THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT NOW REQUIRED!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT NOW REQUIRED!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
SOUTH AFRICAN VEHICLE RENTALS

INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT NOW REQUIRED!

Please be advised that an international drivers permit is now required in order to drive a rental car in South Africa.

Extract from the Automobile Association of South Africa's website:

Please be advised that the South African Traffic Department are now enforcing a law which was passed in 1998 that travelers to South Africa wishing to rent a motor vehicle whilst in this country must be in possession of a valid "International Drivers Permit/License". Should travelers neglect to obtain this document before leaving their country of residence, they will not be permitted to hire a vehicle in South Africa.

http://www.aa.co.za/home/trave...nd/south_africa.aspx

International Drivers Permits can be obtained

At AAA office for your InternationalDriving Permit. Bring your valid U.S. driver's license, $15USD* ,
and two
ORIGINAL passport-type photos** (also available at AAA offices). You may
also wish to fill out our International Driving Permit application in
advance. NOTE: International Driving Permits may not be issued more than six
(6) months in advance of desired effective date. Simply print out the
application <javascript:appendPara('/vacation/idpapplc.html');> , fill in
the information requested and bring it with you to the AAA office nearest
you.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Kathy! I am planning to rent a car in RSA in November, so I will pick up an IDP at my automobile association office this week...
It pays to read AR!
Dave

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and the pain in the ass paperwork goes on and on and on and on middlefinger

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
You all know what an "international driver's license" really is, don't you?

It is not a driver's license doumenting your driving competency issued by some international agency. It is nothing more than a copy of your home driver's license that is duplicated in several forign languages. Nothing more.

Get you "international driving permit". Info here. http://travel.state.gov/travel...ety/safety_1179.html

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just go to your nearest AAA office? Hmmm, that would be about 360 miles away.....how convenient.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
and the pain in the ass paperwork goes on and on and on and on middlefinger

+1

Just one more reason to hunt other African countries. To be honest, I scratched RSA off my list when they came up with that cockamamy edict that a serial number had to be stamped on every part of every rifle.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
As I've said before, RSA continues to kill the golden goose!
holycow

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and the pain in the ass paperwork goes on and on and on and on

Jeez guys, gimme a break! It is a few minutes and a few bucks, or a postage stamp if you do it by mail. All this whining for that? Save your indignation for PETA...and get over yourselves.

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akpls:
Just go to your nearest AAA office? Hmmm, that would be about 360 miles away.....how convenient.

Lucky for me I drove right past one today. However, the application (available online) indicates you can mail the application in and there are options for expidited shipping.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just one more reason to hunt other African countries. To be honest, I scratched RSA off my list when they came up with that cockamamy edict that a serial number had to be stamped on every part of every rifle.

We should all be careful to not make statements like the above as newbies here often take what they read as fact. In this case the ser# only needs to be on the receiver for a bolt gun. In the case of something like a Blaser there does need to be a ser# on the barrels. Otherwise there needs to be no other ser# on any part of the gun.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Absolutely agree with DAL. How hard could it be to download a form and send it to AAA. And absolutely disagree with onefunzr2. This is no reason to scratch RSA off your list of places to go hunting. How many of us that have hunted there have actually rented a car and driven somewhere in RSA. I would guess not many. The people who would rent a car for some touring before of after their hunt probably have an international DL already. I just don't see the problem.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote