Find
Notify
Tools

Pelican Cases/Foam Cut Outs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I am a person that is craft and handyman impaired. Two years ago I bought a Pelican two rifle case and then proceeded to attempt to cut out the foam to accommodate my rifles. In the end the case looked like one of Jack the Ripper's victims where he used a butterknife. Consequently I set the case aside and declared defeat. Rather than let the case stand idle I would like to find a way to use it. Is there anyone that cuts the foam panels to fit if you tell them, cut the foam for two double rifles that would be broken down, or cut the foam for two scoped bolt action rifles with barrels that are 22" and separate cut outs for the bolts, etc.? I am reluctant to just buy more foam and try again . . . as Dirty Harry would say, a man has to gotta know his limitations, and I think I realize mine.

Mike

Posts: 21225 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard the best way to cut the foam is to use an electric knife.

I take the foam out of mine and put the rifles in good soft cases then put them in the Pelican.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
In most cities that is a foam rubber fabricator or cutter. In Tulsa, I go to an Army Surplus store that cuts foam. You might check the phone book in Houston for foam dealers, call them and ask who they know does the cutting.

Posts: 10169 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a Pelican but I do have an alum Americase which I have used for travel to Africa etc. I have never cut the foam out. I just place the guns 2 of them and pack other fragile items ie Binos, knives etc. and have never had a problem. It sure as hell holds them in place.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The center foam layer in a Pelican case needs to be cut to properly secure the rifles. I'm not sure where to recoommend for getting it cut.

I must admit, it has never beena problem for me. I have used an electric knife, as previously suggested, and also a long utility knife, the kind with multiple breakable blades. A slow sawing motion usually works well. I have gone to the trouble to trace my guns with a marker on the foam first, and sometimes just did it free hand. I've also heard that "freezing" the foam in a chest freezer (short time) can make it easier to work, but have never tried this. A good sharp blade or an electric knife is really pretty easy....

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

The object is to have the case close very tightly on your rifles to keep them from moving. When new I had Sadie stand on my ICC case so I could latch it. I would advise against cutting out any of the foam.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, I agree fully, yes the case is hard to close but it sure as hell holds your guns. I like the Tuffpac which I now use but did have the stock on my Drilling cracked in the Tuffpac last year. I have it fixed now and the gunsmith says it is stronger now than before, I will find out this fall as I am taking it again (for Suni) in the Tuffpac. If it cracks again I guess it will be back to the Alum case.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of deeber
posted Hide Post
I'm with NE450No2 above- toss the foam and use soft cases. Then use the extra room for extra luggage space- packing tightly. While in camp the case is now a fine locked vault (if you need it). With the extra room you also have space available for minor treasures like spears. US Customs hasn't cared a bit about the half dozen spears in the case, just the form 4457.

I like the concept of the tuffpak, have used it several travels- but it is harder to use for access to extra luggage (clothes, gear) which is so easily accessible in the "violin" style case like the pelican/kalispel cases. I've gone back to the pelican/kalispel style.
Lee

Lee Grigson
Uncle of 3 Eagle Scouts
NRA Life worth the commitment
SCI and DSC Life

Posts: 23 | Location: Midland TX | Registered: 02 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the tips. I called Pelican today to order some replacement foam. Unlike what I have, which is a God-awful mix of soft foam (flat and egg shell) and a another type of denser foam, the replacement foam is three flat sheets, two thin and one thick. That being the case, I think you would be best served by not cutting the foam at all but doing as Mark and Die Ou Jagter suggested and just let the compressed foam hold the rifle (like you would in an ICC or Kalispel case). The lady with Pelican said you can use it both ways, cutting to fit your weapon or just letting the compressed foam hold it.

Mike

Posts: 21225 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had long talks with both Pelican and ICC on this issue and got different answers. It is imnportnat to note the the pelican case is built in thirds with two thirds on the bottom and one third on top whereas the ICC is in halfs. I came to the view that the cutout is the best way to go. If you just compress the foam, a lot of the impact from the outside of the case gets transmitted to the contents. To cut the pelican foam (you only cut the center piece), lay the rifles on it and mark with chalk or a market the outlines. Use an electric carving knife with the two serated blades and trace teh marked outline with the knife held vertical. Remenber to appreach square corners from both sides. Takes not more than 5 minutes

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Browning Travelvault. I took out two pieces of the foam liner and pack my rifles in their soft cases. Once inside the Travelvault with the case closed you have a very snug fit. Plus, once you get to Africa, you already have your soft case for charter travel, if necessary.
I leave my hard case with the outfitter and pick it up on my return.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you really want a custom cut out and can't do it yourself with an electric knife then
go to www.casesbypelican.com and you send them your outline and tracings of how you want the foam and they will do it for you. They do really nice and professional work. The deal with the soft gun case inside the pelican case works well and then you have the soft gun case to use also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Pelican case for 9 years, with several trips to Africa as well as within the USA.

I cut out the center foam sheet as recommended by Pelican, using the electric carving knife.

I have also used it without the middle sheet of foam, packed with two rifles and many many misc. items, and soft clothes as padding. This one trip resulted in a custom stocked varmint rifle with a broken wrist. I am led to believe that this was caused by the case being dropped on end, and the rifles having no padding on the ends to absorb the shock - this results in a broken stock at the weakest point.

I now ALWAYS use all the foam sheets, and have not had any other damage. I recommend using the case the way it was designed - with the foam.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of prairiewolf
posted Hide Post
I have used the pelican case on two trips taking 2 rifles. I cut out the foam to fit the rifles with an electric knife. I also take 2 soft cases along in my checked baggage. This helps to fill the bag. On the return trip I throw out the center foam and put the rifles in the soft cases and put them in the pelican case leaving me more room to bring home souvenirs and such. This works for me and my rifles have made the trips without a scratch.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Posts: 144 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote