THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Courtney Boot issues with Customs?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Courtney Boot issues with Customs?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Last time I traveled with my Courtney's I got the fish eye and a lecture from US Customs upon return, and was basically told I was lucky not to have them confiscated. I want to take them next week to Bots, but I don't want to risk another moronic response from some guy at Customs when I get back. Anyone had any issues lately?

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing they were ele boots?

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine have been checked for explosives. When x-rayed, they show a gel-filled cavity in the sole and TSA wonders if the gel is an explosive. They run an explosive-sniffing wand over mine.

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. Elephant & buffalo.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
It's your own fault for tempting fate.

I have the hippos, and the Brit customs folks in Heathrow about shit themselves over them, when I came back from Namibia in 2005.

If you have been warned, I don't know why you would tempt fate again.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Go get a 4457 from customs.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I have Lucchese boots of elephant hide purchased in Cavender's in San Antonio. If you have proof you purchased them in the US (a receipt or 4457) I would carry it with me and not worry about it.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my Courtney boots from, I believe, Westley Richards outlet, here in the States. They're gonna have a hard time getting my boots from me without paying me for them first.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 4457 for them, but I think I'll pass this time, and not tempt fate as MOA suggests.

114-R10David

One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
I'll be taking a pair of Courtney boots with me to Tanzania, but they too were purchased from Wesley Richards and are buffalo hide. Should I have any concerns?

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Only if you run into a customs agent who doesn't know the difference between elephant and buffalo hide. Get the 4457 just to be safe.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2327 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've been wearing a certain pair of Courtneys to hunt in Africa and other places in the world for the last 9 years (bought from Westley Richards) and if these loons really want them they had better have some proof that they are anything but buffalo and impala hide. Ridiculous!

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
if you check the display cases at ATL showing USFWS confiscated items you will see a brand new pair of elephant hide Courtney's. having said that, i bought a pair in Vic Falls 10 years ago and have been wearing them back and forth to Africa ever since. last time coming back, the Customs guy had me step in a shallow pan of disinfectant, then brushed the solution over the upper leather- THEN HE COMMENTED ON HOW NICE THE LEATHER GRAIN LOOKED!!!. i was coming back through LAX and i suspect part of any potential problems arise when you perhaps re-enter through ATL or maybe JFK. anyway, i intend to wear them on my upcoming ele hunt in Namibia(as well as the ele hide belt i bought from Will). if i can't wear/use them, don't see much point in having them.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13425 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is one of the reasons I travel SAA thru Dulles. They have never asked such questions. Most of the time they never even ask to see my weapons, just a welcome home sir.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Eish! Has anyone ever had an issues traveling with one of Will's elephant hide belts or wallets???

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16651 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in ATL now, just had my buff courteneys washed, with Will's ele passport/ travel wallet in hand, wearing ele tail bracelet. No issues

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless there is some overwhelming reason to ware your courteneys why risk bring attention to your self? I ware my elephant hair bracelet all the times in the states but leave it home when I go to Africa. Even though no one has ever weighed my ammo I still limit it to 11 lbs including the Cary case. While the chance is small of these things causing a problem if it dose happen you it could cause an delay in your trip

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have to plan to get by our Mickey Mouse Country? What a joke being us, has become.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's kind of funny to read several of the people in here huffing and puffing about how they would act if Customs seizes their boots, belts, etc. I'd like to see it in person as they have a choice of surrendering them or going to jail. Internet bravado is easy, arguing with customs as your next flight leaves is not quite so obvious.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the reality of the situation. customs will only get my Courteneys off my cold dead feet is a bit bravo 4 customs guys will take them off you warm alive feet and then through you in jail for resisting

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad deal but I always wear Clark's Desert Boots, hell of a lot cheaper and a hell of a lot quieter, although they probably are not as cool as my Courtneys. Problem solved.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't understand what the problem is if you have a 4457 form (in hand) showing the origin of the boots. I mean, thats the whole point of the form in the first place!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I think I'll just continue wearing my Courteney's. Hasn't been a problem but putting them on a 4457 is a good idea. Stupid to have to do it but we are dealing with the lowest common denominator here for sure.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Todd:
Customs told me a 4457 is for items with serial numbers--not just guns but cameras, binocs, etc... How can a pair of boots be put on a 4457?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
each pair comes complete with their own unique serial number embossed just above the heel.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
I have Lucchese boots of elephant hide purchased in Cavender's in San Antonio. If you have proof you purchased them in the US (a receipt or 4457) I would carry it with me and not worry about it.

My Tony Lamas have a Cites Number stamped on the inside, believe it or not.

See you when you return, TWL. Lots of luck! I was in camp with BEGNO and son in the Omay. Lots of stories.

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Todd:
Customs told me a 4457 is for items with serial numbers--not just guns but cameras, binocs, etc... How can a pair of boots be put on a 4457?
Cal

Yep Cal, the Courteneys have serial numbers on them! Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW - I personally know two people who have lost their Ele Courtney boots when coming back through US Customs from Africa. I would not take a chance on losing Ele boots based on the whim of a disgruntled Customs Agent.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I purchased my Courtney elephant boots in Bulawayo. I just wore them back on the plane.Went on BA through Heathrow to San Francisco. I packed my Cape buffalo Courtneys in my bag.No issues at all.

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
Hate to horse , but I've got to ask: My Courtneys aren't elephant, they're buffalo and they have two numbers which I always assumed were the date of manufacture: "3" and "02" It's quite a ways from my home to the closest U.S. Customs office. Is it worth it to "register" these and will Customs do so, if this isn't a serial number?

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Just tell them that it IS the serial number. I always use an abundance of caution when dealing with govt "officials" so the more ducks that you have in a row, the better!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote