New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dallas to Africa options
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are the most efficient travel routes to Africa from Dallas?

Based on my research, it looks like Dallas to Lusaka, Zambia and Dallas to Harare, Zimbabwe are the most efficient. Each has one fairly short stop in Doha via Qatar airways. From what I can tell, it looks like Qatar airways is stopping service to Windhoek this fall but I think this is just seasonal.

Getting to Botswana looks like multiple long layovers would be involved flying through Johannesburg.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m certainly no travel agent or expert on the matter, but if going to South Africa, then in my experience Delta would be the most efficient (DFW-ATl-JNB). You can fly Delta to Joburg in 21-24 hours, Qatar, Emirates and others have longer flight times due to increased distance and layovers.
If going to Zim, you can avoid the OR Tambo disaster by flying many of the other airlines (only flown Emirates and Qatar avoiding Joburg). We try our best to avoid Joburg, but even flying to Harare or Bic Falls, I think Delta (connecting to SA Airlink) would be the most “efficient” but likely not the most trouble free route.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
If he’s flying out of Dallas, he’s still got to get to ATL from Dallas. I’m leaving Sunday from Dallas to JNB on QA and total trip time from there via Doha is 24’40”- only a few hours longer than DFW-ATL-JNB. And a lot cheaper and better service……Of course, I avoid Delta at all cost for any flight anyway. Cool

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d like to avoid Johannesburg. I’ve done the ATL-JNB flight before. I’ve also flown via Dulles back when SAA was flying that route.

I’m wanting to hunt either Botswana, Zambia, or Zimbabwe for my next hunt. And it seems like Zambia and Zimbabwe may be the easiest to get to from Dallas with just one layover, especially if I’m taking my own rifles.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
To get to Botswana you’re pretty much forced through JNB. I’ve flown JNB to Kasane and Maun many times. Until you decide your destination you can’t do any airline planning.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Going DFW-JNB-NLA and return in October on Qatar. Their gun permit process is a PITA. If Emirates is close in fare, choose them. The gun permit is super easy and on-line. I chose Qatar for the Avios mileage and fare, big mistake.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just returned from Zambia on Qatar, round trip, with no issues as usual. I've never had a problem with missing bags or rifles flying Qatar or Emirates and I've flown them a bunch.
I'm Leaving for Tanzania (Kilombero) on October 27th and hope my good luck continues.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm Leaving for Tanzania (Kilombero) on October 27th and hope my good luck continues.

Hunting with our common friend "pedal to metal" ? Big Grin

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunting with our common friend "pedal to metal" ?

Lol, yes sir and Liam will be joining us.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote