Notify
Tools

Lost Firearm
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Mike, great news.

Just wait until you get the rifle back from Wayne. Then you will really love it.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Have the gun in my possession.

As happy as i can be - its my birthday and getting back the rifle was the best birthday present.

Delta did charge me $50 for international custom - i did not want to fight with them. Gave them my cc and got the paperwork. Us customs in orlando were great.

Now the gun heads to Wayne at ahr for a new stock, metal bottom, bolt and refinishing.

Mike

Good to hear Mike! So what ever happened to your V-C double?

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zwickie1:
Mike – Great to hear. Glad you were able to get your rifle back.

All/Larry – Was definitely not trying to start a kangaroo court, I believe that many could learn from my experience. After reading over my post again I feel I left out a couple of items as well:

1) Delta – Delta would not help me because we had filed a missing bag claim with Air Namibia. Air Namibia would not help us because Delta had lost the bags and had never received them from Delta. It was a vicious cycle trying to get into contact with anyone who would help. If you could get anyone on the phone with Delta, they would immediately say I’m sorry you filed a claim with Air Namibia please contact them and hang up on you. With Air Namibia’s $425 claim, we would have had to sign a liability release to get it. We respectfully declined.

2) Travel Agent – I don’t know that it is important who it was. You can read others reports and there are only basically two travel agents who handle 90% of Safari’s. If its not Gracy then it’s easy to figure out. I know many of you and it’s not a secret who it is, I have willingly shared that info. I have a very well documented email correspondence with them. In fact they emailed me after one month and told me they were to busy to help me out anymore. I never once received a communication correspondence from them that was not initiated by myself. I had to phone, email, hold, call back multiple times a day to get them to respond. A simple email or phone call that, “here is the status of where we are at”, would have been nice. If I am traveling with guns I will use Gracy.

Maybe they should rename the company - "Travel Without Guns" for all the help you got.

Happy ending!

Posts: 182 | Location: Up the holler in WV | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Admiral - the VC double is in PA at my gunsmith - I need to order a scope mount from Ken. Will do it this week.

Mike

quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:
Have the gun in my possession.

As happy as i can be - its my birthday and getting back the rifle was the best birthday present.

Delta did charge me $50 for international custom - i did not want to fight with them. Gave them my cc and got the paperwork. Us customs in orlando were great.

Now the gun heads to Wayne at ahr for a new stock, metal bottom, bolt and refinishing.

Mike

Good to hear Mike! So what ever happened to your V-C double?

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you they are back in your possession.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Glad the guns are home! tu2

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BulldogMaster:
quote:

All/Larry – Was definitely not trying to start a kangaroo court, I believe that many could learn from my experience. After reading over my post again I feel I left out a couple of items as well:

1) Delta – Delta would not help me because we had filed a missing bag claim with Air Namibia. Air Namibia would not help us because Delta had lost the bags and had never received them from Delta. It was a vicious cycle trying to get into contact with anyone who would help. If you could get anyone on the phone with Delta, they would immediately say I’m sorry you filed a claim with Air Namibia please contact them and hang up on you. With Air Namibia’s $425 claim, we would have had to sign a liability release to get it. We respectfully declined.

2) Travel Agent – I don’t know that it is important who it was. You can read others reports and there are only basically two travel agents who handle 90% of Safari’s. If its not Gracy then it’s easy to figure out. I know many of you and it’s not a secret who it is, I have willingly shared that info. I have a very well documented email correspondence with them. In fact they emailed me after one month and told me they were to busy to help me out anymore. I never once received a communication correspondence from them that was not initiated by myself. I had to phone, email, hold, call back multiple times a day to get them to respond. A simple email or phone call that, “here is the status of where we are at”, would have been nice. If I am traveling with guns I will use Gracy.

Maybe they should rename the company - "Travel Without Guns" for all the help you got.

Happy ending!

Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner.

Posts: 29 | Location: Utah | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Happy ending!

That's piss poor service in my book. I don't see a problem at all with naming names when someone gets screwed.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I was on a delta return flight from Joburg two years ago and there were about ten hunters on the plane. Only four of us got our guns in Atlanta. I am sure that most of them got their guns on a later date. One guy lost a Holland and Holland side by side. That would be an expensive loss.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it back tu2

quote:

Has anyone lost a rifle returning from Africa?

Yes 3times

quote:

Has anyone ever lost a firearm in the airline baggage system?

Yes 3times

quote:
Has anyone been completely compensated for lost firearms and other accessories in the gun case?

Got it back 2times after 1 or 2 days. Lost it once completly still waiting for a compensation, which I'll never get.

2 Things I learned:
- Never take an expensive gun on a plane.
- All Airlines are useless when it comes to rifles!

Dennis

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
This happens with me literally 50% of the times I fly with guns. Never lost any forever though. Usually they show up in 2-3 weeks. I have insurance and usually just put my booking agent on it and go on with life till they show up. Tried handling all the calling myself and it was just a hassle. I let the pros find my lost guns now.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What insurance company do you recommend since you have dealt with them before?

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 489 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Core-Vens. Never needed to go through with a claim as my guns always turned up.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
Glad you got it back tu2

quote:

Has anyone lost a rifle returning from Africa?

Yes 3times

quote:

Has anyone ever lost a firearm in the airline baggage system?

Yes 3times

quote:
Has anyone been completely compensated for lost firearms and other accessories in the gun case?

Got it back 2times after 1 or 2 days. Lost it once completly still waiting for a compensation, which I'll never get.

2 Things I learned:
- Never take an expensive gun on a plane.
- All Airlines are useless when it comes to rifles!

Dennis

+1

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Happy ending!

That's piss poor service in my book. I don't see a problem at all with naming names when someone gets screwed.

Yikes!!! I thought this was a highly reputable company from all the reviews here over the years. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote