply didn't answer question.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
A little of topic. I went to Alaska's website to see if they would transport ammo in the gun case. Didn't cover that situation. Sent an email to them. Reply didn't answer question.

Dave

I fly Alaska all the time. They don't care.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Put your locked ammo case inside your luggage and you may or may not be asked to check it separately. It seems to depend on the gate agent but at least this way you are prepared.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have flown British Airlines several times from LAX. I don't think they ever did things the same way twice. First time, packed ammo in a locked box inside my duffle, one time they even required the ammo to be with the rifles. However, the last time they required the ammo be packed separately and nothing (including clothing or boots could be in the rifle case. My husband and I use Tuffpaks. So final result was, our ammo alone in one Tuffpak and rifles alone in the other Tuffpak.

I always go to the airport, no matter which airline, prepared for almost any combination. Yes, on British Airlines, I'd definitely be prepared to check you ammo separately, and then if you have room and they allow it, put it in your duffle.

British Airlines keeps great track of your rifles and ammo, so just be flexible and have a great time.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have thought of getting a tuffpack,but the scenario above keeps me from pulling the trigger on one. What is the reasoning behind no clothing or boots in a tuffpack. How do you keep stuff from bouncing around with just 1 rifle. Even with 2 rifles there is a lot of space in the tuffpack.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny reb:
I have thought of getting a tuffpack,but the scenario above keeps me from pulling the trigger on one. What is the reasoning behind no clothing or boots in a tuffpack. How do you keep stuff from bouncing around with just 1 rifle. Even with 2 rifles there is a lot of space in the tuffpack.

It wasn't just Tuffpak, but rifle cases in general. And we were told it wasn't British Airlines, but SAP inspectors upon arrival. I suspect only Tuffpak were effected and that inspectors didn't want to search through all the stuff we could add to them. I don't know if this is still being enforced but BA wouldn't budge. Fortunately I had styrofoam in one of our Tuffpaks. That added to the 2 rifles in their soft cases kept rifles secure. But our 2 locked ammo boxes in one empty Tuffpak worried me. Everything came through OK. I should add that this issue occurred after we were already checked in and in the Business Class lounge. I was called back to check in counter and had to do all the rearranging there. When I took cases back to TSA the officer asked why I was coming through again!

I haven't had the need to fly BA since that trip or need to overnight in Jo'burg. Have flown South African Airways and stayed "in transit" to Harare; and Emirates via Dubai to Lusaka,neither of which cared about what other stuff was in Tuffpak. But I am prepared for any number of demanding or ignorant enforcement of misunderstood rules. Stay calm and flexible. Have a great hunt!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes adventure is when preparedness meets a challenge. Under the Axum is better to have it and not needed it than need it and not have it . I always have my ammo in a lockable case. That i place in my checked baggage. Most of the time there is no problem with this but on several occasions I was required to cheek it separately on SAA.

quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Each airline has their own policies on if ammo can be in the same case as the rifle. SAA didn't allow it coming back from Africa but United did flying into Africa. It all depends on which airline you are flying.

Go to the website of the airline that you are flying with and check their "special handling", "dangerous goods", "sporting equipment" and/or "firearms" luggage rules/policies.

Print out the airline rules and take them with you when you check your guns in. Make sure that you check your firearms all the way through to your final destination. Also, you will have to retrieve your gun in Johannesburg to get your SAP gun permit if you are hunting anywhere in SA. You will need to put your ammo in a separate locked case for any domestic flights in SA.

I take a small 10"x6"x6" plastic box that will take a small TSA lock and put my ammo in it, inside my regular luggage with another TSA lock on it. Only your gun case cannot have a TSA lock on it.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last September on BA we where required to keep ammo separate and out of luggage in a locked case going both directions.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to the website of each airline you are flying and print out a copy of their current regs for guns and ammo. Follow them and take the copies with you in case of ignorant employees. I bought a $9.00 lockable, plastic pistol case for carrying my ammo.

I put a big mailing label with contact info on both gun and ammo cases.

Zim counts shells on the way in and out so don't give any of your leftover ammo away.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny reb:

Not saying it couldn't happen but in over a dozen trips with ours to a variety or countries with a variety of carriers, having clothing packed in case with rifles has never been an issue.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Never have had it an issue either in 13 safaris. Who knows, though. tu2 I plan to pack mine with other things this time too. Big Grin I also use the TuffSak with the TuffPak.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
As far as ammo I use a Lockable plastic ammo case.
https://www.amazon.com/Plano-M...Custom/dp/B01IB1AZ3Q
The one I use holds 4 boxes of ammo. I put a private lock on it and notify the Airlines that I have ammo in my checked baggage in a lockable container with a private lock. Last April I had a Police officer check my Guns in JFK. He had me unlock the case and remove both rifles from the Hard case and then from their soft cases. He then asked about ammo. I told him it was in a locked container in my checked baggage and he asked to see it. I opened the luggage and he saw the case with a private lock on it and said thanks that's good enough.Other than that no one has asked to see the ammo at an Airport. They are getting stricter.

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am the OP.

BA in fact did require us to check our locked ammo cases separately from our checked bag. Everything went relatively smoothly with them.

The biggest pain was check in at Houston and Joberg. It took the agents 45 minutes in Houston and 1 1/2 hours in Joberg to fill out the paper work and decide how to label our gun and ammo cases.

Hook em Horns

Posts: 330 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

Make sure to put TSA locks on those ammo boxes.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
TSA does not require a TSA approved lock on Ammo.

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
TSA does not require a TSA approved lock on Ammo.

TSA lock is not "required" on anything......but if its not a TSA lock and they want in, then they will cut it.

When I don't have my ammo in the guncase, I use a TSA lock on the ammo container.....

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
What JTEX said tu2

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
They are suppose to contact you before cutting a lock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slider,

Do you want to be at the gate when they decide to cut the lock and have to leave security and them come back through security? Your right you do not have to use TSA locks on your ammo but it is a really good idea to do so. Slider I'm not trying to piss in your Cheerios but I do this for a living.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
There are lots of opinions on AR about locks, etc., but the fact is that whomever is the TSA person that handles your rifle case, they will do what they want and are immune from any repercussions.

I go to Kansas City each year to hunt in nearly Kansas. They won't allow anyone to view their screening of rifle cases. They will call for a key and if one does not hear the intercom voice, they will cut the locks. Happened to me.

In 2012 or 13, returning from Australia, TSA cut the locks off the gun case as it arrived on a different flight than did I, but they would not hand the case over to me as it could not be locked, thereby it could not be on the plane. The solution: the next day they did ship it to me in Alaska, no locks, with my treasured .600 double in it!

Twice, TSA (or whomever examined the bag) has stolen pain meds from my luggage.

Since I put TSA locks on all my bags, never a problem. I also keep my binoc and meds in my carry on. I carry extra locks for my SKB case (bought a TufPak, hated it, and sold it within a month).
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I have also had locks cut with NO contact. TSA does what ever they want.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Last October when flying out of Jacksonville, Fla to connect with an international flight to Croatia TSA did not inspect my gun case prior to me going through screening. I had TSA locks on my case. I got to the gate and overheard TSA page my name to return to the screening area. Once there they asked for the keys to my gun case. I then met another hunter in the same predicament. Only TSA just cut his locks and he had to purchase replacement locks in the airport and almost missed his flight. Therein lies the dilemma. TSA screening procedures are not consistent from one airport to another WHETHER ONE HAS TSA LOCKS OR NOT! But since you give advice for traveling hunters for a living maybe you can convince TSA to be consistent with their screening procedures nationwide.

One of Us
Picture of #1 of 13
posted Hide Post
It matters not what you use or do. Everyone has a opinion, some right some not so. The TSA will do what ever they want when ever they want, and then take it if they can make a quick dollar. Never pack medicine or anything of value in your checked bags, carry it on board in your carry on. That's been the standard for as long as I can remember. Just bring extra locks in your carry on and put a set in your rifle case. Who knows, if they cut off the locks they may put your spare ones on for you.

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019

Posts: 172 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As they do what they wish on any given day, we have taken to having duplicate lock sets for every orifice, both TSA and regular.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stan,

Looks like your saying you had TSA locks on your gun case. They would of had to call you out because TSA is not supposed to have access to your guns. You are supposed to be the only one that can open the case. That's why key or padlocks are used exclusively for the gun case. Look it up.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Folks,

Make sure to put TSA locks on those ammo boxes.

Mark

Just got back from Namibia, coming back on SAA you have to have your ammo separate from your checked baggage. Had a regular lock on the Pelican case, it was cut even though all the tags required for the ammo were on the handle. Going over , I had a TSA lock on my checked bag, it was torn up. So, coming back, the only thing that had any kind of lock on it was my gun case. Put a TSA lock on everything and take two or three extras.