New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scopes in carry on
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this has been discussed before. However, when I was recently downloading TSA rules for travel with guns and ammo I noticed that they say it is okay to carry your rifle scope in your carry on. Is this a change from previous policy? Will a copy of their rules satisfy some uninformed over zealous TSA agent?

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Just print out the TSA rules and carry them with you. I do that with the Airline firearms policies because the ticketing people can be so ignorant.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12573 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
peashooter,

Carrying the rules may prove you are right if confronted at security but it does not preclude a hold up while all the knot heads check it out. I'd just carry my scope attached to the rifle as always. Why set up a potential problem when you don't have to.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12909 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
And remember that you will have to clear african customs when coming home, and their rules differ from TSA. I have witnessed hunters making the mad dash from customs back to the firearms check station after the customs/security agent refused to allow their scope to travel in their carry-on. Fortunately their rifle case was still at firearms inspection, but if it had gone to the plane they would have been SOL.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
something else to consider is that if you fly in the US on one of the regional carriers they may make you gate check it anyway, in which case it would be better off in a safe secure gun case. Not to mention the already mentioned confusion at check in even if you have the rules. I now even put my binos in the gun case

Posts: 1075 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
eny,

A solid point made!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12909 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been travelling to Africa for so many tears.

My rifles have their scopes on and in the travel gun case.

Never had any problem.

I would not consider carrying a rifle scope in a carry on bag.

Not worth the hassle one might get.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67258 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carried an extra scope in my carry on baggage exactly once. Made the trip from here across the pond but coming home, the check in at Harare was an absolute nightmare. 3 different levels of supervisors, airport security, a few of the local police. Fortunately, I had given myself more than an hour before the flight was ready to board. Definitely NOT worth the hassle.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry you gents and a rough time of it. Since the 1990s I have carried my camera, binocs, and scope (if it had quick detachable mounts) in my carryon and never a problem. The most security and questions were at Heathrow in London where they gave each piece a colonoscopy (me too, for that matter) but all was fine and allowable.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Can only echo Cal. I always carry on my binos and scope and have never had any issues - Germany, France, UK, RSA, Namibia, Zim, Zam, Bots and most recently Mauritania in Feb 16.

Once a sec guard looked at the binos and told me that he thought Zeiss were better than Swaros - he was a keen birder!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2281 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would you want the hassle of a scope or even binoculars in your carryon? Just place them in you gun case and don't worry about them. Remember, your gun case is locked with individually keyed locks that only you have the key to. I would think that cutting the locks off of a gun case would take a pretty bold criminal because it would draw immediate attention during the transport process and be obvious where the action took place. Just my 2 cents though.

Posts: 99 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1

quote:
Originally posted by BC3:
Why would you want the hassle of a scope or even binoculars in your carryon? Just place them in you gun case and don't worry about them. Remember, your gun case is locked with individually keyed locks that only you have the key to. I would think that cutting the locks off of a gun case would take a pretty bold criminal because it would draw immediate attention during the transport process and be obvious where the action took place. Just my 2 cents though.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shotgun46:
+1

quote:

But sometimes guns cases don't show up promptly. I can borrow a rifle, but generally no good binos available.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carry your binos in your carry on they are not an issue with TSA where a scope could be. If they lose your rifle you sure do not need a scope.

quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
quote:
Originally posted by shotgun46:
+1

quote:

But sometimes guns cases don't show up promptly. I can borrow a rifle, but generally no good binos available.

Best regards, D. Nelson

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I missed a flight once because of a spare scope in my carry on in New York. I would definitely not take a range finder or range finding binoculars in my carry on. That circuitry showing up on the x-ray will I'm sure create issues. Put it in the gun case!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only time I ever had a problem was in ... Milwaukee, WI. Two supervisors were required. The first people claimed I was carrying "firearm parts".

Still, I leave the scope in the rifle case now.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My scopes are always on the rifles and are always in the TuffPak. My binos are always in my carry-on luggage. I have never had a issue with the binos, and the ones that I carry with me hunting are either the Swaro or the Leica range finding binos, depending on which binos I choose to take with me. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I concur. I put rifles w/scopes in place ( with bolts packed separately) in GOOD cotton-padded (no foam) BOYT cases in the Tuff-Pack case,add "filler" in the form of vest,shirts,jacket etc.
up to the 49 lb.weight.( The cases are needed for vehicle transport in the field anyway )....In 8 trips to Namibia I have had no problems so
"If it ain't broke don't fix it "

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Scopes on the rifle. Never needed a spare. Only had a scope fail once in all the years I've been hunting, and that with an old weaver with leather o rings back in 1976.

Range finding Leica binos go in the carry on every time. No issues going or coming to Africa, New Zealand, Russia, or anywhere else.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Definitely not worth the potential hassle. Even if your scope is deemed OK, some TSA clown could claim the rings are a "firearms part". I had a 15 minute conversation with TSA agents about a rifle sling. Mad

You may win the fight but still miss your flight.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
My scopes are always on the rifles and are always in the TuffPak. My binos are always in my carry-on luggage. I have never had a issue with the binos, and the ones that I carry with me hunting are either the Swaro or the Leica range finding binos, depending on which binos I choose to take with me. Big Grin

+1

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I once carried a scope in my carry on through LAX. Got pulled over into the "super scan" machine and I asked what the machine would detect. I was told it would detect traces of propellant (he said gunpowder to be exact). I said, "wouldn't it be normal for a rifle scope to show trace propellant?" I got no answer to that and they let me through, but I did waste some valuable time before a flight.

Lesson learned, I leave scopes on rifles.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
I once carried a scope in my carry on through LAX. Got pulled over into the "super scan" machine and I asked what the machine would detect. I was told it would detect traces of propellant (he said gunpowder to be exact). I said, "wouldn't it be normal for a rifle scope to show trace propellant?" I got no answer to that and they let me through, but I did waste some valuable time before a flight.

Lesson learned, I leave scopes on rifles.

They don't know what they are talking about, anyway. It will show traces of blackpowder, but not smokeless.

If you are ever nabbed, just say "trapshooter" and that's the magic word from their training.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have also carried my binocs, camera and extra scope or scope in my carry on without a problem. but I can see wherein one might have to deal with difficulty in todays world, someone with an over active imagination or who was on the ball and doing his job (rare indeed in airports) might decide your an assassin..

But as I have said so many times, just act innocent and stupid and polite and they will feel sorry for your ignorant a$$ walk you right thu it...Hold up the TSA rules as a last resort but always travel with them and if you use them say "Golly gee, it sez right here that I can do this, have I misread it" IN the USA that's when you ask Billy Bob if you should call your lawyer!! Scares em in the USA, don't try that in a 3rd world!! tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41942 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote