New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem solved...thank you.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have heard that it is a good idea to have ammo in the factory boxes. Will someone comment please? Thanks smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
shakari

Thank you shakari. It appears That it would probably be a good idea to use factory boxes. I'm going to post a WTB in the classifieds for myself and Son. smoker

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Those plastic MTN boxes are also perfectly acceptable.......

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Those plastic MTN boxes are also perfectly acceptable.......

Get ones that slide into the cardboard factory boxes, BTW.

Posts: 4859 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now there's an idea! never knew such a thing existed. Smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Factory boxes are OK if you are using factory ammo I guess. My guess is most here don't go the factory route in lieu of their own handloads. Plastic boxes, in my opinion are more sturdy, easier to pack and I have never had a problem or have anyone question their use in multiple trips on quite a few different airlines.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I read too much into it. First time to Africa and don't want to make any waves. I have many plastic 50 round boxes. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Your plastic boxes will be fine. The intent of the regulations is that each round be separated by dividers.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I always use handloaded ammo and pack it in MTM boxes -- never had a problem.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not had any problems using my reloads in both 20 and 50 round plastic boxes in multiple trips to Africa.

More crucial if you handload is to make sure you have properly headstamped brass for your rifles and not some formed brass made into your rifle's cartridge. Ammo should match caliber on rifle. Good luck explaining alternative reloading techniques to the typical local at the airport.

RCG

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff folks. Sure makes life more simple. Having been on 2 'P' Dog hunts I've got plastic boxes up my...you know. Thanks much, smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
A while ago, someone posted a logo that you could print out on a sticky mailing label that you could modify with your particular caliber specifics and tape on your plastic boxes. It made a pretty professional looking package.

I downloaded them a couple of years ago and the customs guys/ladies never only counted the rounds through the clear plastic.

Probably suspenders and a belt, but what the heck!

Since then, I've just put whatever I wanted into commercial ammo boxes (caliber specific, of course) and put them in a lockable metal box I bought at Office Depot for $11.00.

Maybe 10 trips and not a hickup from the airline, TSA or a customs dude.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Metal box? Well there's another idea, thank you. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson