New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Town Travel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok here is what I am thinking, tell me if this is a good plan or not.

I have a hunt scheduled for 2010 to KZN. My wife would like to go to Africa, just not on the hunt portion of the trip (she is thinking about some alone time also).

My plan is to fly into Capetown, spend a couple of days there with her, then fly Capetown to Durban for the hunt I have scheduled - 5 days. Then back to Capetown for a day, meet up with her and fly back to the USA.

What do you guys think? Would this be easily doable?

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The Cape is a beautiful area with lots to see, but Capetown and Durban are a long way part.

You might be better off either taking her with you on the hunt (most KZN hunting areas have a lot of non hunting activities in the same area) or booking her into a nice photo lodge in KZN and restrict your entire trip to that province.

If you need advice on the good the bad and the ugly etc, feel free to e-mail me on shakari3@mweb.co.za and I'll be glad to offer whatever help and advice I can.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Far better would be for you to fly and do your hunt first. Go directly via Joburg to Durban. Do your hunt.

Then fly to Cape Town on a day arranged for your wife to arrive from the States, and spend a week or ten days in the Cape. (Durban is a boring place compared with Cape Town and surrounds.)

If you are going in the winter, you admittedly risk some rainy weather in Cape Town, but just drive out to the wine country or over to to coast, including the southernmost point of AFrica at Cape Aghulas. Somewhat north of Cape Town is Namaqualand with incredible wild flowers in mid-August or so.

Regards

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took my wife with me this past summer (SA winter) and spent time in Cape Town at either end of the hunt. We had a great time, CP is on of the most beautiful cities I've visited. Started with a B&B on Hout Bay, end of trip at Cape Heritage Hotel near waterfront. Recommend CT highly for trip with wife. Bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I agree that Cape Town is wonderful. However, my wife accompanied me to KZN and we stayed at Falaza. There was everything there for her to do at Falaza, including a Spa. The PH's wife and she went out as well visiting a Zulu village, shopping for curios, ocean whale watching, visiting St. Lucia, going into Richards Bay to shop and see the sights, game viewing, visiting a wild cat sanctuary, etc. etc. etc. So, you wife would not be bored unless she chose to be. Hey, if she really got bored, you could arrange for a dive with the great whites out of Richards Bay. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Cape Town is a must do in Africa. Standing on top of table mountain looking north, the whole history of the place overwhelms you.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote