THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    What are the variable when travelling with guns to Africa in particular?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are the variable when travelling with guns to Africa in particular?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
I am about to book my flights for my first trip to Africa. I'll be hunting buffalo with Martin Pieters in Sept. I will be flying from New Zealand.

Here are a few of the issues that I have come across.

* British airways are not gun friendly
* South African Airways & Quantas are gun friendly (as are Air NZ)
* Transiting with guns in Hong Kong can be a problem (very strict rules and inspections) but the people are polite ...
* Cathay Pacific are a good airline but they allow only 20 KG total checked in baggage including gun case. Any extra baggage will be charged @ US$60 per Kg!!!!! So a gun case with 2 rifles = 15 kg = US$900 extra
* Air NZ charge $200 extra for the "sport item" gun case
* SAA allows one sport item (gun case) as extra allowance - but only in their own operated flights (not in co-partner flights with their ticket)
* Transiting Singapore or Kuala Lampur or India with guns - how much of a problem is it????
* You do not need an export license for taking a rifle out of NZ but you need an import license to bring it back!

I wish there was a thread with full information as a "sticky" at the top of this section.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Rules change on a regular basis, so it is best to ask on specific transit points.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66957 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I am amazed you are leaving in 3 months and haven't booked a flight. i think you have a fair bit of research to do and as Saeed said- make the research airline and transit point- specific.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13148 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Jerry

Yes I have delayed it but for a good reason. I have been doing a lot of research for over 18 months. A lot of info to absorb for a newby.

I thought I had everything lined up back in Oct. Then a business deal got delayed. Finalised in April but a few other things had to be in place. For an average guy with limited options, I just had to be absolutely sure.

I just got final confirmation that the trip is on. I have the flight booked through SAA & I have to pay tomorrow.

This post is just to fine tune the info as I could not find it all in one place.

Valid point that the rules keep changing.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naki,
Best bet is to fly with either SAA or Qantas to JBerg. They are the most gun friendly as I have also found.

If you can do emirates to Dubai then onto Harare is another great way to go. The gun permission required for UAE may take a few weeks to sort out, but this is a good option also.
My friend flew BA from Auckland last November, and anything more than one gun creates big issues with BA. You need special permits to fly etc. stay away from that, ditto Cathay.

Cheers
Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Mate, even if it costs more it's best to stick with qantas and don't fly via Western Australia

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most direct route appears to be Auckland - Perth on Air New Zealand (or could be ticketed as a SAA code share), then SAA Perth to Joberg, then SAA to Harare.

Just wondering why Ozhunter's advice to not fly via Western Australia. Never flown that route so no first hand experience but any details of problems would be worth knowing about.

The Air New Zealand $200 fee must be relatively new as it was not in place when I flew them Los Angeles to London. Air New Zealand is very good about transporting firearms. I had a chat with one of their people in London who handles firearms (due to a minor paperwork hiccup) and apparently Air New Zealand stores firearms in the secure cargo storage area that they use for transporting cash, bullion, and other valuables. Probably increases the actual chance of the luggage showing up.

Good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Yes SAA from Auckland to Perth to Joburg.

But the JNB to Vic Falls sector is crazy. Return flight on 1st Oct is fully booked!!

I wonder what the problem is with flying through WA???

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Yes SAA from Auckland to Perth to Joburg.

But the JNB to Vic Falls sector is crazy. Return flight on 1st Oct is fully booked!!

I wonder what the problem is with flying through WA???

It is always best to book well ahead of time.

We go to Tanzania in late September, and Emirates has daily flights to Dar.

About 3 years ago we tried to book in June, and were put on a waiting list!!

Since then, I do my booking in January, and never worry about it.

Posts: 66957 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have booked my tickets.

Flying JNB to Bulawayo by SAA

Return from Vic Falls to JNB - by British Airways. No other reliable alternative, as SAA is sold out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be wary of BA in Africa, if it is on the alliance partner (Commair?) they do not
Allow firearms!! Better make sure of travel with firearm.

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened two me... SAA showed full VFA to JNB but when I tried Business fare for that leg I found a seat for $200 extra.

BA' s affiliate won't take your rifle. Fix that leg or risk leaving your firearm Zim! Check below :

http://www.kulula.com/flights/...irearms-and-toy-guns

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BA, or more correctly, Comair, does not carry firearms as other have mentioned. If there is nothing available in business look at spending an extra day or two in Vic Falls.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Naki,

Check with HendrikNZ (Member here), he's in Auckland and he's hunted Africa before.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12541 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody. yes I have been in touch with Hendrix & he flew Quantas.

I have my flights confirmed now with Air Zimbabwe & Candy Pieters has been very helpful in checking out some of the options.

77 days to go!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks everybody. yes I have been in touch with Hendrix & he flew Quantas.

I have my flights confirmed now with Air Zimbabwe & Candy Pieters has been very helpful in checking out some of the options.

77 days to go!

Good on ya, I hope that you have the trip of a lifetime!

I saw Hendrik last month when I was in Auckland.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12541 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaglav:
The most direct route appears to be Auckland - Perth on Air New Zealand (or could be ticketed as a SAA code share), then SAA Perth to Joberg, then SAA to Harare.

Just wondering why Ozhunter's advice to not fly via Western Australia. Never flown that route so no first hand experience but any details of problems would be worth knowing about.

The Air New Zealand $200 fee must be relatively new as it was not in place when I flew them Los Angeles to London. Air New Zealand is very good about transporting firearms. I had a chat with one of their people in London who handles firearms (due to a minor paperwork hiccup) and apparently Air New Zealand stores firearms in the secure cargo storage area that they use for transporting cash, bullion, and other valuables. Probably increases the actual chance of the luggage showing up.

Good luck on your hunt.

Jaglav,

Perth is the most gun hating capital city of any state in Australia. Checking firearms through customs there is a NIGHTMARE. You just fly over it at high altitude and ignore the bloody place.

And SAA is the best bet for Aussie/Kiwi hunters as they give you a free 20kgs "sporting allowance"....which includes sporting firearms. Big Grin

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blair, thanks for the heads up on Perth - had no idea.

I would assume that Nakihunter would have no problem as he wouldn't actually have to deal with customs in Perth as his luggage would be checked through since Air New Zealand and SAA are both Star Alliance.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Yes I collected my tickets today & the agent was great. She even printed out for me the email correspondence with both airlines confirming that the rifles are fine.

I am also booked Joburg to Bilawayo & I am hoping they will check my bags right through, though the ticket is a separate one.

BA have refunded my costs & Air Zimbabwe have confirmed everything for the return from Vic Falls to Joburg.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes I collected my tickets today & the agent was great. She even printed out for me the email correspondence with both airlines confirming that the rifles are fine.

I am also booked Joburg to Bilawayo & I am hoping they will check my bags right through, though the ticket is a separate one.

BA have refunded my costs & Air Zimbabwe have confirmed everything for the return from Vic Falls to Joburg.

Watch out for Comair!!

I understand they don't carry guns.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Yes Saeed. I booked on BA website after checking the guns policy. When I got the confirmation, it said Comair! I called customer services and the bubble burst! I asked for a refund & they agreed.

BA is pretty unprofessional to not have this policy variation on their website, particularly for destinations like Vic Falls.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaglav:
Blair, thanks for the heads up on Perth - had no idea.

I would assume that Nakihunter would have no problem as he wouldn't actually have to deal with customs in Perth as his luggage would be checked through since Air New Zealand and SAA are both Star Alliance.

Jaglav,

He should be fine.......I hope.

To give you an example of their bloodymindedness in Perth.

I flew to Perth on a domestic ticket with QANTAS and was then flying on to Namibia. I had to clear my firearms at Perth as that was my departing city from Australia. Perth's customs gleefully informed me that my NSW firearms paperwork would probably be incorrect and I would miss my connecting flight........

They counted all my ammunition, checked head stamps etc.....but could find no fault with my paperwork, which pissed them off. Before I got on my flight for SA/Namibia they told me that if returned via Perth my paperwork would be not applicable and they would seize my firearms.
Needless to say when I arrived in Namibia I changed my return ticket and flew straight through to Sydney.

Avoid Perth Wink

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I found out that SAA flies to Bulawayo as Air Link & they have a special policy on guns!

The base policy from 2007 says no guns but you can get a waiver / permission 3 days earlier.

I called SAA & followed up closely & confirmed my permission to take guns.

I then checked the Vic falls to JNB return sector & found a seat on SAA though it was fully booked 2 weeks earlier. So I grabbed that & cancelled my Air Zim ticket. Cost me about $200 more and a bit of running around but I now have peace of mind that I am on SAA right through.

44 days to go!

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found out that SAA flies to Bulawayo as Air Link & they have a special policy on guns!

The base policy from 2007 says no guns but you can get a waiver / permission 3 days earlier.

Wow, so glad that you mentioned this as I will be taking that flight on Sept. 12 and Sept. 23.

I will have to get my travel agent confirm and get the permission.

Edit: Link to the baggage policy.
http://www.flyairlink.com/impo...n/baggage_policy.php

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of this the reason why I have used Gracy Travel to book everything, even though I have flown using miles. The peace of mind that someone knows what problems there might be with travelling with firearms and how to deal with them is worth a few hundred bucks to me.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
If you are required to collect your luggage in Jo'berg you will need a South African gun permit. I'd highly suggest you contact Air2000 Hunters Support and enlist their service if that is the case. It's the best money you will spend.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
Blair,
If you hold a valid B709a , and the RGP customs export permits and declaration advice, then no customs agency in Oz can query this?
I have never done the Perth route, but have friends that do sydney - PErth on qantas , then re check in with SAA with firearms without any problems.

I am curious as to what they will refuse on the return leg/ entry.
My mates are flying this route next month, I am flying Sydney to J. BUrg direct.

Will see what happens.

Cheers

Nick

Any update on this?

Given customs are a federal agency and WA police don't staff the airport, a B709 for a rifle registered in your home state should be enough Confused It isnt as if you are moving to WA with the firearm

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nickh:
Blair,
If you hold a valid B709a , and the RGP customs export permits and declaration advice, then no customs agency in Oz can query this?
I have never done the Perth route, but have friends that do sydney - PErth on qantas , then re check in with SAA with firearms without any problems.

I am curious as to what they will refuse on the return leg/ entry.
My mates are flying this route next month, I am flying Sydney to J. BUrg direct.

Will see what happens.

Cheers

Nick

Sorry for the late reply, but the problem with a B709A form is that it is issued by each state's different firearms registries.

Thus a NSW B709 can be declared invalid in Perth.

Adam and I have both had trouble in Perth. Avoid it like the plague.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

For those who've already booked tickets via the dreaded Perth airport, do you have any experience with trying to head them off by applying for a B709 from WA police in addition to one from your local state?

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote