THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    I had to cancel my Africa trip. Suggestions?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I had to cancel my Africa trip. Suggestions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Fellas:
I had to cancel my South Africa and Zimbabwe hunt/vacation yesterday. I look to you for suggestions and answers to a couple of questions. Here is the story.

72 hours before I board the plane in Anchorage for a flight to Jo’burg I must get a VOCID PCR test. In my situation, I was to fly at 12:30 am on June 21 so I had to take the test on the Friday before. Alaska does not have a rapid test. So, I went to the clinic that is the only one in my area that does the PCR test. They can do the test on Friday no problem, but the results can only be emailed to me 2-4 days later. I explained my time frame and they could not guarantee I would have the results by 10pm that Monday.

Steve Turner at Travel With Guns was most helpful but suggested I not do this as if the negative test was not in hand at the ticket counter I would be denied boarding. He offered a solution.

Buy a domestic ticket to Chicago, collect my bags and check in to a hotel, and the next day take a cab 20 (miles or minutes) to the test site, pay $375 for a rapid test, return, and fly out the next day to Jo’burg on the international ticket. Three problems I see:

1. The extra time of 1-2 days added to my trip that would se me back that time for my booked hunt.
2. The extra cost of about $1000 or more
3. And the big one: spending a day in Chicago, taking a cab twice, staying in a hotel, all without a Chicago firearms permit while having my gun case in hand.

So, I cancelled everything with the hope later this summer things may change or I can make a better plan that I have time to think about rather than a rushed decision.

I ask you gents, the following:
1. What is a solution as you see it.
2. Do you know the cost and location of the rapid test in Jo’burg for my Zim flight?
3. Do you know the cost and location of the rapid test in Harare for my return to SA?
4. I assume I would need another test for my flight home as I was to spend a day in SA.

As always, appreciate your thoughts, suggestions, and feedback.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
May be move to a more civilized place where you can get a rapid test! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67016 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you could fly into someplace more gun friendly than Chicago. Perhaps say Denver. Should have a rapid P R test available there. No worries about the guns there
Bruce

Posts: 373 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are numerous PCR by mail outfits such as this one. I have had some of these submitted by mail in our labs. The problem is the getting a sample delivered and run on a Saturday.

https://getmydna.com/?gclid=Cj...dlQKriYaAunaEALw_wcB

I would suggest that you contact one of the larger hospitals in Anchorage. They are certainly running PCR tests with turnarounds less than 24 hours. Covid 19 PCR has become pretty standard in most every larger hospital lab. Even an Urgent Care or ER visit would probably be cheaper and more efficient than flying to Chicago.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I'm heading to Zim in late October.. Hoping this may have settled down some but assuming I will test at Dulles a day in advance, then if I get stuck on Joberg, test again there before going on to Bulawayo..

Worst case is I have hang out a day or so at Africa Sky on the way there if my results expire before I board the last leg..

Hoping it calms down some by then....

Right now Emirates has a flight: Dulles > Doah > Joberg > Bulawayo. that isn't too bad.. little over 5k for business class...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Cal,

Have you looked or considered at flying to Seattle? Many good motels close to the airport with shuttle service.

They have the quick testing. That would provide you the time allotment that you are looking for.

They have great international connections flying out of Seattle.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1578 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
order a Vault test ($119)and a Pixel (LabCorp test and they bill insurance). You will mention you need it for travel (they expedite the results). I've used these guys 6 times now in the last 6 months and every time had my results within 24 hours of them receiving the sample (they include overnight service). The lab also processes on Saturdays and Sundays. Hell, order 3-4 different tests... You'll have at least one back in time and not have to change anything.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Part of the problem is that some countries require a negative test within 72 hours of entry. That actually made my airline choice this year because if I flew Qatar, I'd have to find a rapid test on Sunday, but if I flew KLM, I could get tested on Monday morning and it would still be good when I got to Dar.

Interesting times.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
As always AR comes through. While I lost my initial reservation, I am working on a plan for another. I appreciate all of your suggestions.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Cal, when I returned from a Brown Bear hunt in Russia, 2009, I had to overnight in Chicago due to missed connections. That meant collecting bags / guns and traveling to the hotel via a cab. The hotel kept the guns in their safe until we departed the next day when we put them into the hotel van and rechecked at the airport.

No issues. Has something changed since then?

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I can get a PCR test with results in a few hours.

You should have figured this out in Alaska before having to cancel.

Sorry for your trouble.

By the way, you should have listened to Steve.

You make your choices and deal with the fallout.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13398 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike:
Steve nor I nor my doctor can find a quick PCR test anywhere in AK. Steve looked for a day and a half and came up empty.

I did't know of the PCR test until Steve told me. Then I called the local clinics and my doc and the clinic that can do the test. Since they email the results only that was the problem due to time. Since I was leaving Monday at 12:30 am I had to test on Friday. The clinic could not guarantee the results by Sunday at 10pm which is when I got to the airport. And, they don't do a quick test.

I have never been to Chicago with firearms and didn't know the legal issues with that. Also, I had a small time frame to hunt and the delay would have pushed me back and taken up two of my hunt days. That's why I didn't jump on a firearm friendly city such as Denver. From Todd's post, all was fine with him.

Fallout? There is none except I am looking into hunt dataes later in the summer so I can make a plan.

Steve runs an amazing business. If he didn't tell me of of the test I would have showed up at the airport and been denied boarding. I would not buy an international ticket without him where firearms are involved.

Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
Can anyone answer my two questions on where to take the test and the price in Jo'Burg and in Harare prior to boarding? Also, is it a quick test?

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Cal, I used the Capstone clinic in the Anchorage airport to corona test before my recent Hawaiian vacation and had Hawaii approved results in hours.

Posts: 9125 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.okavangodelta.com/...ohannesburg-airport/

Cal, this link gives some information. I would like a little more clarity on the wait time for results.
I've been told that numerous test sites are available in Bulawayo and Harare.
I'm headed over in mid-August.

Posts: 129 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
rglenz: thanks for the link. I will look into this;
Scott: This is great news. the folks at Capstone did not tell me of this and my agent didn't know of it, either. I will be in the city Tuesday and search this out.

what did the test cost and is it covered by insurance?
Cal

PS. Scott, as this was a flight to Hawaii, the test was not the PCD test required for internaional travel, was it?

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
rglenz: thanks for the link. I will look into this;
Scott: This is great news. the folks at Capstone did not tell me of this and my agent didn't know of it, either. I will be in the city Tuesday and search this out.

what did the test cost and is it covered by insurance?
Cal

PS. Scott, as this was a flight to Hawaii, the test was not the PCD test required for internaional travel, was it?

I don't know, I was doing nothing more than jumping thru the Hawaii hoops in order to get to Hawaii. Roll Eyes

But the Capstone testing is downstairs next to baggage claim and like I said, results Hawaii approved available in hours.

This all seems like the vaccine; get your shot/ test/ merit badge and you've earned a spot at the next level.

Maybe it's like karate, work your way up to the next color belt. Big Grin

Posts: 9125 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The States are why behind in the RT-PCR game. There are very few places you can get it done that guarantee results in time. I have done quite a bit of of international travel over the past year, and it requires a lot of planning to get everything aligned.

To answer your questions:
In JHB there is a test at the airport at the outside pickup area, they can get you your results next day. There is also a testing facility at the Pharmacy by the Nandos that can do a 2 hour PCR if you need something quicker.

In Zim go to Klosad +263242704126 or klosadlab@gmail.com in Harare. They are next day, and not as busy as many of the other places.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure Capstone has been doing rapid tests in Anchorage since last June, almost a year now. Just call and get this trip back on track!

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crane:
Pretty sure Capstone has been doing rapid tests in Anchorage since last June, almost a year now. Just call and get this trip back on track!

I called and the receptionist didn't know what a PCR test was. Capstone does the rapid tests but not the rapid PCR. I will drive to the city tomorrow and look into this in person.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Zim last night. Here's how I handled the covid tests prior to departure for my daughter and I:

I also couldn't find a lab that would guarantee to deliver results within my "window" (Zim requires test results within 48 hrs of departure). Now I see here that there are mail testing services, but I didn't know that at the time.

SO, I did a search for "free covid testing." I went and a test one evening, and another test the next morning. Free. Actually got both results within "the window" but if one had been too early/late, the other would have worked. BTW, both tests came back in 1.5 days.

As to testing prior to departure: SSG Safaris had this all set up with a lab in Chiredzi.

Does seem like there are some issues with leaving RSA right now. I noticed that Emirates has suspended flights out of RSA until 6/30, and we were asked in the Harare airport (both coming & going) whether we had been to SA. So maybe it's good that you've delayed your trip, Cal.

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
There is a testing site in Harare. It was fast and cheap
$60.00 US and had results in 1 1/2 hrs

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
went to S Africa hunting in MAy 20221. Flew from Seattle, used Arcpoint labs to get covid 19 PCR test. had test results in 90 min. Had to make appt on their website about 2 weeks before and pay upfront ($300.00) not covered by ins. Cheap cost compared to total trip cost. Flew on Qatar who asked to see test result at checkin. From S Africa back home we tested at local lab in Grahamstown in Eastern Cape. that our PH knew bout. test results in 24 hrs. cost was about $50.00 US. On flights home and at US immigrtion and Customs NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE asked about covid tests. Maybe we were lucky. US Customs only cared about verifying my rifles against my 4457's on return. Your mileage may vary.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Difficult to make this stuff up.
There is a place in Anchorage does the rapid PCR test BUT it is not on the website and that's why Steve nor I could find it. I called Steve this am and he still has my ticket and reservations so all is back on track.
Thanks for your suggestions. AR gents are the best.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the best Cal and good hunting!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Good to hear Cal. Have a great hunt!

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Best of Luck!!!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Im sorry you had to go through this, but Im glad you posted it. Im doing a late night flight out of Anchorage to Bulawayo in September. I wasn't sure how I was going to pull the testing off so I have a layover in DC on the way out.

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Cal, you’ve already gotten plenty of good advice, so I’ll lend a different perspective...

You aren’t getting any younger and the number of times you’ll be able to go to Africa is dwindling. Go while you can and enjoy Africa while you still have your health. Even if these tests and extra flights are a PITA, you’re not gonna spend your last dollar, so GO WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

And the post a report about your wonderful time in Zimbabwe.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Cal: Sorry to hear about your problems involving your upcoming trip. There is no such thing as a “Chicago gun permit”. Illinois RESIDENTS ONLY must have a Firearms Owner ID, issued by the Illinois State Police. Non residents just need an out of state Drivers License. Had I known your predicament I would have picked you up at ORD, driven you to our condo 15 miles from ORD and put you up for the night. I’ve lived in Chicago the last 10 years, and while we have a black Marxist lesbian racist Mayor, they still have to abide by the second Amendment. Next time you pass through Chicago drop me a PM and we’ll drink a couple beers and exchange African hunting stories.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Bud, thank you and it will be a pleasure to meet you in person. All is now set to go as mentioned above and I will be in Chicago on my way out but only have two hours to make a connection and on my return only 45 minutes. Perhaps another day.
Cheers,
Cal
PS. Did you vote for the black Marxist lesbian racist Mayor? LOL

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa