New
Find
Notify
Tools

Train in Zim
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone taken the train from Bulawayo to Vic Falls? What were you experiences? Can you take guns on train?

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
trust me - you don't want to do that

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did it twice in the mid 90's and it was good the first time but had deteriorated the second time. I would not do it today, but the very first time it was a great experience. Sadly Zim infrastructure and society is in turmoil. Not everything is bad, but a good deal of what was once a wonderful place is now lost. When/if Zim gets a true democratic leader this will be a great place again, but don't hold your breath.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi there,

I took the train from Vic Falls to Bulawayo last year. It's certainly an experience but well worth it. The train itself was an old Rolls Royce which had seen better days.

It took around 12 hours from memory while it could be done in a car in around 5 or less. The train was continuously breaking down.

I was in first class seating which you will laugh at when you see. $5 if my memory serves.

One highlight was during a breakdown just outside of Hwange town. I saw a lioness walk into an old abandoned rail building at the side of the tracks with a cub in her mouth. Shows you just how much infrastructure has receded.

You can get sudza and gravy on board for a buck.

It's an exercise in nostalgia if nothing else.

Posts: 115 | Location: London | Registered: 06 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go by car!

Posts: 116 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 12 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Wise:
Hi there,

I took the train from Vic Falls to Bulawayo last year. It's certainly an experience but well worth it. The train itself was an old Rolls Royce which had seen better days.

It took around 12 hours from memory while it could be done in a car in around 5 or less. The train was continuously breaking down.

I was in first class seating which you will laugh at when you see. $5 if my memory serves.

One highlight was during a breakdown just outside of Hwange town. I saw a lioness walk into an old abandoned rail building at the side of the tracks with a cub in her mouth. Shows you just how much infrastructure has receded.

You can get sudza and gravy on board for a buck.

It's an exercise in nostalgia if nothing else.

Whatsa "sudza"??

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Sadza is stiff maize meal porridge, the staple diet here...As good as the relish it is served with...

I traveled by train from Mutare to Harare a couple months ago, just for the experience which I certainly had. No worries, no problems but like everyone else says just so run down now. I can't actually see how these Zim trains are staying on the tracks...

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
I just LONG to take the train in VICTORIA FALLS with SANDRO again !!! Forget the other one!!
Oh, to leisurely sip a beverage.....visit with that sophsicated Italian.....visit with the other guests......and finally - DINE, SITTING OVER THE VIC FALL BRIDGE WITH THE VIEW UP OR DOWN STREAM. COME ON MAN......I AM KILLIN' MYSELF JUST THINKING ABOUT IT.

Tell Sandro I'm coming......and bringing my girls also. That should make his new and improved ticker jump! Tell him I want to sip expresso with an old friend once again.

Thanks, Brennan

Posts: 502 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
tu2 Now that's a train!

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote