Find
Notify
Tools

Quick Question about 4457
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted
I have Henry taking care of permits. I am flying out of D.C. on South African. Should I print out my 4457 fill out information and get notarized before I check guns with Home Land Security at Dulles?

Seems like every airport is different.
Any information is greatly appreciated.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
only the original is acceptable

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
So can I get a 4457 from customs when I check my guns? I am 4 hours from DC so do I have to go to that office and pick up their 4457 get notarized? This is another reason why I hate traveling with Guns to Africa.

Captain Clark Purvis

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wouldn't advise waiting that long. 1st find the closest customs, then find out when they are open. the process doesn't take a long time, but is reliant on somebody from customs in the office. if they aren't in you could easily miss a flight. notorized isn't necessary since it is the original

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can go to any customs office to get the 4457. I definitely would not wait until the day of your trip to get the 4457.

I normally travel with the original and a few notarized copies. Most places are ok with the copies but every now and then someone wants to see the original.

I also scan and email to myself a copy of all my important documents so I can retrieve them anywhere I can get email.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1

quote:
Originally posted by Jaglav:
You can go to any customs office to get the 4457. I definitely would not wait until the day of your trip to get the 4457.

I normally travel with the original and a few notarized copies. Most places are ok with the copies but every now and then someone wants to see the original.

I also scan and email to myself a copy of all my important documents so I can retrieve them anywhere I can get email.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get them in advance. I have my folks at the office color copy them so you can't tell an original from a copy. You can do the same thing at Kinkos. Then I send my copies to the folks who need to get my African permits, and the folks who need to get my Dutch permits, then I laminate one and put it in my carryon.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
There is no need to notarize. I have mine laminated as well as copies.

I keep one set with me and another set in Nalpak. This way, on the way back, if my guns arrive a day or two after me customs can still clear the guns using the copies.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:

I keep one set with me and another set in Nalpak. This way, on the way back, if my guns arrive a day or two after me customs can still clear the guns using the copies.

How is customs opening the Tuffpak when you are the only one with a key?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I was told to simply Print from website and bring form. Every office is different. I am going to print below from and get notarized. I am hoping that this will be sufficient for them when I check my guns.

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/defau...%20Form%204457_0.pdf

Captain Clark Purvis

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:

It is perfectly acceptable to copy and notarization is NOT necessary. Customs will even tell you copies are perfectly acceptable and advise making them.

But to the OP...get 4457's done well ahead of time at nearest USCBP agency.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36646 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
During my return from Africa, the USCBP agent (Atlanta) clearing my firearms asked to view my completed 4457 forms. He viewed my "notarized" 4457 forms and then politely advised me that a completed and processed 4457 form is considered to be a "formal government document" and that "notarization" of the document is prohibited by federal law. He advised that he was just providing me with a "heads up" and proceeded to clear my firearms for re-entry into the U.S. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
The notarization is not for US customs, but for RSA permits.

I normally make a half dozen copies, get half notarized, with the embossed seal, not just the stamp, for whatever reason, they seem to like that over there.

Seems like when I get back I have but one copy left, after everyone gets one that wants it. Copies are cheap, notary works for me, he will stamp whatever I ask for as many times as I need!

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 347 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BuffNut
posted Hide Post
Interesting question about originals - I now photocopy mine with a copy of my Illinois FOID card on the back and have them laminated. Paper copies with a notarization on 8 1/2 x 11 paper go in my gun case.

I have sometimes wondered if I'll ever get hassled for an original - for some of the guns I've had for a long time I don't even think I could find the original - I scan everything to PDF and keep electronic versions of everything now. But no one ever has.

Notarization is stupid, but Africans love a seal. Makes your "license" more official.

Coming back through Atlanta a couple weeks ago a guy ahead of me in line to collect his rifles at the little "gun room" in customs had enlarged copies of his 4457s literally pasted into the inside cover of his gun case. He just flipped open the cover, lifted up the rifle and pointed to the correct enlarged 4457 pasted on the inside lid. The customs guy didn't bat an eye.

Posts: 193 | Location: Cherry Log, Georgia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
USC&BP will tell you it is fine to copy 4457's, actually recommend you should make copies, and copies are as good as the original for USA inspection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36646 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Interestingly enough, when I came back through Atlanta last week, one dumb-assed hunter had left his original 4457 in South Africa when asked for it by the outfitter there. He arrived in Atlanta without it and when he went to pick up his guns (he was just ahead of me in the line), he explained his dilemma and they had him fill out one right there in the office while they checked his guns. He was in there longer than normal and none of us were privy to his conversations with the two Customs officers. He left with an original from that office and a deep sigh of relief.