THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    ZIM-Five airport workers nabbed for theft from tourists

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ZIM-Five airport workers nabbed for theft from tourists
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Five airport workers nabbed for theft from tourists

Victoria Falls Reporter

December 24, 2010

FIVE Victoria Falls people working at the Victoria Falls International Airport have been arrested for allegedly stealing valuables worth hundreds of dollars from luggage belonging to passengers passing through the airport.
Worldwide, travellers are losing valuables at airports when airport staff handling their luggage open and steal from the unsuspecting travellers’ bags.
Officer commanding Victoria Falls police district Chief Superintendent Jairos Chiona confirmed the arrest of the airport personnel yesterday.
He said among the suspects was a security officer, three baggage handlers from the National Handling Services (NHS) and an officer with the Civil Aviation Authority of Zimbabwe (CAAZ).
“Police working on information received went and searched a second hand dealer’s bag and found gadgets which he could not account for.
“The dealer implicated the five suspects whom he said were the source of the gadgets,” he said.
Chief Supt Chiona said police recovered a digital camera, a cellphone, an ipod and an iphone and a video camera.
“We have reason to suspect that these gadgets were all stolen from travellers and investigations are under way,” he said.
He, however, could not give statistics of theft cases involving airport employees at Victoria Falls.
“Statistics are difficult to give because at every airport, travellers have the risk of losing valuables. The problem is that travellers will only realise that something has been stolen from their bags when they arrive at their final destination.
“This is because while they are in transit they have minimum or no contact at all with their luggage,” he said.
Meanwhile, Chief Supt Chiona said police will be out in full force during and after the festive season.
He said police had intensified patrols in residential areas as well as areas popular with tourists.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9377 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I hope they got the one that pinched my camcorder with the video of the ostrich trying to mate me. (long story) Big Grin

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge, no worry...I have copies of it for $10 each!!!

Posts: 20091 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the same bastards that stole two of my cameras in the Vic Falls Airport. Found out about the theft when I reached Jo'burg. I say shoot or hang them! Mad This had been going on for quite some time!This was the reason that I now travel with hard side luggage. No zippers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
They need to do the same thing, 10x, at JNB.

Hopefully they got the "if you are lying to me, there will be consequences" lady.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am still missing my video camera stolen there in '92. I am still hopeful of getting it back although the battery might need charging. I reckon. Frowner

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote