THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    SAA- Dulles to Joberg --- any recent negatives??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAA- Dulles to Joberg --- any recent negatives??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted
Realize there are several similar discussions but -- I am in the process of booking my flights for 2009 --- and would appreciate any CURRENT pros/cons on SAA.
Last time I flew SAA in 2006 it was a nightmare and I swore never ever again ----since then I have been flying Delta out of Atlanta -- which has been a great carrier for me.
However -- considering that since I am going to Bulawayo and have to change carriers in Joberg --if I use Delta for the first leg of the trip -- the increase costs to start with Delta and finish w/ SAA does become a bit of an issue. I really really hate the thought of connecting through Dulles and riding on SAA --- the last time the whole SAA experience was not positive in addition to them losing my artillery for several days.
CURRENT input on SAA please.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 928 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on "current" aspects of SAA, Dulles to Joberg. I guess it really doesn't matter but would like some recent input on this. We have booked, bought tickets and this is the way we will travel to Moz in August no matter what happens I guess? What is the transfer from incoming here in US to the International gates like in Dulles? Time required, physical implications etc? Thanks for the input and no need to bring up all the old stuff as I said it's a done deal.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I flew from Dulles to Jo'berg in June and had no significant issues at all. Security screening at Dulles took a long time - about 90 minutes - and the Airbus seats were uncomfortable but that's about all that was negative.

The flight was uneventful, the food was good, the entertainment center worked, and the SAA in-flight staff was helpful and pleasant. The return trip was the same. I'll be taking the same flight again in September.

I considered trying Delta for more comfortable seats. But given the increased costs and transfers that Woodmnctry cited and since I had no problems in June, I'll take the direct flight on SAA.

My trip originated at Dulles so I can't speak to transfer times but Dulles does have remote terminals that require a shuttle bus to the main terminal. I would assume that transfers will take more time than other airports. Maybe similar to Dallas and Atlanta?

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodmnctry:
Realize there are several similar discussions but -- I am in the process of booking my flights for 2009 --- and would appreciate any CURRENT pros/cons on SAA.
Last time I flew SAA in 2006 it was a nightmare and I swore never ever again ----since then I have been flying Delta out of Atlanta -- which has been a great carrier for me.
However -- considering that since I am going to Bulawayo and have to change carriers in Joberg --if I use Delta for the first leg of the trip -- the increase costs to start with Delta and finish w/ SAA does become a bit of an issue. I really really hate the thought of connecting through Dulles and riding on SAA --- the last time the whole SAA experience was not positive in addition to them losing my artillery for several days.
CURRENT input on SAA please.

Wife and I flew it in Dec, 2008. Went smooth not problems and on to Harare. In my experience allow at least 3 hrs at Dulles. Might make it in 2 if you hit it right. We didn't time before last.

I like Delta better, but somwhere along the line when we used that SAA failed to move the guns from Jo-burg for 15 days. No reponse for how and why, properly tagged with original tags when I finally got them.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
I like Delta better, but somwhere along the line when we used that SAA failed to move the guns from Jo-burg for 15 days. No reponse for how and why, properly tagged with original tags when I finally got them.[/QUOTE]

Bit confusing??? Were you on a Delta flight and changed to SAA or ??
TKS
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 928 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I did the trip in October; sedatives help the flight tremendously, since the seats are small, but I have no other criticism to make.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodmnctry:
I like Delta better, but somwhere along the line when we used that SAA failed to move the guns from Jo-burg for 15 days. No reponse for how and why, properly tagged with original tags when I finally got them.

Bit confusing??? Were you on a Delta flight and changed to SAA or ??
TKS
G[/QUOTE]

One flight done each method

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote