Notify
Tools

travel insurance
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
Any of you guys buy travel insurance? I never have but thought about it for a trip to Greece. My agent wants to sell me a policy by Travel Guard--the coverage looks good but it has 30 pages of exclusions and limitations. Any of you guys buy this stuff for your hunts? I'll be taking a couple of hunts in 2012 and am curious as to what you think.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,
What are you going to shoot with your .600 in Greece?
Hollis

Posts: 138 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 13 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, i always take out the travel insurance. you never know.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Cal is going to take his .600 and "extinguish" the Greek debt.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I am traveling out of the US for anything other than a business meeting (especially hunting or vacation when I am spending a fair amount of $$$) I do buy travel insurance. I have only had to use it twice-once when getting a flight cancelled right before spring break (vacation) and once on a caribou hunt in Quebec also due to plane problems-lost a full day or more each time, and the insurance paid for itself times 8-10 in both cases.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
GOOD travel insurance is worth a million times its weight in gold. My other addiction is desert racing. This past march I took my Hummer H1 racer to Morocco and my navigator cracked two vertebrea (not my driving, already had some back issues!) The insurance co flew a medical lear all the way from London to a military airfield in Morocco and picked him up. When you think of the cost of a medevac, tht is the best 150 GBP I've ever spent!

Just make sure your insurance says, IN WRITING, that it covers your activity.

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gents.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Guys: Are you talking about travel insurance for plane tickets and hotel bookings, or travel insurance for medical treatment and evacuation, or both? My wife leaves for Delhi for three weeks in India on Tuesday, and I am looking at the medical/evacuation insurance from Medexassist and others. Any advice or favorites?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16372 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
I always buy travel insurance for any NONREFUNDABLE or non-cancellable funding. Have used Travelguard each time and have had to file 2 claims each of which were paid in full.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Guys: Are you talking about travel insurance for plain tickets and hotel bookings, or travel insurance for medical treatment and evacuation, or both? My wife leaves for Delhi for three weeks in India on Tuesday, and I am looking at the medical/evacuation insurance from Medexassist and others. Any advice or favorites?

Both, always.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Global Rescue.

I now consider it a necessity for safari, and if you don't understand why then you're not paying attention to african hunting. 16 african safaris and I've never needed evacuation insurance, but those that have needed it cannot afford not to have it.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Lion Hunter
I just finished my 13th safari and this was the first trip I bought insurance. Had ticket insurance cheap like $100 I think and Global Rescue ($329) did not use it but have 6 more hunts in 2012 from Alaska to Argentina and back to Africa. Gee just notices they are all A's.
At today's money thats real cheap check what ticket in Africa cost for cancelled flights or changes.
Most insurance does not cover if you change your ticket only if the airline messes up.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote