Find
Notify
Tools

United Oversize Baggage
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I called UA today for our upcoming trip to RSA.

Good news, based on my booking class, my wife and I can each check 2 carry ons up to 70 lbs for free.

Bad news - looks like the lowered the overall combined LxWxH dimensions to 62".

I remember being able to take my Pelican 1750 as a regular size bag, so they went down on combined dimensions.

So net, if I'm paying $200, I'm talking my 1740!!! Load her up!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Your Pelican should be covered under sporting equipment like skis so you aren’t dinged the enormous fees otherwise.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
I called UA today for our upcoming trip to RSA.

Good news, based on my booking class, my wife and I can each check 2 carry ons up to 70 lbs for free.

Bad news - looks like the lowered the overall combined LxWxH dimensions to 62".

I remember being able to take my Pelican 1750 as a regular size bag, so they went down on combined dimensions.

So net, if I'm paying $200, I'm talking my 1740!!! Load her up!

I just flew to Australia United and was a bit worried about my large duffel bag. I read the rules to mean a bag exceeding 62" or 70 lbs - mine was neither but it certainly would have exceeded 62" if wxlxh. I wasn't charged anything. I flew Quantas from Perth to Brisbane on Friday and was not charged a dime.

On United I was in business class but I don't think it mattered. I flew coach on Quantas but Ms LRNut is the fifth orb of the diamond order on American.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
In 2021 United didn't charge me and I had an aluminum case that was definitely over size.

DRSS Member

Posts: 906 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Reading the published baggage policies on Delta, American, and United one finds that archery equipment is specifically exempted from the 62" size limitation on both American and Delta. On the United website it is stated that archery equipment is accepted as checked baggage but there is no mention of a size exemption. Asking this question on several hunting sites it seems that United does not in practice make an issue of size for the normal / standard types of bow cases. All three airlines do state that the usual weight limits apply to archery equipment.
I have written three notes to United Airlines in the last three months asking for clarification. In each case I was referred to a different division of United (Customer care, baggage policies, general complaints). Never got a definitive answer.

Posts: 36 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've never had an oversized bag charge for any of my gun cases on United and the Star Alliance partners on 5 trips to Africa and bunch of flights in the US. My gun cases were all over 62" total.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I've never had an oversized bag charge for any of my gun cases on United and the Star Alliance partners on 5 trips to Africa and bunch of flights in the US. My gun cases were all over 62" total.

Same.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
What size cases did you take?

A 1750 is tight for 2 rifles, but works.

The 1740 is huge.

The new V800 from Pelican is a nice compromise and takes the new Magpul grid system.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take a Tuff Pak which is around 2,000.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never sweat the small stuff. I really just don't care.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
last trip United Pelican 1750 case 2 rifles no extra charge, they did not question anything on the size as it falls under sporting equipment

Posts: 203 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote