Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel insurance
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone used Ripcord Travel Protection or know anything about them? My travel agent has supplied a quote but I'm not familiar with this company.
How do they compare to Travel Guard, Global Recue etc?

Thanks for any advice

Posts: 22 | Location: W. KENTUCKY | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about any of the ones you mentioned, but Global Rescue makes me feel very comfortable traveling.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used Ripcord on the recommendation of Steve Turner last April for my ele hunt. I used miles for the flight but they allowed me to insure the trip for pretty much replacement cost. They cover everything from delays to flying you home in an emergency. I am sure I will use them again next June when I return to Zim for leopard. When you are spending the cost of a small house on a trip I think it makes sense to spend $2-3K more to insure it (and me). Just my $.02.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SOUTHPAWHUNTER:
Has anyone used Ripcord Travel Protection or know anything about them? My travel agent has supplied a quote but I'm not familiar with this company.
How do they compare to Travel Guard, Global Recue etc?

Thanks for any advice

I know some of the guys that run the company, awesome guys with military backgrounds. They have a great track record as well.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Whatever company you use, read the disclosures first. Travel Guard sounds great but has 32 pages (!) of exclusions. And, you have to ask (many times) for them to send them to you.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Ripcord for my Kyrgy hunt. No problems so they were not needed.

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We buy Travel Guard every time we book a hunt, we had to use it one time when my wife broke her ankle in SA, their "grab and go" policy is really inexpensive and includes a $25,000 medical clause and they spent a bunch of it before we got home. They have also paid off when flights were canceled or delayed causing us to miss hunting days (paid for hotel and missed hunting days). Just my experiences with them so take it for what it's worth.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2770 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I'm glad all went well for K and I'm sure for some others. However, do a consumer review of TG on the net and that will illustrate my point.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I'm glad all went well for K and I'm sure for some others. However, do a consumer review of TG on the net and that will illustrate my point.
Cal

Cal I did just that and read their rather lengthy list of exclusions. Decided not to use them on my last trip to the Arctic.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1814 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I have the same question. Does anyone have experience with these guys (Ripcord) where they had to file a claim? I see one positive comment on here and god knows if that person was real or a company shill for Ripcord. I have asked Travels with Guns twice for a list of references and they have been strangely silent. Makes me wonder.

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"