New
Find
Notify
Tools

Q re RSA Rifle Permit
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
upcoming trip will require travel thru RSA. applied for and received thru 1 of the services my rifle permit for 2 guns. i have now had a mechanical issue with 1 of those guns and will leave it at home. will arrive with the other. do i need to alert the authorities prior to my arrival that i am only bringing 1 gun as opposed to 2?? obviously i will only have ammo for the 1 as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely! Never leave any room for confusion when dealing with African officials. Contact the service today.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what Mark said. And I'll add one more. Get to the customs folks and have another 4457 drawn up. Is it an absolute requirement? Nope. However, it will alleviate any questions from the SAPS folks, as well as our customs folks when you return. And, that's a good thing.

I now carry a seprate 4457 for each of my guns, and another with my camera equip on it.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I also have one for my Scopes, Rangefinder, and Binoculars and anything else with a Serial #.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This happened to a my traveling partner with one of his rifles before the trip. The groups started opening up alot and shifting impact. He didnt have enough time to change the paperwork or 4457 forms so he just brought it along and it sat in camp. He wanted to avoid any questions about 1 rifle with 2 on permit.

Greg

Posts: 201 | Location: Sonoma, California | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
What if my 4457 lists a firearm that I do not have with me? My 4457 lists 2 rifles, bit Iam only bringing one to SA. I have only provided info for the one rifle that Iam bringing for the SA inport permit.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana 1;

My US Customs Form 4457 lists several rifles and scopes, and I normally travel with only 1 or 2 of them. I have never had a problem at all (in 10 safaris). That being said, I use a service to obtain my SAPS permit, when traveling through RSA, and always have the rifles listed on the SAPS permit.

I don't think there will be a problem with the 4457, but I suggest you have the rifles that are listed on your SAPS permit with you at all times.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana1,
it should not be a proble. "Should" being the opporitive word. If, by chance, you get a brain dead customs offical on this side upon your return, or a SAPS offcier over there who doesn't understand how we do things, it could be a problem. I don't like if's and but's, if it were me i'd get another 4457 with just the rifle you're taking. Yer mileage may vary.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a number of 4457's and every one of them (like D. Nelson) lists multiple firearms (rifles, shotguns,) plus scopes, cameras, etc. etc. As long as you have the right 4457 listing the gun that you have with you, you're alright. You don't need to have a separate 4457 for each firearm. The 4457 is to prove ownership and that the firearm, or item taken abroad, is yours.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a number of 4457's and every one of them (like D. Nelson) lists multiple firearms (rifles, shotguns,) plus scopes, cameras, etc. etc. As long as you have the right 4457 listing the gun that you have with you, you're alright. You don't need to have a separate 4457 for each firearm. The 4457 is to prove ownership and that the firearm, or item taken abroad, is yours.

yup exactly right. i must have 6 or 8 forms with multiple things on them. i just bring them along everywhere. actually its kinda funny go thru the customs lines. the agents look at the whole bunch and just wave me through

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
double check your 4457's twice befre you leave the customs office I did not do thatand had to drive all the way backto tulsa to get another one with the right info on it. Customs guya a human they make mistukes to

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote