New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo to South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this has been addressed regarding ammo in a gun case. But if the domestic carrier connecting to a SAA airlines flight allows it, and the bags are transferred to the SAA flight, it seems no one would know until you"re already there. Would the SAPS people care? I was under the impression it was SAA who are opposed to it.

My scenario is: I am traveling with my 7 year old son. I was hoping to just take a tuffpack and one other bag. I'm not fond of having the ammo all in one bag, but don't want to have it in a bag checked in under a 7 year old. Thanks, Rich.

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Yes, this subject has been covered many times. See Packing ammo thru South Africa.

If you are going to or through South Africa, my suggestion is to follow the regulations as prescribed by SAA regardless of which airline you are originating with. Taking a chance on getting by with something just for the sake of your personal convenience may result in a delay, a fine, or a visit to their jail. With a 7 year old along, I would not take that chance.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
And definitely don't put it in the 7 year old's bag.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just returned from out trip on United Airlines to Washington Dulles, and SAA to Joberg, and no one cared about my ammo.

Told TSA I had ammo in the luggage, and they said, "Thanks, have a nice time", and sent them thru.

Arrived in Joberg just fine.

Also flew around RSA on SAA domestic flights, and no one cared there either.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
Guess it depends who at the SAA ticket/checkin counters ask any questions/feel/having a bad day/hey lets just plain harass some hunters today about ammo. When I flew with them from Joberg to Windhoek and was checking in guns and ammo (my carrier to Joberg HAS NO baggage agreement with them) they made me take the ammo out of the checked suitcase and check it as a separate bag, good thin I had it in a small toolbox I bought here at home and had a lock on it before they checked it. Showed up in Windhoek okay, except for the lock hasp that was broken, but it sure made it a pain dealing with it as a separate issue.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by namibiahunter:
Yes, this subject has been covered many times. See Packing ammo thru South Africa.

If you are going to or through South Africa, my suggestion is to follow the regulations as prescribed by SAA regardless of which airline you are originating with. Taking a chance on getting by with something just for the sake of your personal convenience may result in a delay, a fine, or a visit to their jail. With a 7 year old along, I would not take that chance.

Namibiahunter

Actually your frequently referenced thread mentions nothing of my question. I am on a United flight, and they don't seem to mind. I'm just wondering when they ask about, or check for ammo. Your 2nd post of that thread quotes the SAA's FAQ. It mentions domestic flights and departures, but not international arrivals. I will be taking a short domestic SAA flight the day after arrival, but would simply place all ammo in my checked bag, thereby minimzing the chance of loosing bags with the international flights (and transfers in the US). It seems much less likely to loose luggage on an hour and ten minute flight (though I have completed confidence in the ineptitude of any airline, they got to get it right every once in a while). Thanks, Rich.