Find
Notify
Tools

Rolling Duffle Bag
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted
After my last trip I need a new large rolling duffle. Airline somehow broke my frame.

What brands are you happy with for airline travel?

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Rather than a duffle, consider a Pelican Air case. I switched to this from a duffle and like it much better. Best travel luggage I’ve used so far.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
5.11 makes a seriously tough rolling duffle. I like the one I have. Or use the 1/2 tuffpak.
I do both.

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Filson makes a good heavy duty rolling duffle for travel and you can mash it down to conform to limited space if you are flying to camp in a bush plane.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pretty sure I have an extra as a result of a death in the family. PM me if interested. I think one is a Boyt and the other an Orvis.

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajay:
Filson makes a good heavy duty rolling duffle for travel and you can mash it down to conform to limited space if you are flying to camp in a bush plane.

+1

I love my Filson rolling duffle. It’s tough and easy to travel with and, as mentioned above, can more easily be molded in limited spaces than a hard case.

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

posted Hide Post
Badlands Terraglide.....Very tough bag with a well protected lower compartment. I put two bows and associated archery equipment in the lower compartment on a recent trip to South Africa. The rest of my gear went in the upper compartments. Through Johannesburg (OR Tambo) both ways with no issues or damage. Also Badlands guarantees the bag.....if it is damaged just send it to them for no cost repair regardless of what or how the damage occured.

Posts: 36 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Boyt Rolling Duffel bag is a good one. With 2 compartments to sort out your gear. I use the bottom section to place my ammo case plus shoes and put a lock on zipper.

Pelican Air case with wheels is a good choice also. Is solid and has 2 locking locations, and is one compartment. Again ver good for travel.

Both the above will work and i use them.

I have both and Boyt bag weigh less.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1572 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I had a Filson rolling duffel for many years but I finally destroyed it or actually the baggage handlers did. I now have the Pelican Air. It is the best thing I've ever used. If I ever have to fly in a small plane I'll bring a lightweight nylon duffel and transfer everything to it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I had a Boyt duffel. The plastic stiffeners in the bottom were pop riveted in place. On its second trip, baggage gorillas managed to bust them loose. There was no way to reattached them so carrying it by the end handle became impossible as the bag simply folded up. Boyt refused to fix it, said it was normal wear and tear. coffee

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Pelican Air.No worries regarding a zipper being popped open.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I’ve got Beretta and Orvis rolling duffels. They have the bottom compartment for boots or a broken down gun in case (I don’t think that flies anymore). When I went to spend a couple months in Argentina, one was not enough, but both were too much. I did over pack. I bought a medium size rolling duffel at Target. That thing made 10-12 trips. The key to avoid thieves was to duck tape parts of it. It finally died. I still like my “fancy” rolling duffles, but that cheap dude had about 120k miles or more on it.

That being said, a Pelican is on the horizon for Africa.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are in South Africa for 18 months. We traveled with hard side luggage, including a Pelican Air for each of us. The only issue that I had was that TSA must have removed a couple of our TSA locks in Atlanta and they or someone in Jo'burg literally ripped our Pelican Air large identification plates off of our luggage. I have also heard it rumored that Jo'burg luggage thieves have somehow managed to obtain TSA master keys, but I don't know how true that is. I had ordered the large Pelican identification plates as extras to identify our Pelicans. However, everything was found to be safe and sound inside upon arrival at our flat.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I have also heard it rumored that Jo'burg luggage thieves have somehow managed to obtain TSA master keys, but I don't know how true that is.

Doesn't seem especially difficult: https://www.amazon.com/tsa-key...7+master+luggage+key

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Red OXX stuff but don't know if they make a rolling duffle.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
We just carry or drag ours.

Wheeled duffles are always more or less rigid and breakable.

IMHO, that more or less defeats the purpose of a duffle.

Might as well use a wheeled hard sided case.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote