Find
Notify
Tools

Bag Transfer to SA Airlink
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
Does Emirates transfer bags (and guns) to SA Airlink? I am told the flights from DFW to BUQ can be put on the same reservation via a travel agent. I can't find many airlines that I can book a flight all on one ticket to BUQ. Looking to avoid claiming bags in JNB, want to just check them through to BUQ.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since SAA has a code-share agreement with Emirates I believe you're ok. I've checked my bags and guns through to Beira next week with with Airlink Via Air Canada.

Airlink requires no less than 3 days notice before your flight that you will be checking firearms. This needs to be done over the phone, not email, and you need to call during business hours in South Africa. In the past when I've booked my own tickets I could call Airlink myself. This year I used a travel agent and Airlink told me the travel agent needed to call.

Hope this helps.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Sevens,
Please let me know your route as I may want to use it in the future.

Can you board Emirates at DFW and go to Joberg via Dubai?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lane, yes you can go DFW to Joburg on Emirates, we've done it several times and it is an easy flight. 13-14 hours to Dubai and then a layover in Dubai, several choices from about 3 hours to almost 24 hours, then on to Joburg, another 8 hour flight. Emirates has "different" firearms carriage rules, not complicated you just have to comply with their rules and they absolutely have the best ticket counter staff I've ever encountered.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2808 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
You can go directly to Harare and skip JNB altogether.

Posts: 756 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
What about Vic Falls?

Does Emirates fly into Vic Falls?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:

Lane, yes you can go DFW to Joburg on Emirates, we've done it several times and it is an easy flight. 13-14 hours to Dubai and then a layover in Dubai, several choices from about 3 hours to almost 24 hours, then on to Joburg, another 8 hour flight. Emirates has "different" firearms carriage rules, not complicated you just have to comply with their rules and they absolutely have the best ticket counter staff I've ever encountered.

Have you done the gun transfer like Sevens is speaking about to use Airlink to get into Bulawayo?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the Emirates to SA Airlink twice this year from Joberg to Bulawayo, and had zero issues. Didn't have to clam bags until we arrived in Zim.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lane,

As of last November there were only six or eight flights per day into Vic falls. One British Air, one SAA, and the rest air ZIm. Big modern terminal with no flights

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Garcia:
I did the Emirates to SA Airlink twice this year from Joberg to Bulawayo, and had zero issues. Didn't have to clam bags until we arrived in Zim.

Robert,

Are you doing the flight that lands from DXB into JNB at 5:30AM then taking a direct connection on SA Airlink to BUQ at 10:40AM the same day?

That's the flight I am looking at. Did you have your rifle(s) transfer as well? That's my concern, just want to make sure my rifle will check through to BUQ.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
What about Vic Falls?

Does Emirates fly into Vic Falls?

No, just Harare.

Posts: 756 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Garcia:

Robert,

Are you doing the flight that lands from DXB into JNB at 5:30AM then taking a direct connection on SA Airlink to BUQ at 10:40AM the same day?

That's the flight I am looking at. Did you have your rifle(s) transfer as well? That's my concern, just want to make sure my rifle will check through to BUQ.

Yes, that is the exact flight I took. I brought my rifle, and Emirates tagged and transferred it through to BUQ with zero issues.