New
Find
Notify
Tools

traveling to Cameroon
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Travel options to Cameroon go through Paris, Brussels or Istanbul. Based on AR members actual experiences which is the best way to go? Thank you for your input.

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 468 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done all three several times.
I would say Turkish (and Istanbul as an airport) is best, followed by Air Brussels. I am not a fan of Air-France or the Paris airport.

The only disadvantage with Turkish might be the late arrival in Cameroon.

Best regards,
Dennis

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I used Air France. They lost both suitcases and never found them. I would swim before I would fly Air France. Mad

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
I've done all three several times.
I would say Turkish (and Istanbul as an airport) is best, followed by Air Brussels. I am not a fan of Air-France or the Paris airport.

The only disadvantage with Turkish might be the late arrival in Cameroon.

Best regards,
Dennis

Caracal...Have you done the route through Istanbul starting in the US? It seems like it would be significantly more flight time traveling to Istanbul and down to Cameroon as compared to going through Paris if you are originating in the US. However, I've never gone through Istanbul so I could be mistaken.

DD...thanks for starting this thread. I'm headed to Cameroon in 2025 and was pondering this same question. I used Air France via Paris to get to Congo-Brazzaville a few years back with no issues, although, I was not traveling with firearms. On the way back we had a long layover in Paris and were able to rent a room for a few hours right in the airport which was a nice break FWIW.

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am also going in 2025. This is of interest .

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
I have not flown to that destination but have flown with both those airlines. I would fly Turkish over Air France with a firearm. The Istanbul airport is 100 times better than Paris.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
I have not flown to that destination but have flown with both those airlines. I would fly Turkish over Air France with a firearm. The Istanbul airport is 100 times better than Paris.

Turkish Delight v Frogs legs? clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat the new Istanbul airport.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Hard to beat the new Istanbul airport.

Hard for Air France NOT to be bottom! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Could not have had better service than we had with Air France earlier this year.

Simply the best.

You complainers need to voyez la vie en rose!

Turkish is fine, too, of course, but adds significant time.

Have never flown through Belgium.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I don't know... I flew Air France to Cameroon and didn't get my gun until two days later. Same when I flew to Burkina Faso. Rifle arrived three days later. Air France has not been kind to me.

I flew Turkish to Ethiopia no problems, but just got back from Mongolia last month and Turkish from Houston to Istanbul to Ulaanbaatar and no gun until the evening before the last day of the hunt. That fiasco was caused by a code share with MIAT which is a Mongolian airline. You can flip a coin these days but I have had better luck overall with Turkish than Air France...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I’ll be hunting Cameroon this coming February. I’m booking Turkish from SFO to DLA. Layover for this flight is 22-24 hours in each direction. I’m actually looking forward to that as I’ve never been to Istanbul and am looking forward to doing a bit of guided sightseeing. There is an option that just 22 hours from DLA to SFO but I’m going with the longer option of 40 hours to see more of the city. It’s also less expensive by several hundred dollars.

Arrival at DLA is at midnight, but no big deal to me as we fly out that morning, to either Ngoundere or Garoua then drive to camp.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote