New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lufthansa Anti-Gun Move
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was told by Gracy Travel that Lufthansa has implemented an assessment of $300 each direction for checking firearms. Adding $600 to the cost of a trip is a major pain. I bought tickets this week to Frankfurt via United paying a little more for the flight but saving several hundreds of dollars with this new assesment. I understand that this is also retroactive to those who have already purchased tickets but have not flown. Some folks are going to be in for a shock when they arrive at their airport.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really hope this is BS, but it probably isn't.... Roll Eyes

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently not...looking into tickets for travel via frankfurt to vic falls on Luftansa Gracy quoted 600 dollar surcharge for guns even with business class.

Posts: 97 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
I bought my tickets with Lufthansa to Frankfurt back in Sept 2009 for my upcoming June Namibia trip . . .

Anyway, I emailed Gracy Travel about whether or not I'd have to pay the $600 extra (given that this fee was not in effect when I bought the tickets, and that if it had been, I might have been able to get a better price from a different carrier). They told me that they were still waiting to hear back from Lufthansa regarding tickets purchased prior to this policy change. Not holding my breath . . .

The did say that the $600 was per gun case, not per gun. I was originally planning on carrying 3 rifles in two cases . . . now will only carry 2 rifles in one case (if I have to pay the fee).

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Turner - Total Travel Solutions
posted Hide Post
It appears this debate is going to go on for sometime until Lufthansa puts something in black and white, either way, so I figured I would add my two cents worth on how I interpret their regulations as they are written on their website.

quote:
Weapons used for sport or hunting must be declared and are then only charged for if they are transported in a separate weapons case. Small weapons, which are packed in checked baggage and which do not exceed the free baggage allowance, will not incur a charge.
Exception: a charge is always levied in the following countries: South Africa €50, Italy €60.

I guess the problem stems from the first sentence which in part states "...transported in a separate weapons case." I interpret this to read you will only be charged if you are checking a separate weapons case over and above the free baggage allowance (currently 2 checked bags not exceeding 23kg (approx. 50lbs) in coach class if traveling all the way to Africa).

The reason I interpret it this way is the fact they proceed the ruling with "Small weapons, which are packed in checked baggage and which do not exceed the free baggage allowance, will not incur a charge." In the case of rifles and shotguns packed in a gun case that fits within the free baggage requirements, there should be no reason to be charged, unless they exceed the free baggage weight and dimension allowance, in which case excess baggage charges would be levied. The question here is, are rifles and shotguns regarded as small weapons in the eyes of Lufthansa?

Finally if you read the information on what sports equipment are charged for, Lufthansa - Sports Equipment firearms and ammunition are not included again which leads me to interpret they will only be charged if exceeding the free baggage allowance.

I am trying to get Lufthansa to respond in black and white as to their interpretation of the rules so hope to be able to post something once I do hear from them!

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

Posts: 138 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
How about taking all the padding out of the riflecase, replacing it with your clothes etc and leaving your suitcase at home?

Then you could argue you're putting your firearm in a long thin suitcase full of clothes and therefore shouldn't pay the surcharge. Wink

How unfair is it that hunters pay US$600 for a riflecase but surferboards and golfclubs go free!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yet another reason I am seriously considering not travelling with my rifles next trip to Africa. It isn't bad enough that you fret over whether guns and ammo will arrive together, whether the rifle will be in good condition when it gets there, whether it will get ripped off, whether a TSA droid or other airport "official" will suddenly decide (five minutes before boarding) that a gun case is cause for alarm-- now we have to pay serious EXTRA money for the privilege of all this anxiety. It really is getting to the point where it just won't be worth it to bring along my own rifle.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if Lufthansa is that stupid. Fact is that I consider LH one of the best airlines for travelling with weapons, really good organized for years. Actually, I have even spent some holidays with LH exec's, never any problem.
However, if LH would choose their philosophy I would definitely not support them any more. Yes, I would loose my Frequent Traveller Status and Air Berlin would benefit from c.E 50.000 flight bookings per annum.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Maybe you could contact those exec's that you spent holiday with and get them to come to their senses, or to at least discuss this with those still there that can undo this non-sensical decision! Mad

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've boycotted the AIR NAZIS ever since they refused to transport our trophy shipments a few years back. This was after we had used them for 25 years. Mad
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote