New
Find
Notify
Tools

FYI: ZIM FIREARM EXPORT FEE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had a couple hunters come out of Zim through Harare a few days ago. They were both charged a $40 Export Fee for their rifles.

They were with the meet/greet service and evidently the person helping them had never heard of it either.

I'll look into this further and revert.

BTW They said the meet/greet was very helpful.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12912 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Typical bloody Africa!

Penalize those who feed you!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67297 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a couple hunters come out of Zim through Harare a few days ago. They were both charged a $40 Export Fee for their rifles.

They were with the meet/greet service and evidently the person helping them had never heard of it either.

Sounds like another typical scam from Zimbabwe. The Outfitters and Professional Hunters of Zimbabw ought to be raising holy hell over this!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s a new one on me, didn’t happen 3 months ago. I’ve sent messages to a couple of people in Xim that should know if this is legit. I sort of wonder if it’s not something worked up by the now popular meet and greet folks to make a few more bucks off of unknowing American hunters? I did noticed on our two trips to Africa this year that many more people had their hands out for “tips”, some were disappointed.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2808 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent two messages last night, one to a PH the other to a contact in the US Embassy, neither had heard of this “export fee” on firearms. I’d bet it’s a scam to fleece hunters a bit more. I’d ask for a receipt if I was asked to pay an export fee.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2808 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
I didn't have it last month when I came through.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
It’s called the “fleece the hunter” fee and mirrors the dip and pack and shipping fee fleecing. tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13217 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew out of Bulawayo on Sept 10 & this wasn't a "thing" there.

Posts: 437 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jdollar
one of us
posted 29 September 2021 01:44
It’s called the “fleece the hunter” fee and mirrors the dip and pack and shipping fee fleecing.

Yeah that's 100% SPOT F'ING ON about all shipping and some dip/pack that I've experienced.

Posts: 437 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I left about a month ago. I was charged no such fee.

I did use a meet & greet service. I made the mistake of giving the kid driving me a big tip. On the return trip, the price miraculously went up by 400%. His tip went down by 100%.

Posts: 12016 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Let’s hope this doesn’t spread. Export fee. What a scam!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13466 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Going in and out of Zim in June there were no fees. As far as anyone knows in Zim there are no fees currently for Exporting guns. Seems like these Meet and Greet types are pulling a fast one on folks.

Everyone usually does have their hand out but remember the guys in Zim average no more than $10-15 per day. When you come through flipping $20.00 at guys you are making it it hard on the guys that follow. We had a party of 8 and my tips leaving the Falls in the Airport amounted to less than $20.00. I am a good tipper. I don't tip the Airline Staff or Zim officials. Never have and never will and have never had a problem.

IF you tip someone in the airport $20.00 for a few minutes of work or your driver for an hours worth of work are you tipping the trackers $200.00 per day each? They spend 10 hours a day serving you while you are in camp.

Posts: 397 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TNJohn:

IF you tip someone in the airport $20.00 for a few minutes of work or your driver for an hours worth of work are you tipping the trackers $200.00 per day each? They spend 10 hours a day serving you while you are in camp.

The fee for the airport meet was $20 for me. That was well worth it as it saved at least a couple of hours and I was through in 30 minutes.

Departing the same thing. We went to the head of the PCR document check line, and then went through firearms check, airline, airline double check, immigration, security and then the lounge. Again in 30 minutes, well worth the $20.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
quote:
Originally posted by TNJohn:

The fee for the airport meet was $20 for me. That was well worth it as it saved at least a couple of hours and I was through in 30 minutes.

Departing the same thing. We went to the head of the PCR document check line, and then went through firearms check, airline, airline double check, immigration, security and then the lounge. Again in 30 minutes, well worth the $20.

+1

As my wife said the best money spent on our trip, was the airport meet and greet coming into the country and leaving. She was not sure how they were able to do that, meaning our being moved ahead of other travelers in various lines. I always have some money converted to Rands while traveling in South Africa, Namibia and Zimbabwe. I tip in South African Rands and give them $200 Rands, I just consider it part of the trip.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1589 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd pay $20.00 to get to the head of a long line, heck even Disney is charging $15.00 to get to the head of the line. Did not have any issues in Zim this year in or out and the wait times were in minutes.

A $5.00 tip to a porter, cab driver, customs or luggage person should equate to at least $50.00 per day for each tracker and the cook. The guys in the field do much more for you each day, tip them the big bucks.

When we travel we tip based on the country and tip according to the services provided, it is indeed part of the trip. For those that are plan to go to Zim $1.00 and at most $5.00 goes a hell of a long way within the airport and with your drivers.

Americans are viewed as easy touches in the airports because they tip too much. This past trip everyone had their hand out and expected a tip. Even the Zim officials and the airline staff. Ever seen a Zimbo tip these guys? Your guns will make the plane, you will make the plane, you will not have any difficulty if you do not tip. If you are out of compliance then a tip helps you.

I can afford to do these trips. There are folks out there that are trying to do lifetime trips get scared off hearing about this nickel and dime stuff.

Use a Zim Ph and operator and follow their advice. Ask them about the need for a Meet and Greet. Most often they or someone that works for them or they trust will greet you at the Airport. IF there are issues they will help you out.

Posts: 397 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mystery solved. My client called the $40 fee an export fee and said he thought it was BS but his buddy paid for both his fee and my client's "Export" fee with a CC. Hmmmmm! Yesterday I received a copy of the receipt and shot it off to an operator in Zim. Turns out SA Airlink is charging a $40 firearms "handling" fee. All legit!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12912 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear that it was just Airlink.

I use Fast Jet and have been happy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This tipping thing has its origins in the USA. Some jobs in the service industry are traditionally compensated by tips. Waiters/waitresses, cab drivers, bartenders and skycaps. To the extent there is some logic in this, it promotes better service and weeds out the employees with a bad attitude so management doesn't have to. Waitresses don't cook your food, they just deliver it, so I don't really see the applicability there. If anything, the cook should get the tip. But when there is no gradation of service (such as they either put the rifle on the plane or not), or when the person is not really rendering a service (but is putting you through some kind of screening that you didn't ask for), it's not applicable. Problem is, in Africa these people can make your life difficult if you don't tip them. So it's really a bribe, not a tip. I wonder whether perhaps the right approach might not be taking real money to pay legitimate bills, and fake money. Use the fake money for the bribes. I am not recommending counterfeiting. Just take some monopoly money or some old zim dollars. That ought to be entertaining.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Mystery solved. My client called the $40 fee an export fee and said he thought it was BS but his buddy paid for both his fee and my client's "Export" fee with a CC. Hmmmmm! Yesterday I received a copy of the receipt and shot it off to an operator in Zim. Turns out SA Airlink is charging a $40 firearms "handling" fee. All legit!

Mark

I still don't get why people go through RSA to get to Zim when there are at least 3 airlines that go there directly. If it is not the RSA airlines soaking people with extraneous fees it is the people at JNB going through people's luggage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanks,

In talking with Gracy Travel it seems that routing through RSA has been more dependable throughout the pandemic than booking with a couple of the other carriers that service Zimbabwe. To this date and to my knowledge Ethiopian has been the most dependable of all.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I flew to Zimbabwe twice on Emirates, going through Dubai. No problems at all on either flight.