New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Delta Elite Rules
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any comments on the new rules to qualify as elite? Basically, the dollars you spend on tickets are now used instead of miles.

Diamonds get 11 miles per dollar spent, so to quality for Diamond you must spend $11363 or a little than $1000/month on tickets. One of my employees does, but I sure don't.

Platinum will take $8333/year in spend (assuming you are now Platinum).

Might just start buying 1st class tickets; not worth the hassle. On the other hand, buying a b class ticket just sounded better. Do a business meeting in Joberg, write off the ticket, and get nearly enough to make Platinum in one shot.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite a few moved to a more $-based system in the last few years, as they want to a) find a Win : Win, that links profits for them to returns for the FF. and b) allowed better returns to FF's only doing very frequent short-haul the ability to get status.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats not totally accurate... You still qualify for elite status by meeting two of three elements (one of which has to be spend).

Silver needs 25,000 MQM or 30 MQS
AND $2,500.00 dollars spend

Gold needs 50,000 MQM or 60 MQS
AND $5,000.00 dollars spend

Platinum needs 75,000 MQM or 100 MQS
AND $7,500.00 dollars spend

Finally Diamond needs 125,000 MQM or 140 MQS
AND $12,500.00 dollars spend

What you heard recently was Delta is changing the way we earn miles.

Non Elite earns 5 X Price of ticket (minus taxes)
Silver earns 7 X Price of ticket (minus taxes)
Gold earns 8 X Price of ticket (minus taxes)
Platinum earns 9 X Price of ticket (minus taxes)
Diamond earns 11 X Price of ticket (minus taxes)

So, this year an economy ticket to JNB that costs $1,613.10 will earn 16,866 MQM and 37,948 RQM for a Damond.

Next year that same ticket, for the DIamond Elite will cost $1,613.10 and will earn 16,866 MQM and only 17744 RQM.

In Business class though... that ticket to JNB costs $8,744.10 will earn 16,866 MQM and 75,000 RQM for a Damond.

My numbers did not take into accout the taxes, so the values will be slight ly less. But the 75,000 is the max that can be earned on a given trip. Minus the taxes, the business ticket is still maxed.

New earning definately skewed to the highest paying flyers...

Wouldn't take many paid business class tickets to JNB to earn a ticket... Like two!!!

"Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy."
Dan Gable

Posts: 55 | Location: Cedar Falls, IA | Registered: 17 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Bixby:
Thats not totally accurate... You still qualify for elite status by meeting two of three elements (one of which has to be spend).

Silver needs 25,000 MQM or 30 MQS
AND $2,500.00 dollars spend

Gold needs 50,000 MQM or 60 MQS
AND $5,000.00 dollars spend

Platinum needs 75,000 MQM or 100 MQS
AND $7,500.00 dollars spend

Finally Diamond needs 125,000 MQM or 140 MQS
AND $12,500.00 dollars spend

What you heard recently was Delta is changing the way we earn miles.

Non Elite earns 5 X Price of ticket (minus taxes)
Silver earns 7 X Price of ticket (minus taxes)
Gold earns 8 X Price of ticket (minus taxes)
Platinum earns 9 X Price of ticket (minus taxes)
Diamond earns 11 X Price of ticket (minus taxes)

So, this year an economy ticket to JNB that costs $1,613.10 will earn 16,866 MQM and 37,948 RQM for a Damond.

Next year that same ticket, for the DIamond Elite will cost $1,613.10 and will earn 16,866 MQM and only 17744 RQM.

In Business class though... that ticket to JNB costs $8,744.10 will earn 16,866 MQM and 75,000 RQM for a Damond.

My numbers did not take into accout the taxes, so the values will be slight ly less. But the 75,000 is the max that can be earned on a given trip. Minus the taxes, the business ticket is still maxed.

New earning definately skewed to the highest paying flyers...

Wouldn't take many paid business class tickets to JNB to earn a ticket... Like two!!!

Bob:
Thanks for pointing out all of this. I did neglect to add the new dollar based rules don't apply until 2015.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
it's interesting that the miles earned from ticket price is MINUS the taxes. if you look at any ticket price breakdown, taxes amount to almost 1/2 OF TOTAL TICKET COST on a coach ticket!!! in other words, the miles you earn are much less than you think- this system screws the average ticket buyer.../..

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13159 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
no jdollar the government is the screw er

not the business you are just paying one more double or triple tax to boma and company

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if I like the new rules or not but Delta had to do something because too many flyers were earning top status. Although I can't claim it happens frequently I was flying domestic one day last year and grumbled about not getting an upgrade as a diamond medallion. Turns out the guy next to me in the exit row and the guy across from us were both diamonds as well. Bottom line for me is that top tier frequent flyers are so common now that there is little benefit and I think Delta wants to change that. I know one change I like already is the new Global Upgrades for Diamond that allow you to upgrade an international economy fare to business class without it having to be a Y,B or M class like the old system wide upgrades. That is a big improvement in my book. Guess time will tell how this works out for Delta and for us.

Regards,

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonW28:
I'm not sure if I like the new rules or not but Delta had to do something because too many flyers were earning top status. Although I can't claim it happens frequently I was flying domestic one day last year and grumbled about not getting an upgrade as a diamond medallion. Turns out the guy next to me in the exit row and the guy across from us were both diamonds as well. Bottom line for me is that top tier frequent flyers are so common now that there is little benefit and I think Delta wants to change that. I know one change I like already is the new Global Upgrades for Diamond that allow you to upgrade an international economy fare to business class without it having to be a Y,B or M class like the old system wide upgrades. That is a big improvement in my book. Guess time will tell how this works out for Delta and for us.

Regards,

Don

I purposely avoided Diamond this past year so I could roll over max miles for 2014. The mile rollover isn't helping, nor is the AMEX card.

If I get an exit row seat, I am happy. But I do miss the old NWA - always got upgraded as Platinum. They even had a policy of giving you 1000 miles if you didn't get upgraded.

I am traveling less and less each year and sure don't miss it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonW28:

Regards,

Don

I bought a ticket last night to Alaska. I could buy coach for 800 or first for 1800. In the current scheme, it isn't worth the extra money; I normally get upgraded and even if I don't, I already have a poor man's upgrade: an exit row aisle.

Fast forward to 2015...now buying the coach ticket gets me 8800 miles but the erste classe nets 19,800. Now the extra money isn't that big of a deal, since if I buy six of those, I am Diamond. I would have to fly twice as much in coach.

Business class travelers who fly a lot will get Diamond in a snap. But the whole concept of getting status based on miles is likely to result in many people buying 1st class tickets, resulting in even fewer upgrades.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I understood that MQM's were still calculated on actual miles flown, but regular sky miles are on the new system of 9x $ticket cost for Platinum. Is that not right? No matter what, they are finding any way possible to nickel and dime us or just flat out screw us. Are other airlines this bad?

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
Are other airlines this bad?

I think they are all watching to see how this goes.
If it flies, no pun intended, it will be the new standard. FF miles have become a new form of currency, yet, at the same time, alienated the true FFers/big spenders.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
That's the truth.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote