THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Jo-Berg via Frankfurt verses London route

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jo-Berg via Frankfurt verses London route
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi

Any advantages or disadvantages in going to Jo-berg via Frankfurt verses going the London route??

THANKS

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about from Europe and stopping in Windhoek, I would fly direct.

If you are talking about from North America, I see no reason to fly through Europe to get there.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can only relate my expereince, after all I live 15 minutes from the FKT airport, so I guess you could say I'm slightly prejudiced.

I hate London Heathrow - flew in/outa there once/twice a week for over 20 years on business and detest the airport with a vengance. Especially since I'm a "Sportsman" and used weekends for lesuire meaning I was often accompanied by a shotgun or rifle. Had enough Bad Hair Days to last a liftime in Heathrow or Gatwick although I was always right, had the correct paperwork - Whew! The Brits just don't get it - "You've got a WHAT with you!?". On the other hand when flying to Inverness or Newcastle never had a glitch, they're of course out in the Country where folks know a thing or two about "Sportsmen".

The nice thing about a FKT layover is that you can either spend the day relaxing beacuse there's usually at least 11 hours between connecting flights (in all fariness often the same or similar time when flying out of the UK), so it tends to break up those REALLY long flights from the East Coast directly to southern Africa.

The biggest benefit is that you can spend not only the day between flights but even one or two days without the hassles of what to do with your firearms. In Germany the airline will transfer them to your forwarding flight or German Customs will store - much easier than under the same set of circumstances in the UK.

just my $0.02 worth.....

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote