New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Layover In JNB.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend and I will have about a 9 hr layover in Sept. We fly out of Windhoek at 7:15 AM on SAA. We will check our bags through to Atlanta. We leave on the Delta flight at 8:40 PM. I don't think we can check in with Delta until 3 hrs before our flight. I believe we can get into the Air France lounge with our Delta Sky Club card but won't have a boarding pass. Any ideas?

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I've been in the same situation multiple times, having flown into JNB from Vic Falls, Bulawayo or Harare around noon and then leaving on DL 201 after 8 p.m.

I have a Delta Sky Club card, always print out my Delta e-ticket and never have had a peep out of the Air France people other than a nice hello and welcome. I've also been allowed entrance for one co-traveler, too. In 7+ hours one can eat lots of cheese and drink lots of wine, btw. Big Grin

Leaving JNB for VFA or HRE, etc, on morning flights, even though the Air France lounge is near the "downstairs" inter-Africa departure gates and would be nice to use, I've found the Air France club to be closed until after noon on some days.... it seems randomly???

Another observation:
Their are two Delta desks. One is all the way on the other side of the airport from the Air France lounge (you pass by it when deplaning inter-African flights) and there is the one within the unsecured portion of the main lobby. I've found it easier to go back to the first since you don't need to go through immigration, etc. You just need to tell the security folks what you're doing and they will let you through the door and you miss the hassle of passport checks, etc

Second hint: Delta will change a seating assignment in a heartbeat, particularly if you're late checking in. Be in line when they open for boarding passes if where you sit is important... i.e., exit row or bulkhead.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Judge,
We had the same deal last year. We couldn't to the Air France Lounge without a boarding pass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Airport hotel is cheap enough to get 1 room to rest for the day, could even place your rifles in Hotel Safe and spend a few hours seeing Jo,burg. Better than sitting in a Airport all-day.

Posts: 494 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
But, I am prettier than you.

Seriously, did you have a print out or e-ticket?

quote:
Originally posted by chuckmaxman:
Hey Judge,
We had the same deal last year. We couldn't to the Air France Lounge without a boarding pass.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
Picture of BearCountry953
posted Hide Post
Just spent 7 hours there on Friday. We arrived from Zim and had to wait to fly out that night on KLM/Delta/Air France all the same there. I was able to check my luggage and my guns right away the not more than 3 hours was of no concern. As long as the desk is open they will do it. Then went to Spur and hung out and it wasn't bad at all.

Posts: 97 | Location: USA Massachusetts | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
But, I am prettier than you.

Seriously, did you have a print out or e-ticket?

quote:
Originally posted by chuckmaxman:
Hey Judge,

I'm not sure about pretty. I think I'm a handsome devil though. Big Grin
We had E tickets. They wouldn't let us through without a boarding pass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BearCountry953:
Just spent 7 hours there on Friday. We arrived from Zim and had to wait to fly out that night on KLM/Delta/Air France all the same there. I was able to check my luggage and my guns right away the not more than 3 hours was of no concern. As long as the desk is open they will do it. Then went to Spur and hung out and it wasn't bad at all.

Our problem was the Delta ticket counter was closed. We will have our guns and luggage checked all the way through.

posted Hide Post
My son and I had to spend a good portion of the day at Tambo before our connecting flight to Kimberly.

We hung out at the Bidvest lounge in Terminal E I think it was. There are a couple/few of these in the airport. Reasonable cost, nice food buffet that changes through the day, and drinks from soda to beer to liquor. We had croissants and other breakfast items early and nice sandwiches for lunch. It was a reasonable cost too.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Is it feasible to leave Tambo for some shopping when you have a 6 or 7 hour layover, or best to stay put?

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
To my simple mind, one of the best places in Africa to get curios and Africa themed stuff is right in the airport at the Into Africa shop.

Quality is usually good and the prices are most reasonable.

One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Judge. My 14 yr old daughter and I leave in two weeks for Namibia. I was there two years ago, but this is her first trip, and she's not a hunter, so I'm trying to make the trip as enjoyable as I can for her. We are staying in the City Lodge on the trip down just so we can roam the airport at our leisure.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Very useful info!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
This is the place to go. Hand carved items from many Zimbabwe people and some fantastic curios. hang on to your wallet. Lots of stuff to buy. A little ride.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Sho...h_West_Province.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartbeespoort

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If you have an American Express Platinum Card you can take advantage of their "Priority Pass" program. It will get you into first class lounge around the globe. It will get you into all the Bidvest lounges, Mashonzha, and Shongololo lounges. YOu don't need a first class ticket or to be flying with a particular airline to get into first class lounge.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been a long time since I've been in that airport but Rusty is right, there are some good lounges AND some very nice bookstores, which are a favorite of mine.

Posts: 10025 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post
Done it a couple of times.

There is an Intercontinental hotel a short walk across from the terminal entrance and thats where I would head.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
does a person have to leave security for the Intrcontinental Hotel

Posts: 45 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bashaw:
does a person have to leave security for the Intrcontinental Hotel

Yes.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used African Sky in re - entry into to states?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have the "Global Entry" provided by US Customs. Haven't used it yet, but it seems well worth it.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my wife and I have a 21 hour layover on the way home. if we can't check in with our airlines, what can I do with my Rifle? if we want to leave the airport

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would spend about 3 hours of that time in the Ocean Basket eating King Prawns. dancing Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
my wife and I have a 21 hour layover on the way home. if we can't check in with our airlines, what can I do with my Rifle? if we want to leave the airport

I'd say get a roon

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats my point, we are flying in from Mozambique to get a room we need to leave the airport, so what do i do with my rifle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
thats my point, we are flying in from Mozambique to get a room we need to leave the airport, so what do i do with my rifle

I am useing AfricanSky in May...they handle everything including your firearms,in and out of JHB..get a good night sleep and on to Kasane for my last leg to start my hunt...their fees are reasonable and they are easy to work with...

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Take it with you.

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
I would pass thru immigration control, get a red cab or prearranged driver to Sandton City mall, do some shopping, go to the square and have lunch with a beer or good SA wine under the Mandela statue, visit Sharps (knife and gun shop) in the mall and late afternoon get the car back to OR Tambo .......

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote