New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do in Harare??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got two lay-over's in Harare.. One in and one out.. What's a boy to do while in town??

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
Never been there, but my guess is "hide". Smiler

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Hang up some Mugabe sucks! posters.
Eeker

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I was last in Harare with the cook in 1992. No doubt some things have changed.

The ordinary Zimbabwians are some of the friendliest and most helpful people I have ever met. If you have any sense of adventure, I'd approach some of the locals and just ask where to go and what to do. Usual precautions while travelling overseas apply. Just don,t broadcast your foreign. I see yuo are from Ca.. Most times there are prices for Americans and prices for everyone else.

The european Zimbos are always keen to get news and opinions from overseas and you may very well find yourself invited home for a night of world class hospitality. Just help them out with some oosa, (USA) dollars. They need the help.

Southern Harare has the cholera problem and never eat or buy anything from the side of the road. Your PH should have some contacts in Harare, ask him.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACRecurve:
Hang up some Mugabe sucks! posters.
Eeker

I know your only jokeing. yuck

I wouldn't do this even in a country with free speech. It's not my country and a little respect goes a looong way.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No worries... Won't be hanging any posters or tagging any walls.. Smiler

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was there in April 2008 and stayed at the Bronte Hotel. Nice place.

My PH advised me not to leave the hotel...period. My PH was Nixon Dzingia. If an African tells you not to mingle with the natives then heed the warning. However, all of the Zimbabwe people I met on my travels across the country are wonderful. I never felt threatened at anytime. They are nice people.

Barricade yourself in your room and lock and load your rifle.

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Buzz's secretary had us visiting a local market that is selling plenty of curios, really a large pick and absolutely safe as only tourists roam this place.

We also visited Patrick Mavros workshop who is dealing in upper category. He also has a shop in London.
Patrick Mavros

A very nice and hush shop offering marvelous silverware. Don't miss this opportunity. The pricing is really sensible and you can't get out empty handed.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay at Meikles hotel, go down to the bar around 2200 and before long something will occur to you.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Chick:
Stay at Meikles hotel, go down to the bar around 2200 and before long something will occur to you.

Hmmmm , That sound ominous.. What happens @ 2200hrs.. Turn into a pumpkin or something?? Wink

MopaneMike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Around the Meikles ther'are some nice shops.
Outside the town ther'are a couple of shopping centers ( Westgate and another I dont remember the name) that are quite nice with bars, restaturants and many shops. For the shopping remember that is difficult pay with foreing currency.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my 2006 trip we were impressed with the Amanzi Bar.The web address included is the Lodge,not the Bar.They are owned by the same couple but are about 2kms apart.The husband runs the bar and entertains the lady tourists while the wife runs the lodge!
If you want to see a modern African version of Ricks bar from Casablanca you will do no better than the Amanzi Bar.Lots of government types in flash suits,American "visiters" from the Embassy,tourist women-it is a must see.
I assume it is still up and running-I was not in Harare long enough to find out in 2008.
Buzz Charlton could give you the good oil-he arranged it for us.
http://amanzi.co.zw/about.htm

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Buy a pair of Courtenay boots and a Buffalo skin gun bag.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to Buzz's place, 5 Lindrew Close, Chispite, bum a beer off of him Wink

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote