New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harare
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone recommend a good place to overnight in Harare?

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been a while but Meikles was pretty good.

Posts: 11978 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
From my report of my hunt in March:

...a B&B in a nice section of Harare (Ballentyne Park), run by Shirley Harrison and her husband. We were met by their driver in a new Mitsubishi Pajero and driven the ~30 minutes to the House Harrison. Accommodations were very nice, and just $100 for a single, less if sharing a double. For an additional $20/person we had them prepare a meal of steak w/the trimmings. There was no charge other then a tip to the driver for airport pick-up and return. I would suggest that anybody overnighting in Harare considers the House Harrison, Shirley is great to work with and it felt very “homey”. Also, the cost is considerably less then other options that I looked at, such as Gecko and York lodges ($160-$190/person plus airport transfer and food if desired/required).

Shirley Harrison: dharrison@zol.co.zw

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have stayed at the Gecko Gardens and was very pleased. It is not cheap, but the service and acomodations were great.

I am booked into the Bronte Hotel this year at the PH's recommendation. Much more affordable, but will have to wait a few weeks before I can give a first hand report.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Gecko is very nice, but $190 a night. In December they have you by the balls, not many other choices then.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We stayed at the Jameson in 2007. It was just OK. I don't know what it is like now.

The Harrison House and Shirley look much better Smiler

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have sent a em to Shirley, but have not heard back.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Usually use Pangolin or shirley...but there are plenty of other little places with a personal touch. Miekels is the 'traditional' hunters hang out...but not as many there these days as once. They have a proper lock up though for rifles if you are staying in town for a few days and want to go sight seeing etc. but then seem to recall the others have gun cabinets in the main houses where you can leave stuff...

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have stayed at both Meikles and Pangolin: very different venues, however, we really like Meikles

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Anybody stayed at the Bronte Hotel?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
Anybody stayed at the Bronte Hotel?

I stayed at the Bronte. I thought it was good and reasonably priced.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second, the Bronte nice and clean, garden type setting, good bar, good food, $112.00 per night,very secure,very clean, 15 min form the airport....have a great hunt

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
It was a done deal that we were staying at the Bronte until Hartley saw that photo of Shirley. Thanks for confusing the matter Bill.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote