New
Find
Notify
Tools

Delta and Air Namibia
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody made the connection Atlanta to Joberg and then on to Windhoek without overnighting in Joberg?

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I have always been advised that you would arrive without bags...it isn't much time.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I've never tempted it but we hosted the daughter of a PH friend of mine and her friend a year or so ago and their itinerary was scheduled for that connection. I was going to make contingency plans for them at Afton House until they assured me they had extended family in J'berg that could collect them if they didn't make the flight. They ended up making it but I'm not sure I would risk it with firearms. However, I would be interested to hear if anyone else has.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like almost 2 1/2 hrs between flights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last May we did it on SAA off the east coast USA to Joberg and then on to Windhoek/SAA with short time in Joberg. Everything made the transfer and arrived with us. But that may not be the case trying to transfer baggage from Delta to Air Nam. in Joberg.

Posts: 332 | Location: eastern oregon usa | Registered: 21 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember that Namibia has a one hour time change sometime in late summer, we had plans to fly on up the same night but after the time change were informed that it was not possible in August! I hate laying over in Joberg but it is damn near impossible not to have to do it.

Posts: 179 | Location: northern Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kld:
Remember that Namibia has a one hour time change sometime in late summer, we had plans to fly on up the same night but after the time change were informed that it was not possible in August! I hate laying over in Joberg but it is damn near impossible not to have to do it.

Maybe that's why I couldn't do it. The last time I tried was in September two years ago but our house guests were able to make it in late November/early December. Maybe there is a time change in between? When SAA airways flew out of Atlanta it was possible as the flight left much earlier in the day. Delta gets in to J'berg after 5 PM if I remember correctly. Maybe SAA out of Washington is an option?

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the Air Namibia flight is at 7:40.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
The problem is getting bags transferred in JNB between 2 airlines. Very Risky...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Tim. It seems so much easier to just check everything straight through to your final destination and it is if all goes perfectly. Personally and what I recommend to clients is to go through the SAPS process at O.R. Tembo and then you will actually see your kit checked on to the connecting flight be it to Windhoek, Harare or whatever your final destination is. According to Gracy Travel three hours between flights is about the minimum to make sure all this gets handled.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess we'll just bite the bullet and spend the night at Afrika Sky. There could be worse places to be. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
You could avoid JNB by flying Delta to Frankfurt and straight into WDH from there. You have a long layover in Frankfurt, but you will already be on Namibia time. Have made the trip twice and will do so again this June.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Part of the problem with changing planes in Jobergh is that even if you have checked all your luggage on through to Windhoek,, and even though the airlines may code share,, you can not get your boarding ticket for the windhoek flight before you leave the US because it is to far in advance of the departure time so you have to clear customs/immigration, get in line with everyone else to see a ticket agent to get your boarding pass,, go through security screening and then get to the right gate. Every time I have done it it took over 2 hours and almost 3 hours once and each time I almost missed the flight.. Don't risk it! Last time I flew through Frankfurt to avoid it knowing I would have 11 hours layover, got a day room in hotel,, ate, slept showered and got to windhoek by 6am the next morning,, with less jet lag..

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drwes:
Part of the problem with changing planes in Jobergh is that even if you have checked all your luggage on through to Windhoek,, and even though the airlines may code share,, you can not get your boarding ticket for the windhoek flight before you leave the US because it is to far in advance of the departure time so you have to clear customs/immigration, get in line with everyone else to see a ticket agent to get your boarding pass,, go through security screening and then get to the right gate. Every time I have done it it took over 2 hours and almost 3 hours once and each time I almost missed the flight.. Don't risk it! Last time I flew through Frankfurt to avoid it knowing I would have 11 hours layover, got a day room in hotel,, ate, slept showered and got to windhoek by 6am the next morning,, with less jet lag..

I've never had to go through this on any of my connecting flights either way through J'berg. You just continue on to the international concourse and there is a separate ticketing area right before you enter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrfudd:
You could avoid JNB by flying Delta to Frankfurt and straight into WDH from there. You have a long layover in Frankfurt, but you will already be on Namibia time. Have made the trip twice and will do so again this June.
+1 It is MUCH better to spend the day in Frankfurt than spend the night in Johannesburg!

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuckmaxman:
Anybody made the connection Atlanta to Joberg and then on to Windhoek without overnighting in Joberg?

I'm going to Windhoek in August, ORD to LHR to WDH. I'm not going near J'berg. I've gone thru J'berg three times going to Windhoek. Once had to over night in J'berg. Never had problems with luggage, just SAP. I hate J'berg. Cheapest flights to Windhoek are out of ORD and no O.R.Tambo......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why are you going through London? My information shows that since Air Namibia discontinued its London service you have to change planes in London and fly to Frankfurt where you get on Air Namibia for Windhoek. Why not fly straight to Frankfurt and save one plane change (and an extra chance to misplace your baggage and impound your rifle)?

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Booking Delta flight tommorrow to JNB . On to Windhoek the next day. Haven't really had any problems the last 5 times in JNB. We were trying to get a extra hunting day.

Thanks for all the comments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to decide which way to go myself this year. I've done the Delta to J'berg, overnight and into Windhoek. Frankfurt sounds easier logistically but how reliable is Air Namibia? If I go the J'berg route again I will overnight in Windhoek on the way home. Had a 0300 wake up to make an 1100 flight last time. Namibia is a big country when you are driving to the airport.

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Made the trip to Namibia twice, 1st time out of Dallas on AA & 2nd out of Atlanta on Delta both times thru Frankfurt.
Delta & AirNamibia have/had an agreement on transfering baggage.This made the 2nd trip a breeze, did not have to clear anything except our carry ons in Frankfurt.
Made sure we had all essentials in our carry ons. At the gate I checked to make sure our checked luggage was onboard & that was it.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've gone through Joberg and through Frankfurt.Far better through Frankfurt,enough time to get a day room have a sleep then get on Air Namibia(which is very good,I'm a retired airline Capt.)direct Windhoek.Your bags and guns checked through to WDH all very smooth.Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote