THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Question on travel to Dar...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on travel to Dar...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife and I will be making our first trip to Tanzania in September. We will be traveling to Dar Es Salam on NW/KLM. Is an hour and a half layover in Amsterdam enough time?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That all depends on how your flight goes to Amsterdam. When I flew Dulles to Amsterdam via klm it would have been plenty of time. The terminal with the flight to Dar was a couple of hundred feet away from where we arrived. I had a 4 hour lay over. Lots of variables.........

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
If you arrive on time, you should be OK. Are you staying overnight in Dar? If so, which Hotel? Be sure you Fax the paperwork to Amsterdam for your Firearms?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would help if you are flying to Amsterdam on KLM/NW as well.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Don't forget you'll need your Dutch consent form and you'll find it here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...ermit-downloads.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help all. I've opted to take a flight with a longer layover in Amsterdam just in case we would have a delay getting out of the Detroit.

Larrys01 - We are staying overnight in Dar. The outfitter is meeting us there and has the hotel arranged. I just can't remember the name of it.

Steve - Thanks for the link to the Dutch consent form. Much appreciated!

Doug

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
The Coliseum is Great, They helped us out when we ran into problems. The Sea Cliff is on the Ocean. Do not leave the Hotel without a trusted driver. Also I recommend a "Bug Tamer" parka as you will be hunting in the Fly Zone. If you like, PM me for additional details.
Larry

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Doug,

You'll also find a lot of other useful stuff on that same site including a design your own cover insurance and health info etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stayed at the Movenpick. Very nice. Great restaurant, great bakery, and a couple of shops in a small arcade. Service was excellent by African standards.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The outfitter will almost certainly have booked you into the Seacliff. Its the 'hunters hotel' in Dar and is ideal. There's even the Seacliff village next door with a selection of food joints and shops etc.

You won't be disappointed!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DPS:

Good move on changing your flight to a longer layover. I lost my rifles going and coming in 2007 with a one and one half hour layover. Enjoy the SeaCliff. We had luch there on our last day in Tanzania and it was really special. Drink a Kilimanjaro for me as you look out over the Indian Ocean. beer
The SeaCliff burned down that year so we couldn't stay there and opted for the Movenpick. If anyone stays at the Movenpick don't eat the outdoor bar-b-que. I think we had cat and dog and who knows what else that night. The ox-tail soup was the only saving grace to that meal. The hotel is ok with a beautiful pool and grounds but way overpriced for what you get, at least what we had to pay. Their web site had one price but we paid double that when we arrived at midnight after our flight from Amsterdam. I argued with them about the pricing but was met with the typical african stoicism so, being worn out from the flights, just gave in and paid them what they wanted.
We gave ourselves an extra day in Dar at the beginning of our trip in case something didn't show up but it didn't do any good. My rifle case wound up in Kigosi five days later with another hunter chartering into camp. Everything was intact but the lock had been sawed off somewhere along the way. Even though I didn't have my rifles with me at the beginning the hunt my two buddies both had extra rifles that I borrowed until mine showed up. Not the best deal but better, by far, than nothing. I was familiar with their rifles and was a lot more comfortabel shooting them than I would have been using one of the PH's. I killed my only buff of the trip as well as a reedbuck with my friend's 375 H & H and had no probelms at all doing so. Heck, he shot a sable with the same rifle at over four hundred yards later on in the trip so it's a good thing I didn't put any misses in it for him. Wink

I made sure to allow three hours, at least, between our flights in Amsterdam this year for our trip to Zambia. Hopefully everything will show up as I don't have my friends along this time to back me up. Cool

joec

joec

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Elly
posted Hide Post
Make sure you send correct details of your firearms to your agent i.e serial no of your rifles and quantity of ammunitions that your'll bring in.
If possible get your visa at Tanzania Embassy in USA to avoid waiting sometimes for more than 45 minutes on visa application at Dar es salaam J.K. Inter. Airport.
I recommend to stay at Seaclif hotel, believe to be reopened by september!

Karibu Tanzania (welcome to Tanzania)!
www.mbugatours.com

Posts: 9 | Location: Dar es salaam, Tanzania | Registered: 19 September 2008Reply With Quote