THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Passport Expiration - Update with renewal info.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passport Expiration - Update with renewal info.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted
Does anyone know what the rules are in RSA and Zim for time left on your passport before expiration? I just booked a trip to Zim in September and will be flying from New York to Joberg then on to Vic Falls. I just checked my passport and it expires December 23, 2018. I kind of recall reading that your passport must be valid for at least six months after your travel date for some African countries.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2327 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you have time, renew it.

Not sure about the US, but here one walks into the passport office and gets a new one while waiting.

Some countries do require a certain time left, as well as number of empty pages.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68763 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I just did a little research online and found that RSA requires the passport to be valid for 30 days after the end of your travel. Zimbabwe apparently doesn't have a requirement but RECOMMENDS six months from end of travel. Given how African officials like to interpret things when looking for a bribe I can see how "recommends" becomes "required" in their minds. Looks like I'll be renewing my passport. I don't want to give them any opportunities for a shakedown.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2327 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
I just did a little research online and found that RSA requires the passport to be valid for 30 days after the end of your travel. Zimbabwe apparently doesn't have a requirement but RECOMMENDS six months from end of travel. Given how African officials like to interpret things when looking for a bribe I can see how "recommends" becomes "required" in their minds. Looks like I'll be renewing my passport. I don't want to give them any opportunities for a shakedown.

Good thinking. I was already gonna suggest, with about 5 months time, just do it now. That way, there's nothing to worry about.

Posts: 3904 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Mine expires next April in the middle of a hunt that I've booked for.

But, I have no expected travel for a month or so right now so I sent it in for renewal last week.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed. Here too it USED to be pretty quick to get a passport renewed. But now 6 weeks to several months, since it was sourced out to private industry. Also, the price now 5 times as high.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tysue:
Saeed. Here too it USED to be pretty quick to get a passport renewed. But now 6 weeks to several months, since it was sourced out to private industry. Also, the price now 5 times as high.

And five times as many people now have to have a passport since travel to Canada (our new biggest enemy, who knew, we just though they were polite neighbors?) and Mexico now requires a passport when it didn't a few years ago. The shear volume of passport applications and renewals has slowed the passport process.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Six months seems to be the “rule” if you will not have that left, renew now.

Posts: 771 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just got new ones since we didn't have enough time and they all took less then 4 weeks.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info and responses. Just mailed my passport renewal package.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why didn't you just extend it?

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I went to Zim in SEP 2016, the outfitter's staff sent me an e-mail to make positively sure my US passport would have at least 6 months left on it prior to my planned exit from Zim.

Renew now and don't take chances.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Never heard of extending a passport. Mine was due to expire in December 2018 so I did a renewal for another 10 years. How does one "extend" a passport. I didn't see anything about that on the state dept. website.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
My wife and I just renewed our passports (both had expired) and in each case the new ones arrived in about a month.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1554 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cannot extend them any more, nor can you add pages. Always get the bigger passport now or you risk running out of pages if you travel a lot.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Never heard of extending a passport. Mine was due to expire in December 2018 so I did a renewal for another 10 years. How does one "extend" a passport. I didn't see anything about that on the state dept. website.

Some Asian countries do that.

Cheaper than giving a new one.

Works for people who do not travel much only.

I sometimes have to have mine replaced well within its date.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68763 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

My advise to all my clients is to have the passport valid for at least 6 months following their hunt. Had one guy pitch up at the ticket counter to check in for Zim and was denied check in because of his expiry date. Also make sure you have enough empty pages in the passport to allow for the customs stamps for each country.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Just got the new one in the mail, strange to see it so empty.

At least they send back the old one with all the visas and stamps in it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
Cannot extend them any more, nor can you add pages. Always get the bigger passport now or you risk running out of pages if you travel a lot.

Regards

I got the extra pages when I renewed mine the last time. In the past I have added pages, but I was under the impression any new ones will be standard page counts - that extra pages are no longer offered...am I wrong?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
When I printed out the form for renewal there was an option for either a standard version or the one with extra pages.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I mailed my passport renewal package on July 2, 2018. Today, July 20th., I received my new passport. Total time 18 days. Surprisingly fast turnaround from our government.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Just got the new one in the mail, strange to see it so empty.

At least they send back the old one with all the visas and stamps in it.

That is the standing rule if the Visas are still valid and you can present the cancelled passport together with the valid one at the country being visited when the visa comes into play and entry will be granted (stamp goes in the valid book).

Alternatively you may choose to go to the Embassy of the country that issued the visa and have it transferred to the new/valid passport.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Previously when I renewed my passport I received the old one with holes stamped through the book. Not this time. The old passport was not returned.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
When I renewed mine earlier this year, the old passport was returned in a separate mailing. I believe you'll get it.

Posts: 22 | Location: W. KENTUCKY | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I renewed mine earlier this year, the old passport was returned in a separate mailing. I believe you'll get it.

You're correct. My old passport arrived in the mail a day after the new one.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You're correct. My old passport arrived in the mail a day after the new one.

They always return your old one.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote