New
Find
Notify
Tools

FISHING TACKLE AS CARRY-ON
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had a bamboo take down spinning rod made by Stutzman and am a bit reluctant to put it in my checked baggage when we head out for Zim. Does TSA allow fishing rods and reel as carryon baggage

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they did a month ago.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
otherwise i put them inyo the guncase

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had no issues with a 4pc graphite fly rod and its reel.

Hooks are another issue,and I had 2 #18 flies that they took away Roll Eyes

For those that don't fish those hooks are like an 1/8 gap at the bend,both dry flies would sit on top of a dime. Eeker

Dangerous stuff

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dinsdale:
I have had no issues with a 4pc graphite fly rod and its reel.

Hooks are another issue,and I had 2 #18 flies that they took away Roll Eyes

For those that don't fish those hooks are like an 1/8 gap at the bend,both dry flies would sit on top of a dime. Eeker

Dangerous stuff

Nothing like a good fishhook!! thumb

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the input:I expected someone would get all wrapped around the axle if they found lures in my carryon

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told the rod case could not be over 48" long. and that I had to check it not carry on. AA airlines

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also had to check my take down rod ( a st. croix traveller that is about 28" long in its case) they wouldn't allow it as carry-on.
Who are you flying with? Check the website under special baggage usually fishing equipment is listed and what the airline requires.

Good luck

Posts: 171 | Location: ontario canada | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I go United to Dulles then SAA to Harare. Probably should check with Kathi about this

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont know how the rules differ between airlines, but I have now given up trying to carry any fishing gear as carry on.
Over the past few years I have seen short travel rods in tubes refused because the tube "could be used as a club"
Reels refused because "you could use the fly line to strangle someone" and flies refused because "they have a sharp point"
I even had a spare rifle scope moved from my carry on into my checked luggage at Harare because "it was part of a gun"
There is no logic to any of it, but just be cautious and put the stuff in your rifle case.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I flew the Dulles/Joberg/Harare route in 2007 with my fishing stuff in carryon without any problems. I had numerous lures and hooks in a plastic box in my travel vest and had no problems with security. I guess it all depends upon the individual agent.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I fly to the Pacific Northwest to fly fish for steelhead quite often and I put all of my gear (fly boxes, waders, wading boots, vest, wading jacket, reels, wading staff, rods, etc, etc, etc, all in a rolling duffle as checked baggage. The LL Bean rolling duffle that I have has a bottom compartment that will easily fit my 4 piece #8 9' steelhead rod in its aluminum tube. I place the TSA locks on the duffle and have never had a problem with damage, theft or any other issue. I can't imagine that Africa could be much different.