New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tipping?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Traveling to SA in August and wondering what is an appropriate tip for the PH and staff? A set $ amount, or percentage of the hunt cost, and what % for each?

Meat Eater.

Posts: 120 | Location: Northern Ohio | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
This link http://www.shakariconnection.c...s-or-gratuities.html might be of general help, but specifics are harder tp identifly without knowing how long you're going for and what you intend to hunt.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't recommend a percentage figure........ esp in RSA. Instead go for a figure in Rand for the 'local' staff and USD for the PH.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never hunted in RSA however, in Zim I usually leave between 1k-1.5k for the staff. My ph is the owner, so, I do not tip him as such. This amount is pretty much for any hunt be it a DG or plains game, or, if nothing is collected.the way I look at it is the staff cannot control the animals.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
go up to african hunting and do a search - this has been hashed and rehashed many times over

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Zambia for 10 days last fall and tipped my PH $1K plus a brand new rifle scope and new bases and rings ($300), 50 rounds of .375 H&H ammo loaded with Barnes TSXs , and an ammo carrier, probably $1500 or so in total. We left an additional $900 for the camp staff (that was the amount he recommended). This was a DG hunt, if hunting PG tips will be less.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Tips also vary from country to country and indeed area to area, so what's normal, (if there is such a thing) in let's say Zim, has bugger all to do with what's normal in RSA.

I really need more info on what's being hunted, how long you're hunting for and where........... but I'l assume it's a 1x1 general plains game for about 7 - 10 days on an average hunting operation and that it was reasonably succesful.

An operation like that would probably have, 1 x PH, 1 x tracker, 1 x skinner, 1 x cook and 2 x maids and in that case, the following would be reasonably appropriate.

Tip to the PH US$250-500 but not more that about US$600

Tip to the tracker, skinner & cook ZAR400 - 650 but not more than about ZAR800 EACH

Tip to maid(s) ZAR200 - 350 but not more than about ZAR500 EACH.

Please bear in mind that these are suggestions as to which is average. There are other factors that might alter the figures either way. Just some of these factors might be client's culture where he comes from, quality of hunt/service/trophy game sought/taken/lost etc etc.

I'd suggest you contact your outfitter before you go and ask him about staff numbers and even perhaps ask him to suggest a suitable tip level. Note I said the outfitter and not the agent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going for 11 days, hunting plains game. 6 animals each, this is for both myself and my wife. Yes we are both hunting. Best animal of each between us gets mounted.

Meat Eater.

Posts: 120 | Location: Northern Ohio | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL, I tipped a guide once.

Of course, we had been celebrating pretty heavily at the time! beer

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote