New
Find
Notify
Tools

Atlanta-Jo-burg with Delta
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just returned from RSA via Delta, and very pleased with the service. While the coach seats were not comfortable by any means, it was certainly tolerable. All were on time, and the food was adequate. After experiencing Africa for the first time, I'd fly again, even if it were on a bed of nails! Bruce, with Gracy travel was great at OR Tambo Airport, as was Maxwell with Air 2000. Their SAPS permit service was fantastic. I doubt we spent no more than 10 minutes getting a rifle permit. Great experience all around.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just returned via SA from Johannesburg. My rifle case didn't make it to Dulles, or at least not to the correct baggage area. SA shipped it to me by truck to Seattle, and expects me to pay the $145 bill. Think I'll check out Delta next time.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've flown it once on SAA and once on Delta.

Coach isn't so bad. Sit on an aisle, eat dinner, watch a movie, and take a sleeping pill when they land in Dakar.

I wish they would figure out how to get to J'burg without landing at Dakar. Counting the slowing down and regaining altitude, landing, takeoff, searching the plane, etc., they waste about three hours.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Indy,

The SAA flight from Dulles [IAD] to Johannesburg[JNB] is Non-Stop during all but the hottest days in Washington. [I think something like June 1 - August 15 +/-].
However, the return trip always has that stopover in Dakkar.

I believe both of Deltas flights, to JNB and to Cape Town stop there both ways as well.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indy:
I've flown it once on SAA and once on Delta.

Coach isn't so bad. Sit on an aisle, eat dinner, watch a movie, and take a sleeping pill when they land in Dakar.

I wish they would figure out how to get to J'burg without landing at Dakar. Counting the slowing down and regaining altitude, landing, takeoff, searching the plane, etc., they waste about three hours.

I remember back when it was non stop from ATL to JNB on the 747. Up in the hump with only 30 or so seats and a little extra leg room was a great trip.

For some reason I think I remember a fuel stop in Isla Del Sol on return.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO it's a helluva lot better to fly to Frankfurt or some other Euro hub and then on to SA or Namibia. I'd rather fly two more or less 10 hour flts than have to endure one 19 hour one myself. Kind of like driving, 600 miles in a day is easy, 1000 begins to wear on you, 10 hours in a plane is pretty easy, 19 is a real strain for me.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish they would figure out how to get to J'burg without landing at Dakar.

Simple, but expensive. Dump those 767-300ER's and buy 747-400's. But they won't. I think the 767-400ER will do it non stop, also.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
The new Boeing 787(7E7) that has been ordered for delivery in 2009 and 2010 should be a non-stop trip both ways.

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KUDUBULL:
The new Boeing 787(7E7) that has been pordered for delivery in 2009 and 2010 should be a non-stop trip both ways.

Yeah, it should, but I think the Boeing strike is still underway and several customers, a couple that I have been indirectly dealing with, have been told to expect substantial delivery delays on the 787.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
quote:
I wish they would figure out how to get to J'burg without landing at Dakar.

Simple, but expensive. Dump those 767-300ER's and buy 747-400's. But they won't. I think the 767-400ER will do it non stop, also.
i just flew this route and i am sure the plane was a 767-400ER-still stopped in Dakar both ways.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
quote:
Originally posted by KUDUBULL:
The new Boeing 787(7E7) that has been pordered for delivery in 2009 and 2010 should be a non-stop trip both ways.

Yeah, it should, but I think the Boeing strike is still underway and several customers, a couple that I have been indirectly dealing with, have been told to expect substantial delivery delays on the 787.

Well that just makes more sense after this economic year!!!!!!!
CRYBABY

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flew Delta in July to JHB. It was the 767-400. Great flight, good food, nice attendants. If I was going to do it again, it would be Delta all the way.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When Delta first anounced servioce to SA, they said it would be with the 777. The SA Gov't would not allow Delta to use the 777 and only gave permission to use the 767. A friend sent a document from the SA fov't and Delta detailing the Agreement. If I can find it I will post a copy.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
IMO it's a helluva lot better to fly to Frankfurt or some other Euro hub and then on to SA or Namibia. I'd rather fly two more or less 10 hour flts than have to endure one 19 hour one myself. Kind of like driving, 600 miles in a day is easy, 1000 begins to wear on you, 10 hours in a plane is pretty easy, 19 is a real strain for me.

I couldn't agree more. I've made the non stop twice, once from Atlanta & once from Miami. The 747 is definetly a better flight bu they both suck in coach.
Just last month I flew to Namibia via Frankfurt & it's much easier to go 10+10 w/ a good long break in between. As to flying thru Dulles & loosing bags, I understand it happens more than it should. Changing carriers won't help.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flew Delta in June, plane broke down in Dakar
Crew told us Delta were taking delivery in Nov. of new 777 They said they would be flying non stop from Atlanta to J-burg in Nov. Have not checked just repeating what they said.
I just hope its true.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:
Crew told us Delta were taking delivery in Nov. of new 777 They said they would be flying non stop from Atlanta to J-burg in Nov. Have not checked just repeating what they said.
I just hope its true.

That would be great, I believe that was Deltas intention when they first announced service, If you google it you will see Delta said they would be using 777. The document I saw, it was posted on Flyertalk, said SAA and the SA Gov't would not allow the 777 to fly nonstop to from the US to SA. I am sure they do not want the competition.

SA Gov't even wanted delta to name the exact aircraft that would be flying, but Delta wanted the option to fly any of the 767's in their fleet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:
I just hope its true.

That would be awesome. We flew it in Sept. The 2 hour stop in Dakar is a pain.

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
I just returned via SA from Johannesburg. My rifle case didn't make it to Dulles, or at least not to the correct baggage area. SA shipped it to me by truck to Seattle, and expects me to pay the $145 bill. Think I'll check out Delta next time.

I flew Delta to Windhoek via Frankfurt in May and had a similar debacle. Delta charged me $170.00 in freight charges after losing my gun case. After several weeks of seemingly endless phone calls I finally got a refund.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
on top of landing half way through the flight and being rousted out of your seat by Senegal Security for a totally meaningless check, the in-seat video system wasn't working. 2weeks later, same seat(probably same plane), video system STILL wasn't working. if Delta maintenance can't fix a problem in 2 weeks, what else can't they fix? when flying business elite, you would think they could at least get their movie system going. no wonder they are in financial trouble.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Africa: Delta will expand its industry-leading position in Africa with new flights between Atlanta and Nairobi, Kenya1 and Cape Town, South Africa1,5 (via Dakar, Senegal); between Atlanta and Monrovia, Liberia1; Abuja, Nigeria1; Luanda, Angola1; and Malabo, Equatorial Guinea1 (all via Sal Island, Cape Verde); and between New York-JFK and Lagos, Nigeria1. Delta also will introduce its first daily nonstop service to South Africa with flights between Atlanta and Johannesburg1,2

Looks like Delta will start flying non stop finally in June of 09. I was reading using Northwest 747 will free up 777 for other routes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Non Stop in a 747 might get me back on Delta!

Even if the connection/internal flights are more expensive!

[Now, if they would just accept my United miles!]

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Delta site says 777

One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tradewinds:
Delta site says 777

Tradewinds, did you also notice the flight time? Its a Non Stop from ATL to JNB at only 15hrs and 5minutes!!! Not sure if the triple7 is faster than the A340 or 747, but it sure seems like it.

Also, it look slike Delta is going to be installing lie flat seats in some of the long haul Biz class 777's. I hope it is on the route to Joberg!

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if you can enter RSA through Cape Town with firearms?
I had thought only through JNB but maybe that was because SAA stopped the direct flights to Cape Town from here .
Even with a stop in Dakar I'd prefer the CPT location, much easier to navigate! Esp. to the Eastern Cape.

Les

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old route from Miami direct into Cape Town on the 747 ran about fifteen hours and at least at that time firearms were not a problem.

Used to have tribal dancers in the terminal to welcome international flights. Does any one else remember these "Good ole days".

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the 747 from Atl was 18 hours. I believe the 747 is a little faster.

I left Cape Town with guns but arrived in joburg.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eyedoc, IF I remember correct, my flight from Miami to Cape Town was 12 1/2 hours. Houston to Miami about 3 hours and change. Man, was that the good old days! And to top it off, it was on a 747, got the upstairs seats, plenty leg room, private bar with booze within spitting distance.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the front row on the back section up top on two trips.No one in front of you for six feet.It was definitely a step back to the airbus and stops in Sal Islands, Cape Verde, Senegal,etc.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
In the "old days" when American Airlines was the code share partner with SAA, there was an AA flight from S.F. to Miami and about 90 minutes later the SAA departed non-stop for JNB or Capetown. Equipment was the wonderful Boeing 747, one of the most comfortable planes ever designed. The return was also non-stop. SAA customer service was great and you were treated like a king in Business Class.

When SAA changed U.S. partners, to Delta, Miami was cancelled and Atlanta was put in its place as a POE. Things still went pretty well but the service started to suffer on SAA. Then Delta/SAA went to the "new" Air Bus aircraft and complaints went through the roof - cramped economy seats w/leg obstructions, mandatory stops going and coming, attitude from flight attendants, etc. It was so bad that Delta re-instated 747 from D.C. and all knowledgeable African hands booked through D.C.

My last safari found me booking Virgin Atlantic through London with an 8 hour lay-over.

I encourage all safari hunters to explore all available air service, paying attention to routing, equipment and seat pitch.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pig Farmer
posted Hide Post
"DELTA Air Lines has announced that it will replace its current flight from Johannesburg to Atlanta via Dakar with a daily non-stop service. "With the nonstop service from Johannesburg to Atlanta we will have less transfer options in Dakar, however, our Cape Town service will still transit Dakar and as we expand our African network and points served we will review other options for these passengers," says Jimmy Eichelgruen, director - sales Africa, Middle East and India

The airline is upgrading the aircraft used on the route and plans to operate the new non-stop service with a B777-200LR aircraft, effective June 2, 2009. The B77-200LR features a two-class service with 43 BusinessElite seats and 233 economy seats. "We are very pleased with the performance of our South Africa services. The fact that we are introducing the only nonstop service from South Africa to the USA with our state of the art B777LR aircraft with increased seat capacity of 276 seats, of which 43 are in BusinessElite with 180 degree full flatbed seats, illustrates the success we have had on this route and our commitment to the South African market," added Eichelgruen. The announcement forms part of a major global expansion announced by the new Delta.

"The Johannesburg route is a very important one for Delta. We've experienced consistently high load factors in the 80s. We're upgrading our product to meet the demands of our customers flying from South Africa. Utilising our newest aircraft, the Boeing 777, will allow passengers and cargo to reach their final destination even faster and our 180 degree full flat product in BusinessElite will ensure business passengers arrive well-rested for their meetings in the U.S. and beyond," says Frank Jahangir, Delta's vice president of sales for Europe, Middle East and Africa. "Our existing service is proving popular for both business and leisure passengers, with customers flying to Atlanta having a wide choice of around 150 convenient onward destinations throughout the United States, Latin America and the Caribbean. The most popular U.S. destinations with passengers include Washington D.C., San Francisco, Atlanta, Boston and Chicago," says Margaret Copeland, commercial manager of South Africa."

According to Delta's website, Atlanta to Johannesburg is 15 hours 5 minutes over, leaving Atlanta at 10:00 PM and arriving in Johannesburg at 7:05 PM. The return flight is 16 hours 15 minutes (damn jet stream), leaving Johannesburg at 9:05 PM and gets into Atlanta at 7:30 AM the next day. The flights appear to be seven days a week.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods." -- H. L. Mencken

Posts: 25 | Location: Santa Rosa, California USA | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Shikaar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHowell:
Does anyone know if you can enter RSA through Cape Town with firearms?
I had thought only through JNB but maybe that was because SAA stopped the direct flights to Cape Town from here .
Even with a stop in Dakar I'd prefer the CPT location, much easier to navigate! Esp. to the Eastern Cape.

Les

Les,
I have flow to Capetown with rifles, it was no problem.

Jason

Posts: 16 | Location: TX, PA, UT, JBURG | Registered: 07 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
Just booked 2 tickets from LAX to JNB. $2200 each.
No stop in Dakar. Saved 4 hrs time each way.
Going July 31 for 10 days
Delta 777-400
Probably could have messed around for another 2 weeks trying to save $16. Not worth it.
I know there are guys that make the same flight and get it for $89 and a Wal-Mart tee shirt, but it never seems to be reality.
My second trip. My friend's first.
Counting the days already.
Trophyman

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear Delta will be using the B777 and not NWA's 747 now that they've been purchased by Delta. I flew on NWA 747's twice and these things were beat up, rickety old planes that should've been taken out of service. Seat cushion foam missing, torn up upholstery, my neighbors tray wouldnt stay locked. 8 hour flight from St Paul to A-dam was long and miserable on that plane. Even the ancient DC10's were usually in better shape.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote