Find
Notify
Tools

Delta's lie (with update)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Last year on a couple of threads I stated what Gracy had told me about the incredible bad customer service that their clients had expereinced with Delta. At that time my post was not well received but perhaps now folks will pay a litte closer attention to who they choose. We have options in our travel to Africa and there is no reason to use an airline that is consistently problematic.

Mark - You are 100% right here! Problem is, they all seem to be problematic, all the time.

I am scheduled on Delta, leaving Denver to Joberg on April 6th, then onto Harare, returning April 25th on the same flight as the Judge. This whole thread has me pissed off.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Aaron:

In April, the temps at JNB may be cool enough to let them load up the airplane to the gills... and still stagger off... and maybe still get to ATL.

If you don't make it, I'll be glad to take your Rolex. Just send it to me for safekeeping before you go. Eeker

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you don't make it, I'll be glad to take your Rolex. Just send it to me for safekeeping before you go

Damn! That's why this forum is so great! True friends!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
United flies to Jo'berg also.

Although they have their customer service fubars also. I'm Premier Executive on United and fly about 75K miles per year. I was stranded in Denver Thursday when they delayed the flight from Orlando that I was on and caused me to miss my flight to Bakersfield. The best they could do for me was a flight the next day at 9:30 AM to Los Angeles with a connector to Bakersfield arrivng at 2 PM. Unfortunately I had to be at a wedding at 3PM on Friday so that didn't work.

I told them this wouldn't work and to get me to any airport within 150 miles of Bakersfield that night. They said that they couldn't do it but I got on my Droid and found a flight to Fresno that arived there at 10:30 PM and made them book me on it. I arranged a rental car in Fresno and was home at 12:30 that night.

I found this on my account statement today:

Mar 19, 2010 CUSTOMER RELATIONS BONUS MILES 9,000
I am pretty sure United does NOT fly to Joburg. their partner, SAA flies to Joburg on a codeshare flight but the actual plane, crew, etc is still SAA. SAME BULLSHIT-DIFFERENT DAY. just because United's website shows a United flight number does not mean you are flying United. i may be wrong(wouldn't be the first time) but i don't think so.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Last year on a couple of threads I stated what Gracy had told me about the incredible bad customer service that their clients had expereinced with Delta. At that time my post was not well received but perhaps now folks will pay a litte closer attention to who they choose. We have options in our travel to Africa and there is no reason to use an airline that is consistently problematic.

Mark

+1 Gracy would not put me on Delta for June 2009 travel. They said the schedule and service were too unreliable. So we fly SAA and arrive in Joberg 5 hours late and the bags miss the connect to Harare.

Moral: Neither SAA nor Delta is the undisputed worst carrier to fly to Africa. They both have their claims to shame as well as their claims to fame. Unless you want to go through Europe, Delta and SAA are the only (bad) show in town.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While Judge G's issue would certainly piss me off if it had happened to me, I think the reality is that this could happen with any airline. If one is in the wrong place at the wrong time, there will be a problem, especially when one is in a location where there is a limited number of flights every day. If there is a problem, an overnight stay is going to be required.

Personally, I will take a Delta flight manned & maintained by an American personnel over ANY Africa airline.

My flights on Delta to the RSA were flawless last year. Not even the slightest problem. Fantastic service. I just booked my flights for my upcoming hunt in Zim with Delta. I have also just booked for trips to Brazil & Argentina. I am not going to worry about it.

I do seem to recall some threads posted by someone in the know about SAA's safety issues.

Posts: 11975 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
While Judge G's issue would certainly piss me off if it had happened to me, I think the reality is that this could happen with any airline. If one is in the wrong place at the wrong time, there will be a problem, especially when one is in a location where there is a limited number of flights every day. If there is a problem, an overnight stay is going to be required.

Personally, I will take a Delta flight manned & maintained by an American personnel over ANY Africa airline.

My flights on Delta to the RSA were flawless last year. Not even the slightest problem. Fantastic service. I just booked my flights for my upcoming hunt in Zim with Delta. I have also just booked for trips to Brazil & Argentina. I am not going to worry about it.

I do seem to recall some threads posted by someone in the know about SAA's safety issues.

I might agree with you if:
1. Safety wasn't a real issue
2. It had not happened to me two days in a row and to another poster here a day or two subsequent.
3. If Delta had acknowledged the reason for the screw ups instead of attributing it to weather (which allows them a cheaper alternative to its customers) and..
4. Delta had lived up to its contractual obligations for lodging, etc.

I just received confirmation that the FAA is making a formal inquiry as to the safety issues of overloading the plane, rolling the dice on weather, etc. btw.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge, you were certainly wronged and placed in danger. I am not defending Delta.

Delta certainly should have lived up to their contractual obligations. NO doubt.

My point is that if Delta is doing this, what do you think SAA is doing that is a safety issue? I am will to bet it is worse than Delta.

Posts: 11975 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
Aaron:

In April, the temps at JNB may be cool enough to let them load up the airplane to the gills... and still stagger off... and maybe still get to ATL.

If you don't make it, I'll be glad to take your Rolex. Just send it to me for safekeeping before you go. Eeker

Judge - "Maybe stagger off, and maybe make it to ATL". Man, nothing like confidence. I will be sure and include you in the will I am doing now.

I forwarded your post, and filed a complaint of my own to Delta regarding your concerns. The response I got was so pathetic, I just deleted it. Of course, it was a form letter response.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the elephant.

Posts: 97 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just flew SAA to VFA. They took ALL the bags off at IAD, promised they would be on the next plane. Mine arrived 2 days and 5 days later. This was because the onboard computer thought there was a fire in the cargo hold. On the way back, the onboard electronics shut down the flushing of all toilets on the left hand side of the plane. Don't know whether to blame SAA or Airbus, but I prefer not to stop in Dakar so I am flying DL in future ... flew them 2x last year without incident.

And I won't be flying anybody during the world cup. That's a mess of gigantic proportions waiting to happen.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote