Find
Notify
Tools

Baggage Experience
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is for those of you who have flown Delta to RSA this year:
Did they measure your gun case when you checked it?
I can't remember them caring what size my gun case was in the past on domestic flights, but it counted as a checked bag. Checked bags, other than gun cases I hope, are subject to a charge if they exceed 62 linear inches (L+W+H).

Thanks.

Steve H
NRA Benefactor Member
"Most of my money I spent on reloading, hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted."

Posts: 43 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All Delta did was to weigh gun cases for my group that just went over and back. One problem I did have with the ticket counter is that they had the rules in RSA all messed up. They said that ammo had to be in gun case and that we had to apply for gun permits at least 21 days in advanced. I corrected them and let them know that ammo needed to be in checked baggage and that gun permits were not issued until arrival in the SAPS office in the airport.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my last trip over on Delta from Dallas to Dullas I got to the airport early.

Another fella showed up and had an aluminium 2 gun rifle case.

The wife and I had 2 full size Tuffpaks and a take down tuffpack.

I had no problems...

The next morning at Dullus I saw the same fella with a different rifle case????

When I asked him about it he told me that he was told his other rifle case was too big, and he had to go to Bas Pro [it is near DFW] and get a smaller rifle case...

Seemed funny to me, as I did not think his rifle case was oversize. It did not look any longer than a Pelican case...

I have never had any size issues with a Pelican or the Tuffpak

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I've never had a problem with the size and/or weight of a guncase.

All recent flights have been either First or Businees Class and that may help -- but I have logged lots of Economy Class miles in years past and never had an issue then either.

Sporting equipment has historically not been restricted in that way -- rather they usually describe how many of what may be included in the cases -- ie 5 handguns; two rifles; or whatever.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input- I think the TuffPak is the way of the future, but I have a double rifle Pelican now that'll have to do. Apparently it will. This flight is BizElite so that "help" is available on this jaunt. I have been thinking that I might want to package the rifle and shotgun in soft cases in the pelican by not using the center layer of foam. I will have to play with that a bit...I have no idea if it will work well or poorly or not at all.

Steve H
NRA Benefactor Member
"Most of my money I spent on reloading, hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted."

Posts: 43 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve H:
... I have been thinking that I might want to package the rifle and shotgun in soft cases in the pelican by not using the center layer of foam. I will have to play with that a bit...I have no idea if it will work well or poorly or not at all.

Steve,

Don't do it!!!

The case is not designed to function properly without the center foam piece! I have not tried it with soft cases, but know for a certainty that significant damage can occur without the foam! They will shift if dropped on end without the foam - with cut-outs for each firearm.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Les.
I was thinking that might be a problem, but I thought perhaps a cutout for the gun in the soft case might work. Of course I need to be sure it'll close with the soft case in place first, which it might not. I'll play a little, being very careful!

Steve H
NRA Benefactor Member