THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Rifle scope in carry-on luggage ?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle scope in carry-on luggage ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted
Headed to South Africa in August . Flying Delta from ATL to Jo'Burg. Can I carry a spare rifle scope in my carry on luggage ?

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Technically yes, but why take the chance. Some TSA agents will say it's part of a rifle and not permit you to take it in your carry on luggage. Just put it in the case with your rifle. This question has been posted several times before and some people have had problems others didn't. It all depends upon the TSA agent.

I travel with my dog to N. Dakota every year to hunt pheasants. For years I took my electronic dog collar with me in my carry on luggage. Never had a problem then one year the TSA agent wouldn't permit me to take it with me. He claimed it was a "shocking device" and not permitted. I had to hurry back to the ticket counter and put the collar in my checked bag. Fortunately, my bag was still at the counter.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2294 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advise

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swaincreek,

Labman gave you some excellent advise. Do not put your scope in your carry-on for the reasons he gave you. It's not worth taking the chance of loosing your scope.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
And just to expand, it isn't only TSA on this side that can cause you grief. I have been present when JNB security made a hunter remove his scope from his carry-on. Fortunately his mad dash back to the rifle clearance office was in time for him to place the scope into his checked luggage.

Don't take the chance; you could lose a scope.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Back in the late 70's when flying across the ditch to Oz to hunt buffalo, long before 911 and all the bullshit that brought, my hunting mate took the Kahles scope off his Brno and put it in his carry on bag (we only had soft bags for our guns, didn't need to be in a hard case or locked up as check in baggage). They took the scope off him when we went through the security check which back then was a physical search of carry on bags, and gave it to the pilot who returned it as we were disembarking.

When politely pointing out to security that the scope was no different than binoculars or a camera their irrational answer was that another passenger could have other parts of a firearm and assemble it once on board. Really!!! after going through a security search and then why would one need a scope inside an aircraft?

Nowadays having anything to do with a firearm, even an owners manual, is not something I would ever dream of having in my carry on bag. Why risk giving an uninformed idiot cause to exert whatever authority his pea brain thinks he has on you in the departure or arrival hall.

Posts: 3857 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
When leaving through LAX a few years ago I had the claw mount scope in my carry-on. TSA agents called me aside after the scan, made me take it out and then proceeded to put it in some sophisticated machine. I asked what they were doing and was told they were checking for gunpowder residue. "Wouldn't it be normal for a rifle scope to show gunpowder residue?", I asked. No answer from the TSA agent and they let me go, with the scope in my carry-on. So, you never know, they may just want to try out a gadget or exersize their prerogative to make your day miserable.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've often wondered why my tuffpak and other equipment never tests positive when they do the swab test and the only reason I can think of is that they are actually testing for black powder rather than the propellant used in centre fire rifle ammo.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, much appreciate the feedback.

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote