THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Connections on British Air and South African airways

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Connections on British Air and South African airways
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has any flown from the states via BA and then connected on SAA. We will have guns and cannot book all the way to Windhoek and back because BA uses Comair on the return flight. Wondering about weapons transfer.

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We've done the U.S. To South Africa on British Airways twice while connecting to South African, in 2011 to Windhoek, Namibia and last year to Maun, Botswana. No problems with either flights but you will need to clear your firearms in Joberg. I highly recommend paying one of the many services to assist with firearms. I've used Air2000 and Africa Sky and was happy with their services. There are lots of other companies as well. Depending on connection time you may want to consider overnighting in Joberg.

No problems at all with firearms on BA. You pay extra for the handling but your firearms will show up as they transport firearms in the secure cargo hold that they use for currency, bullion, and diamond shipments.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are trying to eliminate staying in Joberg. Did you have to collect your weapons both ways? I was hoping to check weapons all the way through. BA has a connecting flight on the way with SAA but not on the way back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our tickets were booked separately so we had to collect weapons both ways. If you book the tickets so that the BA and SAA flights are on the same ticket you may be ok. You can go to BA's website and look under the information/baggage essentials area where there is a contact link to enquire about traveling on other carriers along with BA.

The advantage to claiming the rifles in Joberg is that you know that they will get on the connecting flight, just allow some extra time. Last time to Botswana we were in and out of the firearms area in about 30 minutes using Africa Sky. Previous experiences with Air 2000 were similar.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck

What Jaglav said. Use a service and collect your guns and luggage at O.R. Tembo. Physically transfer them yourself with help from the service and you'll know where your kit is. If you have to overnight I recommend the City Lodge on the airport proper. No shuttle necessary!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12885 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. That definitely help me figure it out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just be sure of which airport in London you are flying into and out of - there are two: Heathrow and Gatwick. I think SAA connects in Gatwick. If you fly into Heathrow and have to change airports over to Gatwick you've got to hire a special courier (expensive) to transport the firearms - each way.

Go through J'berg (with firearms) a couple of times a year to Namibia. Have always been able to check them and luggage all the way through to Windhoek and skip the SAPS stuff in J'berg. As long as your layover is "less then 24 hours" and the "next available flight" you don't have to collect and re-check with SAA in J'berg.

Up until this spring, you could fly Delta to J'berg and trans to SAA on a "spit ticket" - one for Delta and a separate one for SAA. All you had to do was show the Delta agent both tickets at check-in and request it. Same with SAA on the way back. As I said, Delta announced earlier this year (April I think) that they would no longer do that.

Damn crazy thing is that if you have just one "contiguous" with both Delta and SAA flights on it, you CAN still check all the way through.

A new alternative is KLM from Amsterdam straight into Windhoek. Overnight flight in and would be another overnight flight (probably) from the US to Amsterdam. Either 3 or 4 flights a week (I think) and there is an advance notification/transit permit requirement for Amsterdam. Only read about it and haven't done it yet.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are not flying Delta this year because of the cost. Almost $3000 for Delta and SAA. $1500 for BA and SAA. I prefer to spend my money hunting and not with the airlines.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If we are flying BA would we have to get gun permits if we are just rechecking weapons and luggage to SAA? About a 4 hr layover.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck:

Not completely sure I understand your question but.....

If you have one ticket per passenger that has been issued by either the airline or travel agent, with all the flights and carriers on it, that is a "contiguous" ticket. You can check your luggage and rifle cases in on your very first flight and don't have to pick them up until you arrive at your destination. Some exceptions to this exist - Like Jet Blue connecting with SAA in JFK. You can check luggage (with ammo) all the way but Jet Blue will only check your rifle case(s) to JFK. You have to claim them there and hand carry to the SAA counter and check them in.

If you have to purchase separate tickets - one with BA to London and one with SAA from London in, even IF they have a baggage handling agreement between them (they do) they STILL might require you to collect your luggage in London and re-check with SAA.

I don't think you need any kind of transit permit for London PROVIDED your don't have to change airports to make your connection. If your asking about transiting via Amsterdam, I THINK they require a transfer permit regardless if you touch the rifle cases or not. Frankfurt was doing this for a couple of years ago. It was started by the Frankfurt Mayor and a real PIA. They drop the transfer permit requirement a couple of years ago and we've flown Lufthansa direct overnight, day room in Frankfurt and overnight on SAA and Lufthansa to J'berg and in to Windhoek a couple of times since. Also did the Frankfurt route and directly in to Windhoek with Air Namibia once. Time wise this was a very good route. Since then, Air Namibia has started charging $100 per rifle case extra, each way and the total cost of tickets makes Delta's Atlanta - J'berg route cost competitive and once less calendar day of travel.

While I haven't specifically flown BA to London and connected with SAA, a couple of years ago I did call BA about the Heathroe/Gatwick transfer with firearms. BA is the one who told me about the specialized courier requirement each way. The agent did offer a routing the would get us into Gatwick directly to connect with SAA. Only reason we didn't go that route is it was two overnight flights - 4+ calendar days of travel.

I've called BA a couple of times and every time the agents have been very helpful. Just need to also be aware of the COMAIR subsidiary of BA the will not carry firearms at all.

Give BA a call or PM me with a phone number and we can discuss further.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m3taco:
Chuck:

Not completely sure I understand your question but.....

If you have one ticket per passenger that has been issued by either the airline or travel agent, with all the flights and carriers on it, that is a "contiguous" ticket. You can check your luggage and rifle cases in on your very first flight and don't have to pick them up until you arrive at your destination. Some exceptions to this exist - Like Jet Blue connecting with SAA in JFK. You can check luggage (with ammo) all the way but Jet Blue will only check your rifle case(s) to JFK. You have to claim them there and hand carry to the SAA counter and check them in.

If you have to purchase separate tickets - one with BA to London and one with SAA from London in, even IF they have a baggage handling agreement between them (they do) they STILL might require you to collect your luggage in London and re-check with SAA.

I don't think you need any kind of transit permit for London PROVIDED your don't have to change airports to make your connection. If your asking about transiting via Amsterdam, I THINK they require a transfer permit regardless if you touch the rifle cases or not. Frankfurt was doing this for a couple of years ago. It was started by the Frankfurt Mayor and a real PIA. They drop the transfer permit requirement a couple of years ago and we've flown Lufthansa direct overnight, day room in Frankfurt and overnight on SAA and Lufthansa to J'berg and in to Windhoek a couple of times since. Also did the Frankfurt route and directly in to Windhoek with Air Namibia once. Time wise this was a very good route. Since then, Air Namibia has started charging $100 per rifle case extra, each way and the total cost of tickets makes Delta's Atlanta - J'berg route cost competitive and once less calendar day of travel.

While I haven't specifically flown BA to London and connected with SAA, a couple of years ago I did call BA about the Heathroe/Gatwick transfer with firearms. BA is the one who told me about the specialized courier requirement each way. The agent did offer a routing the would get us into Gatwick directly to connect with SAA. Only reason we didn't go that route is it was two overnight flights - 4+ calendar days of travel.

I've called BA a couple of times and every time the agents have been very helpful. Just need to also be aware of the COMAIR subsidiary of BA the will not carry firearms at all.

Give BA a call or PM me with a phone number and we can discuss further.

We would be flying from Chicago to London and then London to Johannesburg. We would then have to switch to SAA. BA does have a inbound SAA flight to Windhoek but coming back they use Comair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck:

The two things you'll need to make sure of are:

1. You're flying into Gatwick and NOT Heathroe. I am pretty sure the BA leg to J'berg is only out of Gatwick (may have that backwards).

2. Any leg with COMAIR is a "no go" for firearms.

Try calling BA directly and explain to them the issues. An agent might be able to get you back out on SAA.

I have a similar with us when I try to look for tickets on-line. BA has a direct flight from Tampa to Heathrow, trans to Gatwick and in. But, if I call an agent they can book an alternate route into Gatwick. The reason we haven't done this is with the alternate routes and no COMAIR legs SAA via JFK or IAD to J'berg and in are a better price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
South Africa: Transportation of firearms on BA/Comair/Kulula Flights

Please be advised that with effect from 1 March 2013, Comair will no longer be accepting firearms for carriage on any domestic or regional flight operated by both the British Airways and kulula brands. This includes all hunting rifles, or any weapon requiring special handling, that may not be carried as either hand luggage or checked baggage.

Passengers who hold bookings on any BA/Comair or kulula flight after this date will need to make alternative flight bookings. Please note, this information only applies to southern African flights and does not apply to British Airways international flights between London and South Africa.

Released by: Comair Limited

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Why don't you let Gracy or Travel With Guns just work it out for you? Travel to Africa is their main business.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12885 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
BA has 2 flights a day to JNB from Heathrow. Connecting in Heathrow is a breeze as long as all flights are out of T5. One flight is on an A380 and the other on a 747-400. The A380 is a nicer plane. The 747 are old and in need of updating.

Posts: 755 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
BA has 2 flights a day to JNB from Heathrow. Connecting in Heathrow is a breeze as long as all flights are out of T5. One flight is on an A380 and the other on a 747-400. The A380 is a nicer plane. The 747 are old and in need of updating.

I did have them reversed, my bad - our BA flights direct from Tampa to London lands at Gatwick. Like you said above the BA flights to J'berg originate out of Heathrow.

Still the same firearm transfer process/expense and still prudent to make sure the BA flight from the US lands in Heathrow to avoid the inter airport transfer issues.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SAA flies out of term 2 at heathrow and doesnt use gatwick at all. out of heathrow BA has changed its policy and wont ticket baggage through to a SAA flight out of joburg onwards to another int destination. you have to go through immigration collect your bags and go to departures and recheck in with SAA. this is fairly recent. the earlier evening flight at 19.05hrs arr joburg 07.05am is the A380 and the later one is on the 747 (usually) that departs sometime after 21.00hrs

Posts: 81 | Location: uk and zambia | Registered: 27 December 2015Reply With Quote