THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    How To Avoid Excess Baggage Charges

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How To Avoid Excess Baggage Charges
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Funny yes, but that is exactly why I wear a Filson Safari jacket on international travels, as I can pack it full of items if the bags are overweight! tu2 It's come in handy more than once! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Airlines need to charge by the pound, whether passenger or baggage.

For example, your ticket gets you up to 250# from point a to b. Every pound over that is X dollars.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
I can see that policy creating some domestic bliss.

"Honey. let me weigh you so I can figure out our luggage allowance". rotflmo

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Funny yes, but that is exactly why I wear a Filson Safari jacket on international travels, as I can pack it full of items if the bags are overweight! tu2 It's come in handy more than once! Big Grin

I have never had my carry on weighed, but that is my plan to use my Filson vest and load it up...

I have had my carryon weigh as much as 49 lbs.

But, there is no written limit as to how much YOU can weigh with ALL the things in your "pockets"...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:

I have never had my carry on weighed, but that is my plan to use my Filson vest and load it up...

I have had my carryon weigh as much as 49 lbs.

But, there is no written limit as to how much YOU can weigh with ALL the things in your "pockets"...

SAA at Dulles weighs every piece of carry on luggage before they put a cabin tag on it and allow it on the plane. If it is over 18 pounds, they check it at the gate. For backpacks etc, they provide tie wraps so you can "lock" the various compartments. With the amount of theft that goes on with baggage in Jo'burg, I would certainly not want my carry on luggage checked at the gate!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have had theft from my carry on luggage checked at the gate. Expensive cameras stolen, even though the carry on bag was locked. They did the old zipper trick. That is why I have hard sided Samsonite luggage (no zippers) and that is why I have the Filson vest: If demand is made to load my carry on at the gate I simply unload all of the valuables into my Filson vest. Same as with the weight issue. No more theft issues. Big Grin And screw the proposal to charge a human being by the pound. Mad But, I would support every airline requiring that every bag be shrink wrapped to avoid theft, if required to put into the belly of the plane either at check in or at the gate. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The position the airlines put us in is just silly. We are advised not to put valuables into checked bags, and are given an 18 pound carry on limit. I wear my SLR around my neck, and load my pockets with binoculars and smaller cameras. Once past check in, they go back into my carry on. Sheesh.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I often carry a leather "man bag" - I have had my carry-on bag weighed and even refused but never the leather shoulder bad, where I can fit my laptop, ipad, camera etc. etc. Always glad to board and get it off my shoulder!

I have had the zipper trick done on my checked in bag from Dar es Salaam to Jo'burg, but nothing of value in it.

Cheers Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote