New
Find
Notify
Tools

upgrades?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After making several trips over in cattle class, I would like some guidance in upgrading. I am not a road warrior, my safaris are about the only flying I do. I won't pay the outrageous price for business class. Somehow, the miles I've racked up on SAA don't apply, as they were ticketed through their American partner, which I believe is now United. I may go Delta next time for that reason.

Can any more experienced travelers suggest when, and how, some of you manage to score cheap upgrades? Are there tricks I am missing?

When I go to Africa, my wife usually accompanies. The additional expense of two regularly priced business class tickets would pay for, say, the trophy fee on a bull elephant!

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marty,

I agree that the average hunter can't afford to pay out of pocket for business class. I've been able to travel business or first by using my miles for most trips. The only trick to that is getting the card that gives you miles for the the airlines you need to use and use the card for absolutely EVERYTHING. Finally know when the mileage seats will be available and stay on the airline every day until you get the seats.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12915 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 300,000 miles on Delta and could not get an upgrade when booking My August hunt, last January.
Business was over $10,000 and coach was $2400 at that time.
If you know how to get up grades, I'd like to know.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
You need to be willing to book aboout 11 months out, be extremely diligent and extremely flexible. Looking at Delta's award calandar between ATL and JNB, there are very, very few options to book at the 140,000 mile class for next spring (and I bet there will be only one seat per flight at that rate) and limited options at the 195,000 mile class.

Don't think you can buy a cheap coach class ticket and use miles to upgrade. You have to purchase a particular fare class (I can't remember which it is) and it costs roughly 2+ times what a deeply discounted coach seat costs.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
You need to be willing to book aboout 11 months out, be extremely diligent and extremely flexible. Looking at Delta's award calandar between ATL and JNB, there are very, very few options to book at the 140,000 mile class for next spring (and I bet there will be only one seat per flight at that rate) and limited options at the 195,000 mile class.

Don't think you can buy a cheap coach class ticket and use miles to upgrade. You have to purchase a particular fare class (I can't remember which it is) and it costs roughly 2+ times what a deeply discounted coach seat costs.

As far as Delta is concerned you are absolutely correct. In order to upgrade (using miles or system wide upgrade) an economy class ticket it must be a Y, B. or M fare. Those aren't exactly cheap when you are talking ATL to JNB. Mileage tickets vary but sometimes when I look at the cost I can't pull the trigger. Last year I was getting tickets to Bonaire for 50K in miles and the tickets were $1050. Delta wanted 180K miles for economy to JNB and I paid $1465 for the ticket. I think the business class was 380k miles. I spend way too much time in airplanes but sometimes the better seats just aren't worth it.

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
United and the Star alliance has just more than doubled the amount of miles it takes to fly business or first class. It used to take 120,000 miles to fly business, now it is 280,000 miles to fly business(and there may be an upgrade penalty for that). Fortunately, for me, I use my card about 400,000 miles per year and it has worked out for me 4 years in a row. It is getting harder and harder to use the miles.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Don, we were sitting in front of you on the Delta flight last month, good to meet and talk with you. How did it go. Mr. Spots cooperate? We had a good trip, 63" Kudu, 18" common reedbuck, and two 29" Nyala amongst others. Hope your trip went well.

Darrell

Posts: 24 | Location: friendswood texas | Registered: 01 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No luck with the leopard. I'm already planning on going back again next year. That is one hell of a Kudu you took. Good job.

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.