THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    gun transfers through Johannesburg to Zimbabwe

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

gun transfers through Johannesburg to Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For an August buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe I plan to fly Atlanta-Johannesburg, overnight in Johannesburg at one of the guest houses, then fly the next day from Johannesburg to Bulawayo. I'm assuming that I'll need to fill out the South African SAPS form and deal with that office at the Johannesburg airport upon arrival in order to retrieve my gun case and take it with me to the guest house, then return the next day and check the gun case on the SAA flight from Johannesburg to Bulawayo. On the return trip I'll fly Bulawayo-Johannesburg, be at the airport for about 6 hours, then fly on that same evening from Johannesburg to Atlanta.

Can anyone with experience tell me what the logistics of doing all of this will involve? For example, will I need to deal with the SAPS form and office a second time in order to retrieve the gun case from SAA upon arrival back in Johannesburg on the return trip, and then move the guns from there to the Delta counter in order to check them onto the return flight back to the US?

Any guidance on how to deal with all of this, or suggestions about information sources that will help me sort the process out, will be much appreciated!

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR. There is a wealth of info from experienced african hands here, along with some misinformation by some wannabes, but in your business you're used to that, so filter replies accordingly.

Best option is to get the counter agent in Bulawayo to book your luggage, including firearms case, direct to Atlanta. You can sometimes convince them to do this, even if you did not expect to be able to do so.

Second option is to enter JNB via the transit doorway. You will collect your luggage and re-book it onto your ongoing USA flight.

With only a six hour layover there should be no reason to claim your luggage other than via the transit gate. It only means additional firearms inspections and the possibility of someone to screw with you - JNB is famous for this.

You should consider a meet & greet/firearms clearance package in JNB. Some guesthouses will provide this service for a fee. I've used both Afton House and Africa Sky and will use Africa Sky again in August if an overnight in JNB is required, and it's looking like it will be. Africa Sky posts here on AR.

africasky@mweb.co.za

Best of luck with your safari. CHEERS! beer

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
+1

You'll claim it and clear it in JNB. You should not have to claim and clear going back through JNB on the way home.

The money spent to have a service clear your guns and walk you around upon your arrival in JNB is worth every penny. After seven safaris, I use them every single time. Money well spent IMO.

Have fun in Zim.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
+1

You'll claim it and clear it in JNB. You should not have to claim and clear going back through JNB on the way home.

The money spent to have a service clear your guns and walk you around upon your arrival in JNB is worth every penny. After seven safaris, I use them every single time. Money well spent IMO.

Have fun in Zim.

Who did you use?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going and spending the night, I would recommend Afton Guest House. They will go and secure your SA Permits and do a meet and greet at the airport. Coming home, just check your guns and bags through to the states. You will not have to claim them in Joberg and they should meet you at your final destination. take out firearms insurance just to be on the safe side. I have had excellent results with them. Annelise and Louise are very nice people.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plus One! for Afton House. George has the drill down pat.

I used them in April of 2010, and will be doing so again this coming April.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I use African Sky - and here is their deal for 2012. Airport pickup, gun permit assistance, room, dinner, breakfast, soft drinks and beer all for $265. I think with the gun permits, the quality of their food, and BEER, it is a super deal. Non-hunters are $120.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Previous posters have mentioned that what they recommend depends on how much time you have in Joburg. When I went in late Sep I arrived in Joburg about 6 p.m. and flew out the next morning at about 10:30. Posters said that wasn't really enough time to appreciate Afton House, so they recommended the hotel attached to the airport. I used Gracy Travel and their meet and greet, and as those above stated they are worth every penny and then some. Gracy's folks met me off the plane in the secure area (my first trip and traveling alone), physically helped me find my gun case and checked bag, handed me off to another Gracy staff member who literally walked me through the gun inspection process, then walked me over to the hotel, and even made sure I got my gun case and bags in to my room! He met me again the next morning at the checkout desk at the hotel and walked me back to the airport. The lines were literally 40-60 people deep. He helped me "recheck" my gun case (the inspector new him so well he never opened my TuffPak), but the icing on the cake was he also new the check in person at the first class SAA desk, who never weighed my checked bag, just tagged it and gave me my boarding pass. Whole process that morning: approximately 20 minutes. Without their help-might have missed my flight to Harare.
Bottom line-you have choices, but use someone who is on the ground there and deals with the airport process on a regular basis. This forum is rampant with reports of shakedowns.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
+1

Have fun in Zim.

Who did you use?

Gracy.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions; this is helping us sort out some of the details in our trip planning. I've hunted in South Africa three times over the past seven years, and was not all that uncomfortable about the arrival to Johannesburg and the SAPS process. But, with the possibility of added complications from going on to Zimbabe and then back to Johannesburg, it seemed a good idea to hear from those who have more experience with these things.

We'll be hunting August 13-26 with Martin Pieters in the Omay, primarily for buffalo; will also spend several days in another area with more plains game options. Can't wait!

Cheers,

Rick