New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel through Dubai?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a hunt booked in South Africa for May 2012. In looking at airfare, Emirates Air has some pretty good pricing but there is a 9 hour layover in Dubai. Has anyone taken this route before? How is Emirates air? Also, are there any issues with my guns in Dubai? I assume they will be held and transfered since it is listed as a layover.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lefty
I have posted a couple times about Emirates Air
They are a great airline. Usually they put you up in a hotel and give you a snack when you arrive and a breakfeast when you leave . They shuttle you to the hotel and back that was all included.
Beware the gun and ammo issue is a different story. You must register with the police way ahead of time and then get verification they have received and accepted your gun transport application. They are real tuff on the paper work. Also no optics or scopes or any thing that can be attached to a rifle must be left in the checked baggage. They took my rifle scopes out of my carry on. My friend had his gun confiscated and another his ammo.
I guess if you book with an agent they will take care of all that paper work for you. They will also tell you if you will get a room and food voucher.
Have a great trip.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Anybody else with Emirates experience, especially in the economy class?

I always fly business but am taking my son-in-aw on his first safari in August and am considering Emirates economy class because the reports I've heard have described exceptional service and comfort. The 9 hour lay over in Dubai qualifies for the Emirates "long Stopover" option. What exactly does that include - the website is not explicit.

Anybody done the firearms clearance themselves, without a travel agent? How to?

Thanks for any input.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lefty,
I have also booked a flight through Dubai in June for my wife, son and I. Our layover is only for a couple of hours. The way I understand it is you must notify the airlines you are travelling with firearms and they will assist in the notification of the Dubai Airport Police which is neccessary to obtain the travel through documents.
I booked a month or so back but wanted to wait until after the first of the year to start the notification and permitting procedure. I guess now the time has arrived for me to get started on this.
Best of luck and kind regards,
Les

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the long layover option is the hotel and meal vouchers.
Check and see I think there is a web site for the Dubai police.
Must have confirmation from them with you.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
I have taken Emirates twice and have had a great experience each time. Great flight attendents and very pleasing. Both to Sydney and Europe!!!

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote