New
Find
Notify
Tools

Over size bag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am wondering if anyone has had to pay extra for their gun cases?

I am thinking of the Tuff Pak and cases like the Pelican 1750 or Storm case im3300.

I have never been charged extra when flying with the Tuff Pak, but this has been within the US and Canada.

For the Zim. trip, I am considering taking a Storm Case 3300 which is 53" x 16 OD.

Many Thanks

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to pay oversize charges from both BA and Delta each time I've gone. I use a Storm 3300.

I think it was a couple hundred bucks or so each way, except the one time I was upgraded to first, then they said it was included.

Posts: 10727 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a Tuff Pak on a trip to Tanzania last December and did not incur any additional charges.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I always travel with a Pelican 1750 and have never been charged a thing extra.

I haven't checked in a while, but I believe that dimensional limits don't apply to sporting goods. That may have changed, but nonetheless, I've never had an issue.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
TSA and all airlines regs specify the use of an "approved" gun case. They can't turn around and charge you for packaging the government and they themselves require. Anybody who is told different at check-in should immediately ask to speak with a supervisor - and produce the copy of the airline and TSA regulations you have put in your passport case or carry-on bag for just such an incident.

My TuffPak has made trips all around the world, including my last 12 safaris. I have never been charged by any airline going, coming or on the continent.

Beware of idiot TSA agents and incompetent airline clerks.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldHandgunHunter:
I haven't checked in a while, but I believe that dimensional limits don't apply to sporting goods . That may have changed, but nonetheless, I've never had an issue .

+1

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Beware of idiot TSA agents and incompetent airline clerks.

You're being redundant! shame rotflmo

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1550 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Some airlines are now charging a surcharge on oversized bags, including riflecases over certain dimensions. I'd recommend you check the website of whatever airline you're travelling with, print off their requirements and take it with you when you travel.

Tuffpaks do in the case of some airlines now exceed that limit I'm afraid...... If you do a search here, I'm fairly sure this has been previously discussed and I think some of the airlines were named as well.

The bloody airlines now seem to try to find every way possible to screw their passengers out of their money. - Brit newspapers are currently talking about fuel surcharges of anything up to US$300! Confused

FWIW, size requirements etc are the resonsibility of the individual airlines, not the TSA. As their name suggests, the Transportation Security Administration are there to administer security and not airline baggage sizes/weights etc.

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I had to pay oversize charges from both BA and Delta each time I've gone. I use a Storm 3300.

I think it was a couple hundred bucks or so each way, except the one time I was upgraded to first, then they said it was included.

Interesting. I use a Storm 3300 as well, but did not have to pay any additional fees for it on my trip to Namibia in May 09. Flew Delta from ATL to JNB

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all!

I have reviewed the airlines rules, and it appears to me, it may just come down to the view the person that checks you in deceides to take that day.

The Storm 3300 is over the 62" limit, so I can see how they could charge the extra $200 each way.

Many Thanks

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear HBH
When we went to leave RSA They wanted $100 per kg over weight.
10kg is a lot of money.

This is with V Australia.

Have never been charged for over size just over weight.

Kind Regards Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote