THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Issues with Travel with Guns?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Issues with Travel with Guns?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just watched a review of a guy, he is a member here, who gave a very poor review of Travel with Guns.

He just got back from Zimbabwe.

There reputation has always been good.

I was going to use them myself for my tip back to Austria.

This review was of piss poor service in not making airlines aware of firearms travel almost costing him taking his rifle to not helping clear firearm import on the other end.

A bunch of other massive screw ups.

If anyone wants to discuss this with me in private pm me.

I have always done the firearms transport to Austria myself.

Anyone use Travel with Guns lately.

Thoughts, Opinions, or Reviews.

Please do not say use camp rifle. Not trying to sound like a jerk, I just know that is an disfavored option, but an option.

Posts: 12212 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We used TWGs in May for our red stag hunt in Argentina. I believe this is the fourth time we used their services. I have nothing but prase for the company.

Posts: 224 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used them in July. I had booked with Lufthansa myself, three days before I was to leave they canceled my flight. I call TWG and they got me on Qatar, notified them of my firearm, got me a reservation in the lounge. Everything in two days, went as smooth as any trip I've taken. I will use them again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both very much.

Posts: 12212 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is from AH and thread currently there on which travel agency to use:
I used TWG earlier this year. Planning on trying either Gracy or Travel Express for the next trip. Nothing bad to say about them, just wasn’t exactly thrilled with response time, customer service, etc. when my flight to JNB was canceled due to fuel shortage. I ended up having to come up with a route around JNB on my own and reading them the flight numbers so they could rebook me after they told me there wasn’t another option. I would have been better off without an agent… that trip was without firearms though.
This was cut and pasted. Not my experience. I've never used them.
Bruce

Posts: 376 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years back, I was in Zim. I had booked with TWG. I had to come back early for some reason or another . Client emergency as I recall.

My wife contacted TWG. They were of no help. Rude to my wife . I got done on sat phone what TWGs said could not be done.

After the treatment of my wife , I am done with them.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you as well. That is the theme of the other report I have heard.

Has anybody pressure tested Gracie

One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Has anybody pressure tested Gracie

I have used Gracy 4 times (3 trips to Zim, and 1 to SA) and been very happy with their service. Shaun knows her stuff, and if your traveling through Johannesburg, they have their own desk right in the SAPS office. Their man in Joburg is Bruce and I think he knows everybody in the airport. Checking guns has always been a breeze when Bruce is there, he gets you in and out without any fuss.

Posts: 796 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to sound like I am moving the goal post, I greatly appreciate your experience with Gracy. Has anyone used Gracy to go to Europe.

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Had problems with Gracy aboutb20 years ago. Can’t remember what the problems were but switch to Barb and Don with international Journeys and haven’t looked back. Think we have used them about 8 or 9 times now.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently used Gracy for a trip to Mongolia. No problems whatsoever, but Mongolia is not Africa.

Posts: 766 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I used TWG for my trip to Zambia in August 22. Zero issues. Steve has always done me right.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Kathi Klimes, who posts here. I have used 3 others previously.
Kathi is the best hands down from my experience.
I have used her services 6+ times.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

I use Shawn Kennedy with Gracy Travel. I have no connection with Gracy other good will. I recommend Shawn to all my clients and so far hunters that have followed Shawn's instructions have been happy.

As was posted Gracy has their own people at ORT that handle everything. Bruce there has been a Godsend to some bewildered travelers and even though I know the ropes I still use Gracy's Meet/Greet service just to avoid hassles. Best money I ever spent.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We used Travel with guns once. The service was below average and Steve changed our tickets for some reason. The result was we received no milage credit with the airline. Steve would not speak to me about it when I approached him at SCI.
We've used Gracy ever since, both to Africa and Alaska. Shawn's service is flawless. TWG was a complete mess.

Posts: 118 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all very kindly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used TWG numerous times, most recently in 2021 and never had any issue or problem whatsoever. They have always been very professional and responsive. I used to use Gracey and they did great as well. Trying to remember why I changed. But I've never had a bad experience with either one. But it may have been that TWG helps me with my Dutch permit when transiting rifles through Amsterdam.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've used TWG numerous times, most recently in 2021 and never had any issue or problem whatsoever. They have always been very professional and responsive. I used to use Gracey and they did great as well. Trying to remember why I changed. But I've never had a bad experience with either one.

+1 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will not use Steve Turner’s TWG again.
TWG had two months to complete our travel details to Zimbabwe. Two days before our departure TWG still did not have our Emirate’s Firearms declaration permits . Fortunately I was able to talk with Emirate’s Air global security directly when I knew TWG was not going to come through with what we hired and paid them to do. Found his employees unprofessional , lacking any sense of urgency and unresponsive. On the bright side Emirate’s were very helpful, professional and friendly.Emirates came through for us and we had our firearm declaration permits within 24 hours. Although several follow up calls to Turner we never heard back from him.

Posts: 734 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used TWG for 4 trips and have never been more than satisfied with their service

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gus, thank you for all responses.

Based on the totality’s of the circumstances (the bad is just too recent and has too many common themes) I will not be using Travel with Guns.

I will do it myself again, or use another provider.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used TWG twice and have been satisfied but my friends had issues this last summer. They will not be using their services in the future they said.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
after a couple dozen times i;m 100% with mark

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Folks,

I use Shawn Kennedy with Gracy Travel. I have no connection with Gracy other good will. I recommend Shawn to all my clients and so far hunters that have followed Shawn's instructions have been happy.

As was posted Gracy has their own people at ORT that handle everything. Bruce there has been a Godsend to some bewildered travelers and even though I know the ropes I still use Gracy's Meet/Greet service just to avoid hassles. Best money I ever spent.

Mark

I honestly recommend travelers use meet and greet agents, especially when traveling with firearms!

Money very well spent.

Funny enough meet and greet services are available in most of the world’s airports.

I understand the US does not allow them to meet travelers before immigration.

We used them traveling to Canada, and they certainly were worth it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Gracy 4 times for Africa and would use them again especially the meet and greet. Bruce is awesome at JNB.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Funny thing about Bruce. I was traveling through Jo'burg years ago and had used a different travel agent. Had an issue with my firearms and Bruce was there and stepped right in and helped straighten it out. I tipped him nicely for the gesture. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used TWG for travel to and from TZ on my recent hunt. Also booked VIP to meet my flight in KJO. Everything was smooth and effortless.

Many people complained about connecting from AA to QA in Dallas. I had absolutely no problems of issues in Tucson (AA) they checked my rifles through to KJO on Qatar (Q class) and the transfer was done without issues.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We’ve used TWG for quite a few trips, prefer using Patrick, very professional and thorough, we had an issue this past June headed to Moz when an employee gave us incorrect info about firearms checked to destination on Qatar (and insisted she was right). Maybe new employee? Anyway, we knew better and resolved it before it was an issue. Used Gracy travel on our first safari years ago and was the biggest cluster fu** we have encountered in 25-30 trips, won’t use them again.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2906 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with Shawn at Gracy!

After flying in from Bulawayo on the late afternoon flight a bit over a week ago, Delta sent a text to my phone that flight 201 was cancelled. Later, I got another text that I was rebooked on KLM through Amsterdam. It took me over an hour to get through passport control only to find my bag missing, after checking with Delta baggage, no luck. I put a call in to Bruce and went to the cop shop, no rifle case either!
Bruce's guy met me and Bruce suggested I get my ticket from KLM while they searched for my luggage, the KLM agent said no ticket without my baggage? Back down to SAPS, Bruce's man new the right security guy an he retrieved my rifles, no roller bag though. Upstairs to KLM with my Tuff-Pak,(I suspected my rifles and ammo were going to be a problem) this time I was told no ticket because I was booked to late.
Time to go to the Delta desk only to find the the next days flight was full, now I'm really having a bad day. One of the gals behind the desk asked me to wait, it turns out a KLM rep. was there, trying to work a plan. A pleasant lady from Delta told me that I could probably get on the KLM flight if I would be willing to leave my rifles, to be expedited to MSP on the next flight. I said yup, I just need a receipt from the new luggage tag. While they were printing the tag my roller bag, with ammo appeared with the fellow from Delta baggage. That got a new tag also.
Bruce's helper, the guy from security and myself with luggage in tow, went back up to KLM,_ like magic I got my seat to Amsterdam!

I left to board the plane and these fellows left with my luggage lock it up overnight. The security guy said he would personally deliver it to Delta the following day.

My bag and rifles showed up at MSP a day after I landed----THANK YOU BRUCE

Posts: 134 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Reminds me why I travel to Africa with just a carryon and no rifles. I’m too old to deal with this idiocy…..

