New
Find
Notify
Tools

SA Currency Exchange
 Login/Join

Picture of TJH
posted
My Wife and I will be going on our first ever PG Hunt to SA in August. This will be our first trip out of the Country. Where and how is it the best to exchange currency? Are Travelers Checks needed or would a Credit or ATM card be better?

Thanks
TJH

Posts: 81 | Location: NW KS | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have allways just exchanged some cash at the airport for some Rand. Just enough to cover items I might buy while in country. I have allways paid the balance due to the outfitter in US cash since he posted all his fees in US currency. By exchanging at the airport you get a form showing how much you exchanged so if you exchange too much you can exchange it back to US. Also, when doing any exchange they will want to see your passport.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
credit card will give you the maximum exchange rate in RSA. do not use it in zim

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never buy more Rand than I think I'll want for pocket money to spend on the odd curios, or soda. I find you get a better exchange rate at your local bank than you do at the airport.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 931 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're going to use credit cards on your trip, it is a good idea to alert your CC company ahead of time that you are going to Africa and where you will be. It is fairly common for CC users in say, Joberg, to suddenly have their CC number being used in Nairobi or Dar, meaning it has been misappropriated. This is a trans-African problem and happens often. You just didn't know you needed that set of tires in Nigeria...... clap

If you don't tell your CC company that you are going to a specific country(ies) in Africa, it is possible that their fraud security mechanisms will freeze your card when the first few African charges hit until you call to confirm use in where ever you are in Africa. Needless to say, that can be inconvenient.

Because of the CC number theft issue, I only use my CC at major establishments and then only when I'm short of cash or if it is a major expense. That's by no means a guarantee against misappropriation but gives you a better chance than swiping it in a tent somewhere.

Personally, I'm not as allergic to cash as some in here seem to be, I always cash a few hundred dollars worth of local currency if I think there is any possibility that I might need some local currency, and I almost always need some (Zim might be an exception currently). Worse comes to worse, you can change it back to dollars on the way out. I usually plan on going back so keeping some rand, or N$, is not a big issue with me. I can't comment on the current situation in SA, but in most places the airport exchange rates are not as good as you're going to get at a bank. OTOH, if you're talking about cashing a few hundred dollars worth, your savings might be $10 at most. Not completely insignificant, but hardly worth your time looking for a stand alone bank when you're on a trip that costs many times that per day.

Finally, unlike the situation almost everywhere else in the world, the currency exchanges in the Windhoek airport usually give as good or better (better according to my Namibian friends) rates than you can get at a stand alone bank elsewhere in the country.

I've also found that the worst rates are usually in the exchange kiosks in US airports before you leave.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Also I think you will pay a 6 or 7% surcharge when you use your CC to buy something plus your Bank will charge 1 or 2% for overseas use?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TJH

Gatogordo gave you some great advise on using your card overseas. Any unusual spending patterns can cause the CC company to temporarily freeze your acct.

Personally I've never needed any Rand and I really don't think you will either. Prepay your safari costs and an estimate of trophy fees before the safari via wire transfer. Then you only need some pocket money and safari crew tips. Your US dollar should be readily accepted in RSA.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use the CC as Gatogordo stated. While we were there our PH offered to make any purchases for us that we wanted, then we just settled up with him at the end of our stay.

Posts: 1755 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: 21 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
TJH, Your PH should have no problems getting you some Rand. I know of no better conversion rate than dealing with the person who you've booked your hunt with. Ask him/her if they prefer USD or Traveler's Cheque's for some Rand. Keep some $1's in your pocket for tipping when you first arrive. Unless you've contracted meet and greet you'll need it.
Regards,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great advice, and that is what most of my PHs in South Africa have done. Better to reimburse them than to have your CC number used all over the continent. Take some USD and traveler' checks to pay off your PH for those things that he purchases for you, or for those items that you purchase on your own. I would not use my CC unless I absolutely had to. Two months ago I received a call from my CC Company letting me know that some fools had used my CC number recently in Paris, to try to charge $8K for personal purchases. The only time that I used the card in Paris was last August and at the Sheraton Airport at CDG Airport. That's why I won't use it unless I absolutely have to.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno about you guys, maybe you hang around with a better class of PHs than I do, but I've been around 5 or 6 of them over the years and not one of them could "front" a $1000 purchase with what he had with him.......

As far as the PH "getting you some rand", I've been that route 3 or 4 times as well, and NEVER ONCE was it cheaper than I could have obtained at the bank. Mostly it was significantly higher. I don't appreciate being jabbed and avoid that issue by having my own local currency.

Not related, but I feel the same way about places in South American that provide dove hunts, where they sell you shells for $14 or $15 a box when they cost substantially less than that. My thoughts are, if you need more money for your operations to be profitable, then just charge more upfront. I don't mind anyone making a reasonable profit for handling and storing ammo but 30 or 40% is not reasonable for the volumes of shells involved IMO and I won't do business with people who do business that way.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always use my ATM card to get a supply of Rand to use for tips and incidental purchases upon arrival in South Africa. And I have used credit cards in South Africa without difficulty or fraud, but, you must be prudent.

We will prepay, by Wire Transfer, all of our daily Rate and expected Trophy fees expenses to our [TRUSTED!] outfitter to avoid much of the cash issue.

The best exchange rates will be from the ATM or the Credit Cards, [even after their charges] but the Rennies Currency Exchanges seem to have better rates in general. They are also offering a pre loaded Visa Card for use there now.

The very worst exchange rates will be hotels, shops, and local banks. [BTW be prepared to use only the new multicolor US$ bills if available as some may not accept the older bills.]

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flying home my buddy had his credit card frozen, we had missed our plane and his wife was in tears...luckily my cards still worked. Imagine yourself in a strange place with no money at all. Carry lots of credit cards, let them know you're going overseas and have your ATM card too. I'd rather have too much currency than not enough, a thousand rand isn't much money at all. When I ran out of rand I got more at the camp and just had it tacked onto my bill.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geez, don't you have pockets on your travel pants?
There is not one little wide spot on the road that does not know the exact exchange rate in most african countries for their currency VS US Dollars. I carried a couple grand with me to Zimbabwe last December and had no issues. My PH had told me not to even tell anybody on the continent I had a CC a week before I left. Nobody is going to beat you up and take your lunch money fellas! Put your cash or travelers checks inside the little neck bag your passport is in, and a hundred or so in twenties in your front pants pockets.

Why do some people need to complicate everything? Last month someone posted wanting to know if they needed American toilet paper, or if the native stuff would work. The roll is the same size, in case some of you were concerned.

Simplify, and just use a little common sense.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
I took about $1000 US with me last year to Namibia, converted some to Rand in Frankfurt (bad move - horrible rate and fees), and then once in Namibia I either used my credit card (A LOT!) or get Rand/N$ from ATM machines.

Before leaving I informed two of my cc companies (one was a backup) of my travel. My Capital One card has NO foreign exchange fees (very nice, as some charge 2-3%) and I used it with no problems all over Namibia. Most places accepted Visa/MC with no problems at all.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I got some Rand from my bank a week before we left and it worked well for me that way. American Express has exchange counters at the Jo'burg airport, with competitive exhange rates so that is another way to go. Peronally, I'd prefer to not conduct my financial business in teh middle of an extremely busy airport, as you never know who's watching.

I would recommend having enough Rand for tips to the African staff, as they have a more difficult time with USD than your PH will. Your safari operator or PH can advise you on how much to tip the staff members.

We spent a week at the beginning of our trip touring Kruger and staying at Monwana Lodge, and I used my credit cards for most expenses that weren't already pre-paid. I did pre-pay as many things as possible before we left, with able assistance from Marita Dyason of Spear Safaris.

Posts: 3857 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote