New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAA or Delta
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which is preferred between SAA and Delta, if you were travelling business class?
Thanks
Jas

Jas Madhavan

Posts: 82 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of John Pomazi
posted Hide Post
I've flown once on SAA and twice on Delta. Prefer Delta for the direct flight. 15 hours compared to 20 on SAA with a stop in Dukar where you have to stay on the plane while they refuel. Prices are usually similar so unless there was a big difference I'll be sticking with Delta. You'll hear horror stories about both as well as positive experiences. I didn't have anything negative happen on either just prefer the shorter flight.

Posts: 19 | Location: Sandy, Oregon | Registered: 26 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
What John said! Delta...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I think the most important consideration is the type aircraft. If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7601 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Jas
I have done it both ways. The Delta with no stop is the only way to go.

I don't know why you won't just fly yourself??? Wink

Posts: 758 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Chirs,
Wasn't that Western Airlines old slogan "....the only way to fly!"

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't think you can improve on business class on Delta from ATL_JHB, reclining seats,etc etc.

Posts: 185 | Location: northern Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
My last two trips to Jo Berg were on SAA. Long flights, but I thought their airline food was ok, and I survived.

This past week I booked through Shawn at Gracy. Delta is several hours shorter (non-stop from Atlanta), and was $100 cheaper.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
flown both in both business( business elite with Delta) and SAA in first class. i would swim to Africa before i would fly SAA again( long, disgusting story).

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13263 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is SAA-SAL gone that down ?

in the 80s and beginning of 90s Blue Diamond class was really on the top notch ...

but it was in their 747s ...

all the best.

Posts: 1805 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Done both. SAA x3 and Delta x4. For me, Delta wins hands down.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you stop in Dakar for refueling, you get the bonus of being sprayed thru out the cabin by their people.

After two trips with SAA, I am going Delta this April.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll need a month off to fly hunt and return in the old girl, although that is definitely on my bucket list.
Tickets booked on Delta. Its all good.

Jas

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Lozano:
Jas
I have done it both ways. The Delta with no stop is the only way to go.

I don't know why you won't just fly yourself??? Wink

Jas Madhavan

Posts: 82 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
When you stop in Dakar for refueling, you get the bonus of being sprayed thru out the cabin by their people.

For those of us clueless as to what you meant by that, could you further explain?

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7MMNut:
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

For those of us clueless as to what you meant by that, could you further explain?

SAA "fumigates" the cabin with some type of disinfectant / air freshening spray before you take off from several African airports. I've experienced this in Dakar, JNB, and HRE. It is dreadful.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the cabin sprayed in Dakar held my jacket over my face for 45 seconds no big deal.

It is apparently some kind of World Health Orginization thing.

The SAA flight crew was simply the best and most courteous and helpful flight crew I have ever encountered in 25 years of flying.

Food was great. Comparativly american airlien food sucks.

Now I prefer United/SAa because I am in Denver and all my miles are United so I might be a little biased.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1115 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Third trip coming up with SAA and First/Business class. A Million Miler/1K with UAL so locked with the Star Alliance. Service, food and attendants top notch. Handling of my rifles, checked baggage and carry on etc no issues. As Hasher says the cabin "Spray" no big deal and happens when you ready to depart Dakar back to the States.

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have flown on SAA 5 times, Delta 0 times. Can't compare but the flight in business class on SAA is actually first class as they only have economy and business/first. Service has always been excellent. The flight attendants are very polite and helpful. I won't change.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got "bug sprayed" on Delta also. That was when they stopped in Dakar for re-fuling though......

Posts: 41889 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Delta hands down, the "bug spray" on SAA made me want to gag. I didn't see it coming and got a good lung full. I was pissed!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is Delta still loosing bags on the transfer to SAA Harare? My bags have always made it when I flew SAA. A little bug spray shouldn't bother a elephant hunter.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
That's not bug spray that is to kill body odor from those who don't use antipersperiant.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I'm giving Emitates an opportunity to convince me they are as good as I've heard. I've booked them into JNB from SFO in August. Their new HRE flight only flies 5 days per week and, of course, the 2 days they don't are what I needed. So it will be SAA up to HRE from JNB, which means dealing with the ignorant, indifferent but oh so bribable SAA agents upon return.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They, with Qatar Air, are just what you have heard, absolutely top tier. I have flown both a bunch along with many others, they are one top. It's also nice that the layover in Dubai for the JNB flight is only 2 hours.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
My layover will be 9 hours, but Emirates will provide hotel & meals with transfers, all complimentary, if over 6 hours (First & Business0 or 8 hours (Coach). Because I have heard such glowing reports, I decided to try their Coach class.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me there is a difference in the equipment, as 'judge" said basically the Boeing is a superior aircraft. If you can miss the refueling stop in Dakur by going Delta, you miss the bug spraying and save several hours of butt seat time. The air Bus isn't called the airbeast for no reason, i have been on SAA with it so hot you almost thought you were chasing elephant and so cold I had the shakes with toilets over flowing and out of order, etc. Never had an issue with their staff. Speaking of the Airbeast,, Air Namibia flies them as well and this last trip from Frankfurt to Windhoek,, the seats were worn out, the seats in front of you still had an ash tray and the safety briefing included "extinguish" all smokeing materials if the air masks are deployed,, that old bird shook, groaned, rattled, bucked and rocked,,I just said a little prayer to safely get me back on the ground. I think Moses was its first pilot....Pay your money, take your chance,,, Africa still worth it,,

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Delta now for sure! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Stephen Goldfinch
posted Hide Post
In comparing the two, flying through ATL is my biggest consideration. I HATE ATL and will avoid it at all costs. I have never had a clean, crisp, on-time departure out of ATL. Bags lost, delayed, or all together cancelled. When you're rushing to Africa for a 14 day trip and miss 2 due to Delta's disorganization in ATL....that's enough to sell me on SAA from now on. 5 trips with SAA after the last of many Delta incidents. It would take some serious disappointment for me to go back to Delta.

"Sleep When You're Dead!"

One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
Here are some horror stories with SAA , we fly every year to the USA and have done so for 18 years , we have NEVER received a free flight through the VOYAGER scam program , this last year qualified for the so called free companion tickets due to considerable support and money , what a scam , in order to qualify for the class ticket for the FREE companion ticket I had to purchase the classic ticket which cost the same as 2 regular any day tickets , plus you then pay for the tax !!!! , when asked how can they call it a free ticket if it's the same price as 2 regular tickets was told that is just the way it is.
In 18 years of flying they have lost luggage on over 75% of the flights , with the a record three years in a row now , this time we received our luggage three days after arriving in the USA , so you add in the costs of all new clothes and essentials and the costs escalates drastically . When you enquire or write to customer services they simply don't reply you can write as much. You like they simply don't reply. On this last return flight my wife Amber who has just undergone surgery on her leg had a surgeons note recommending her leg be elevated as much as possible , on check in we showed note and were assured they would try keep seat next to her open , at Dakar the flight Stewart told her the seat next to her was to be taken , Amber went through the process with her and was informed that it didmnot show on her boarding pass so tough luck , the joke was there were even empty rows that people had filled up to sleep in but they simply did not care.
SAA is without doubt the worst airline to travel to Africa on and the odd person who does not get their luggage lost or have ashocking trip is the exception , the vast majority of flyers have horrific tales to tell , stolen luggage is not option it's a almost dead certain, and don't expect any curteous assistance . The majority of people commenting on this thread fly Delta - it's for a reason.

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Dang Graeme............and we are coming SAA !! I had not heard the horror stories so much before we booked. Pray for us - and I hope you have a few extra .416 Rigby shells if mine gets poached. Soon now..........

Posts: 503 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BC , sorry mate , suggest you don't check luggage all the way through to Maun but collect in JHB and then ensure your luggage is following you, recheck to Maun same going back . It was great seeing you in lost wages and Shane sends a massive thank you for the leather man , not a person he has not shown , his 5 year old sister has already cut herself ( tiny tiny cut ) ( lesson learning one ) , he keeps the knife in the box with the photos and keeps asking when are you guys arriving to hunt !!!! See you soon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just went to my email sent box - the email to SAAcustomerservice@flysaa.com was sent on the 12 th February and I have yet to receive acknowledgement or reply , that's the service you can look forward to !!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't think that SAA was that bad. I chose SAA over Delta because SAA had 2 seats together on the sides and Delta didn't. No problems with baggage and the bug spray didn't bother me. I thought the service was on par with coach on an American carrier.

Sitting next to a friend for 18 hours is okay but I wouldn't want to sit next to a stranger for that long.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just priced business class on Delta for a potential trip to Botswana. I was shocked. The price has skyrocketed to around $13,000. I think I paid about $7,000 last year.

SAA and the Air Botswana leg is about $7,900. SAA business class and AB is coach.

Posts: 12025 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coach the entire way on Delta plus the Air Botswana flight are north of $4,000. Things have changed suddenly it appears.

Posts: 12025 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, You must be traveling peak season. We are booked to fly Delta and SAA in May to Namibia. $2200 round trip including "Economy Comfort" both ways.

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
as stated earlier in this post, i would swim to Africa before i would fly SAA( SORRY ASS AIRLINE!)

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13263 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this pains me, but I have to agree with jdollar.

You guys forgot to tell him about getting fumigated on the plane whilst being refueled in Dakar.

From Boise: here to SLC, one hour and thirty-nine minute flight, one hour layover, then five hours to Atlanta. Three hour layover there, enough time to catch a cab and have dinner at a good restaurant. Then just fourteen hours (+/-) straight thru to Jo-berg.

My wife likes the red with gold striped blankets SAA gives out, don't know what color Delta has for me.

Rich

I booked with Steve Turner (travelswithguns) and it was $1802 plus his $100 booking fees.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It ends up that we are going business class using frequent flyer points.

I have been many times. This is by FAR the highest costs I have ever seen.

Out of curiosity, when are you guys going?

The Botswana trip for us in August. I have yet to work on the flight for my October trip to Zim yet.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I have been many times. This is by FAR the highest costs I have ever seen.

We discovered that the fares are generally good now, but the fuel surcharges are equal to or greater than the fare. Our June group was just under $3000 per pax HSV to HRE, on Delta and SAA in economy comfort. The most we've ever paid.

Of course, the JNB to HRE leg is one of the most expensive fares in the world, per mile, at $400-$500.

I remember the 90s when it was $999 from Miami to JNB and a buffalo hunt was 6k, all in.

Will J. Parks, III