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Glad it turned out OK. Yours is one of many travel snafus cleared up by Bruce and his guys at ORT.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is to make as direct route to your destination as possible.

Avoid multiple airports, and multiple airlines.

This might entail not paying the cheapest price, but would help avoid potential problems.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

This might entail not paying the cheapest price, but would help avoid potential problems.

Excellent advice.

I would only add:

AVOID JOHANNESBURG if at all possible.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TWG did a reasonable job to arrange our travel to and from Spain. As far as help with rifle permit to bring my own firearm I give them a D. For travel arrangements I give them a B+. Hope this will help someone. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree about avoiding Jo'berg. Been a long time since I went through there but the officials clearly wanted a "tip" to do their job and were then very agitated when I pulled out cash and gave it to them. It's supposed to be a secret apparently.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've used TWG exactly one time, so apply whatever weight you wish to this reply. They setup flight arrangements on Qatar Airways for myself and a friend for our recent hunting trip to Uganda. This included reservations in the Al Mourjan lounge (we flew cattle class and bought the entrance to the lounge).

All went smoothly in making the arrangements. This included contacting QA with providing information regarding our weapons. At check-in QA was ready for us and all went well and smoothly.

While we were in Uganda, the news of the Ebola outbreak there that you're probably aware of came out. We had flown out of Houston and were scheduled to return to the US there. The US gov't had other plans. We would now be required to fly into one of 5 airports, none of which was Houston.

With a shaky Wifi connection in our camp, we were able to communicate well enough with Steve Turner at TWG. He got us rescheduled to arrive in Atlanta and then on a flight from there to IAH in Houston. This would've been a much more painful process without his help.

So the impression of my first time experience with TWG is quite positive and I would use them again.

My other experiences with other known travel agencies specializing in helping hunters has been mediocre. The one seemed ok, but felt like I was just one more in the long line of clients. Another that I visited with at DSC came across seeming to be bothered by my questions. And that was at a time the booth had no other potential clients. I walked away with no intent of bothering them again.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I use Kathi Klimes, who posts here. I have used 3 others previously.
Kathi is the best hands down from my experience.
I have used her services 6+ times.

Couldn't agree more!!!

Just got back from Zim on Saturday. Shot a nice buff with my bow.

In August of this year I finally remembered to buy my ticket to go to Zim. I had used Travel Express once and then TWG twice. No major issues with either. Though when I spoke with TWG in Dallas in '21 they tried to talk me out of Emirates and were pushing Qatar (I believe because they no longer are on their booking system). I had a bunch of Emirates miles I wanted to redeem so I didn't bother with TWG and tried calling Travel Express instead and got no answer or call back.

So, I gave Kathi a call and she said she couldn't redeem my Emirates miles and I had to purchase the ticket myself. So I did, thinking no big deal and I'd use her for the rest. She then helped me out with the rest of my items including getting me one of the new (date correct) 4457s.

I asked her after all was said and done, how much do I need to pay her since she wasn't able to purchase the ticket. To my surprise, she said nothing & did all of this without expecting to be reimbursed and said I can send her a check if I wanted, which I did.

Again, even though I had no issues with the others, nothing really stood out regarding their services. The second time I used TWG I also purchased my own ticket but they invoiced me for their services before they got started. But unlike the first time, I only got emails with forms and not the bound pamphlet which I received when they were also my (ticket) agent.

Not only did Kathi help me without the thought of being reimbursed, she was always quite prompt and thorough. I never really had to wait for any answers. She made such an impression upon me that I had decided I would use her in the future even before I knew she had done everything (in essence) for free.

She also has quite a bit of (first hand) knowledge and experience regarding hunting in general (the areas and outfitters). The others do not, and are really just travel agents with links to various governmental regulatory forms.

Can't say enough about Kathi other than give her a call.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On top of that, she hunts.
She "gets it".

Posts: 10371 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Excellent advice.

I would only add:

AVOID JOHANNESBURG if at all possible.

Double ditto the above comments. I fly Turkish, Ethiopian, Qatar, Emirates and however gets me there the most direct route. Avoid J-berg if you have a gun or anything of value in your bags. Use camp guns if you can. Better yet, carry on everything....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have worked with TWG many times and also recommend them to clients. Never had any problem with them. I believe they dont work with clients miles because its quite fiddly!

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote